AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Yes, the other room for me was upstairs with JM Lab Grand Utopia BE and a pair of VAC monoblocks, forget the model.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 AM

On the cable debate, if you are still wondering ......

I use Synergistic Research Apex - from CD to Pre-amp and their Precision Reference from Pre to power..... fantastic cables and outperforms others I tried.

I had Kimber KS-1136, but then tried the Yter XLR's and they were a little less relaxed, giving better treble and bass impact, to my ears. Almost bought those .... then I heard the Synergistic cables and had to go for them. They were better in all areas - OK yes, more costly ... but worth it.

Currently Using Kimber Crystal-24 speaker cable and will upgrade that soon-ish. Always found Kimber and SF work well, but clearly the Yter cable is used inside the Amati's - so a perfect match in real terms.

Having been so impressed with the Yter XLR's i do want to hear the speaker cable.

Will try and see - as I'm not sure I'll be able to stretch to Synergisitc Research Speaker cables at the level I want .... hmmm !!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM

I heard the Yter needs a long break in time because it's a solid core conductor.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Nice looking Amati's! I'm in my first couple of weeks with Graphite Cremona M's in an all Naim system (CD555/552/500/LP-12). The Cremona's sound very detailed and dynamic, but loose grip on the low end. Bass is a bit much, especially on modern recordings. Curious if the Amati's have better bass control? Anyone know how the mid/tweet are different between the two models? I'm liking the SF sound quite a bit... I'm eager to learn more about them.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Hi Spotshooter,

The Cremona are nice speakers, but for a system at that level, I'd have thought you'd want to go a little higher in the range! The Amatis are a favourite of at least one member of the Naim Hi Fi forum, with a similar system, you might want to get another opinion there. They do require some work to set up, though.

-- Daniel

Last edited by daniel; 10-24-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Hey Daniel,

Yes, I have head Edouard's Amati's w/ his Naim system. He makes a great sound. That was my first experience with SF and was the catalyst for buying the Cremona's. I agree I need to look up the line. The Amati's seem like a natural choice... I listened to the Guarneri's recently and thought they were quite good, but I worry about the bottom end (I'm not a fan of subs, so I won't go there).

Any thoughts on the Elipsa?

(Sorry don't mean to thread-jack, but I can't post new topics here)
Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 PM

I liked the Elipsa quite a lot ... compared to the Cremona which I also liked in it's own right, but the Elipsa gives more depth and detail .... but don't listen to the Amati unless you can afford them - the others sound somewhat as if they 'struggle' when compared to the effortless ease of Amati !!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Just reviewing the cable recommendations, thanks everyone,

"Stay with the transparent cables ..."
"Yter is a better match ..."
"the Kimber KS3035 ..."
"Kubala Elations ..."
"Crystal ..."
"Synergistic Research Apex..."

So now it's all perfectly clear!

Of the options, it looks like the only one that allows me to get full trade in for the Transparent is Kimber. I asked Kimber, and they recommended PK10 Palladian power cords, KS 3035 speaker cables, and KS 1130 analog interconnects. Still thinking about it. Any more comments welcome. Does anyone think that this might not be an improvement?

I'm also thinking about line conditioners. I currently have a Transparent Power Isolator 8, and it so happens to be black, when I'd prefer silver to go with the other gear. It looks like the only products I could easily trade it in for would be a new Transparent, or a PS Audio. I've heard mixed things about the PS Audio PPP, but it seems to be a favourite in this forum. Any feedback would be appreciated.

If I make those changes, that's going to be it for a while, I have no desire to keep swapping things in and out.

Thanks!
Daniel
Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Daniel...I forget if this has been already suggested earlier in the thread but why don't you try out a few of these cable suggestions (incl the kimbers) from the Cable Company (www.thecableco.com), which has a lending library of almost any cable you would want. Try out a few and compare and see which suits you best. If the issue is getting max trade-in value, you can see if they have similar deal or not. Just a thought as this will allow you to actually try out different cable options before making a final selection.

PS: I believe 1KW (David) and Aerosmith have the Kimber cables you are considering so you may want to ask them their opinions on those specifically.

Last edited by cmalak; 11-02-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Daniel...I forget if this has been already suggested earlier in the thread but why don't you try out a few of these cable suggestions (incl the kimbers) from the Cable Company
Thanks for the suggestion, but my understanding is that they don't lend outside the US, I'm in Canada, so I don't think that's an option.

-- Daniel