AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Chief Toneologist

Default So what happens when Shindo gear sings?

I am starting this new thread because David (1KW) asked a question on another thread where I posted my position once and said I would post on it no more. I like to keep my word, so here we are.

The question was "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?"

I have already confessed a preference for progressive rock; a sub-genre that is often the subject of derision either for being pompous, self-important and self-indulgent, or for being too intellectual and "studied" and removed from the much more soulful and emotional blues-based rock. There is some truth in both of those positions, but progressive rock "moves" me as much if not more than "traditional" or "classic" rock. I grew up listening to groups like Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Yes, as well as several lesser known Italian progressive rock group such as PFM, Banco and Area. ProgRock music was imprinted in my teenage brain as I was learning to play guitar and listening to them, even a few decades later, activates all the right pleasure centers.

There was one problem though: Many of my favorite albums were recorded (or mastered) very poorly. Many sounded harsh or thin and I could not listen to them without a good dose of tone controls (remember all my posts about NEEDING tone controls?) In a way, possibly a subconscious way, my system directed my listening toward better recordings.

Since my "system transition", I've been listening to more progressive rock than ever. I've also upped my dosage of classic and hard rock, such as: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, and I haven't felt any need for tone controls or filtered my listening to take into account recording quality. My "audiophile approved" recordings, have been lingering at the bottom of the pile. I haven't see Diana Krall's face, or legs, on an album cover for months .

Since there are only so many hours in a day, I have been listening to less classical and jazz music. I must be making up for lost time with my progressive rock favorites. However, there are days when I feel I need a dose of Ludwig Van's symphonies, Monk's piano or Joe Pass' guitar, and they all sound great. The soundstage on symphonies spreads past the walls of my room and they sound as magnificent as ever, and Joe Pass "Solo" on vinyl sounds better and more intimate than ever.

So, my personal answer to original question "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?" is YES!.

It's not an either/or. I know that Stephen (TwoDot) listens mostly to jazz. These days, I listen more to rock - progressive or otherwise, but that may change over time.

In other words, with the Shindo + Tannoy I have stopped worrying about recording quality and just listen to the music I want to listen to, and it never fails to draw me in.

I hope this answers the question.

Alberto

PS The "hows and whys" of my system transition from 500+500W of McIntosh + Sonus Faber, to low-power + high-efficiency speakers, have been well documented in many other threads. After spending many years with high-power amps and somewhat power-hungry speakers, I decided to experiment with a different approach. Not because there was anything wrong with my previous setup. Quite the contrary, I was concerned that I would not be able to get back to its level of deliciousness.

There are many paths to great and satisfying sound. If your system gives you a daily dose of thrills and enjoyment, if you can't wait to start a listening session and can't stand to end one, then your system is right for you: whether it's a bank of high-power solid-state amps and speakers with 36 drivers, or flea-powered tube amps and speakers with one driver, or anything in between.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

HIGH POWER

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
....So, my personal answer to original question "Is Shindo good for rock music or more for jazz and classical ?" is YES!.

It's not an either/or. ...

-M
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
If your system gives you a daily dose of thrills and enjoyment, if you can't wait to start a listening session and can't stand to end one, then your system is right for you: whether it's a bank of high-power solid-state amps and speakers with 36 drivers, or flea-powered tube amps and speakers with one driver, or anything in between.
Yes, I FULLY agree Alberto! Wise words.

As this is a SHINDO thread, I wont say anything more. My "M" system does exactly that! Although I itch for "others", the music it makes brings me back to it.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
...I have stopped worrying about recording quality and just listen to the music I want to listen to, and it never fails to draw me in.
+1 Thats what its all about!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Very well said Alberto

The spell of Shindo gear is very strong. It is able to make one forget about all audiophiles wish list but concentrate more into the flow of music.
More importantly I find Shindo gears do not accomplished this by making the musing sound boring or exagerated but very natural and what make it so special; the timing is pitch perfect!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Alberto,

Nice to hear that your system has allowed you to come back to your roots... don't worry you'll also go back to jazz and other styles of music and you'll be surprised at how much you will enjoy them...

IN all things variety is the spice of life!!!.. I know it's cliche... but hey... when in Rome...
Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 PM

Alberto,

What kind of speaker cables do you use? Did you try Kondo silver cables?

Thomas
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record108 View Post
Alberto,

What kind of speaker cables do you use? Did you try Kondo silver cables?

Thomas
I have a bunch of speaker cables from past systems, I tried a few of them and settled (at least for now) on a vintage pair of Straight Wire Maestro. These cables sounded too bright with other systems, but are just right with the Shindo + Tannoy.

I see you have some Straight Wire cables yourself ... though they are probably a couple of generations newer.

Alberto
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I have a bunch of speaker cables from past systems, I tried a few of them and settled (at least for now) on a vintage pair of Straight Wire Maestro. These cables sounded too bright with other systems, but are just right with the Shindo + Tannoy.

I see you have some Straight Wire cables yourself ... though they are probably a couple of generations newer.

Alberto
The Straight Wire Crescendo II mentioned in my signature are my interconnects - excellent! But I also had (and have) speaker cables from the same series. Just out of curiosity, I swapped them for a pair of the much-acclaimed Kondo silver cables but am not sure that I like those so much. I was curious what you use with your Shindo system because the Kondos receive much praise from owners of tube amplifiers with low wattage like yours. I plan to make an A-B comparison (well, sort of) with the Straight Wires and the Kondos soon and then decide between them.