AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS0711 View Post
Years ago I bought a “B” stock Sub 250, for use with my Special 25s when watching movies. The synergy with the Dyns was fantastic, and it did a great job with cannon fire (think Master& Commander) and such. But I found unless I was playing classical music with a full orchestra it wasn’t really necessary. I still have it, and may bring it out again, but this time I’ll pair it up with my Marten Dukes. Like the S25s, I just can’t seem to part with it.
I have a very opposite experience to yours.

I have a REL sub with my Contour S1.4s. I find it most useful on classical music. In fact, I could do without it for listening to jazz, but it's when I play solo or chamber classical music that I get the most benefit having it. I always like to tell people the reason I have my REL sub is to get the most enjoyment out of my recording of Sigiswald Kuijken playing the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin. MY wife -- who always says she can't tell the difference -- noticed immediately what the sub brought to the Kuijken recordings (more wood, more dimension to the sound stage, better presence), and now considers them among her favorites.

Maybe you didn't get the synergy you thought you did, or didn't get it set up right. For what it's worth I tried to integrate my Sub500 and that was a disaster (as mentioned previously). I never got it to work or integrate correctly.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Dean,
Your experience parallel's mine exactly, having my REL in the system smoothed and evened out my musical presentation across the board. I originally got it to flesh out the lower octaves but found it made an improvement everywhere.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Dean,
Your experience parallel's mine exactly, having my REL in the system smoothed and evened out my musical presentation across the board. I originally got it to flesh out the lower octaves but found it made an improvement everywhere.
I no longer own an REL, but when I did my experience was the same.
Prior to the REL I tried to implement a Dynaudio subwoofer, but was never able to achieve the same magic that the subsequent REL provided.

For 2 channel use if I will always use an REL

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Learning to Listen

Just unboxed my T-5. Haven't hooked it up yet. Any advice? Where should I set it for the Dyn 140's? 30?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Just unboxed my T-5. Haven't hooked it up yet. Any advice? Where should I set it for the Dyn 140's? 30?
The REL manual has great advice for setting up your sub. I would follow that before considering any alternate advice, which you can find in abundance.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper

The REL manual has great advice for setting up your sub. I would follow that before considering any alternate advice, which you can find in abundance.
That requires reading........ Patience. Thought.

Plus, I'm sitting in the emergency room waiting for Mel to get some hand X-rays. Nothing to do but surf. Forgot my book.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
That requires reading........ Patience. Thought.

Plus, I'm sitting in the emergency room waiting for Mel to get some hand X-rays. Nothing to do but surf. Forgot my book.
So surf to the REL site and look at the manual. It's posted on their website. I really can't give you other advice. It's what I used.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Learning to Listen

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. It wasn't substantive, but apologies. Should have been under REL subwoofers.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Just purchased two of the Dynaudio BM12S (SUB 500) subwoofers for $1200 shipped from a Guitar Center in Florida. Originally paid $1400, but due to some minor shipping damage to some of the rear cabinet corners the manager credited $200 back to my credit card. They will be used in my theatre/music room with and Anthem D2, Bryston 9B-ST, Focus 220 MKII's, Focus 140's, and Focus 200C. Once i'm finished reconstructiog my basement I will post opinions. To be continued
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefguy View Post
Just purchased two of the Dynaudio BM12S (SUB 500) subwoofers for $1200 shipped from a Guitar Center in Florida. Originally paid $1400, but due to some minor shipping damage to some of the rear cabinet corners the manager credited $200 back to my credit card. They will be used in my theatre/music room with and Anthem D2, Bryston 9B-ST, Focus 220 MKII's, Focus 140's, and Focus 200C. Once i'm finished reconstructiog my basement I will post opinions. To be continued
Actually the BM14S is our professional version of the discontnued Sub 500, both are fantastic subwoofers.