AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Money goes where it is Invited, and stays where it is Well Treated.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
I have no horse (either dead or alive) in this race as I do not own this unit. I'm 100% in Penthouse-D's corner as I find it unbelievable that I have been reading about this issue for so long with no resolution. On many of these threads the responses are don't waste your time ranting about or worrying about these issues. I don't understand that line of thinking as I like to be informed of the latest happenings/updates and what people think about their products. If the post is not interesting to you, just skip it.
Likewise, I also have no horse in this race but am on Penthouse-D's corner that if Mc cannot provide the resolution to meet advertised specs after a reasonable amount of time, then a full refund should have already been offered. IMHO, this is NOT beating a dead horse but keeping a long-standing issue from being forgotten.

MikeSp
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
I have no horse (either dead or alive) in this race as I do not own this unit. I'm 100% in Penthouse-D's corner as I find it unbelievable that I have been reading about this issue for so long with no resolution. On many of these threads the responses are don't waste your time ranting about or worrying about these issues. I don't understand that line of thinking as I like to be informed of the latest happenings/updates and what people think about their products. If the post is not interesting to you, just skip it.
It was the same when the MCD201 was released. The few who got good units did not want to hear the truth about MCD201.

The bottom line is McIntosh should stick to amps.

They simply cannot do Cd players right.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
Yes. From a recent post on another discussion. Chuck Hinton said, "we're working on it". It's the principle of the matter. I work very hard to net 10K. If I give it to a company in exchange for goods. They should operate as promised or give me a full refund or some sort of credit. Don't give me this BS, we're working on it. Not for a$10K CD player. Not for over a year. Yeah, I should go buy an Olive to get my $10K CD player to work properly. What about my $4000 MR88 tuner that didn't work properly? And the C50 I briefly owned that was a complete fiasco? As much as I wished and hoped, this is not the same McIntosh I admired in my youth. There is NO OTHER premium audio company that has these problems. It's time we stop being so complacent.
Jim.......Just sell all your McIntosh and start over like several others here have done. Take the hit and be done with them, then go with whatever audio company you think is absolutely trouble free. According to you, it should be all the rest of them, so finding one should be a cake walk. Good luck, though, finding that flawless manufacturer. Your statement, "There is NO OTHER premium audio company that has these problems", is a mighty broad brush stroke. My question is, just how many other audio companies have you actually done business with in order for you to make such an unqualified statement such as that? I can name plenty of other audio companies who have had their share of issues, some successfully solved and some not. It is simply not a perfect world. If it is made by the hand of man, it is subject to flaws, omissions, and outright failure. So what is new?

As far as complacency is concerned, I am not complacent. I am happy with my McIntosh equipment. For over forty years I have been happy with McIntosh gear. Even when I discovered the design flaw in the MEN220, and that was a big flaw, McIntosh redesigned the circuit, retrofitted my MEN220 and everyone else's MEN220 that had the issue. That is excellent customer service in my book.

I performed a firmware update on my MR88 without a hitch. C50 and C48 owners, the ones who actually followed the instructions, have been successful updating the preamp's firmware. The one bricked C50 I am aware of here was due to a member trying to install the firmware update from an Apple computer running virtual Windows. That isn't McIntosh's fault. The firmware instructions stated using Windows XP on a PC. Firmware updates are common among all manufacturers using software control over hardware functionality. It's part of the digital world we live in. I agree that McIntosh would have gotten far less flack if the MCD1100 firmware had arrived ahead of the C48/C50 firmware, but it doesn't strike me as reason enough to carry such a vendetta.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM
What?

Holy smokes Dan, well said
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
...As far as complacency is concerned, I am not complacent. I am happy with my McIntosh equipment. For over forty years I have been happy with McIntosh gear. Even when I discovered the design flaw in the MEN220, and that was a big flaw, McIntosh redesigned the circuit, retrofitted my MEN220 and everyone else's MEN220 that had the issue. That is excellent customer service in my book....
.. I also remember how you and several others were getting a mite impatient and a little hot under the collar in how long it took McIntosh to correct the problem. In the end perseverance, faith and a little loyalty paid off. I believe the other company that designed room perfect still hasn't even acknowledged the problem? I could be wrong...

If McIntosh is taking so long in providing firmware upgrades, then there is a REASON for it. I cannot believe that McIntosh is simply ignoring its customers or its brand. Every year, the competition steps up.

Yes it is frustrating when you spend so much money on a piece of equipment and that a simple update isn't forthcoming. I can appreciate that. I do have empathy for those who are frustrated, and yes McIntosh should take heed. My instincts tell me they have. But, they will not provide a rush solution only to have to do it all over again in 3 months.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
.. I also remember how you and several others were getting a mite impatient and a little hot under the collar in how long it took McIntosh to correct the problem. In the end perseverance, faith and a little loyalty paid off. I believe the other company that designed room perfect still hasn't even acknowledged the problem? I could be wrong...

If McIntosh is taking so long in providing firmware upgrades, then there is a REASON for it. I cannot believe that McIntosh is simply ignoring its customers or its brand. Every year, the competition steps up.

Yes it is frustrating when you spend so much money on a piece of equipment and that a simple update isn't forthcoming. I can appreciate that. I do have empathy for those who are frustrated, and yes McIntosh should take heed. My instincts tell me they have. But, they will not provide a rush solution only to have to do it all over again in 3 months.
Rock.......Good post. Yes, I remember getting a bit wound up over the MEN220 issue, primarily because it was making the MC501's I had at that time run hot and shut down. I devoted a large number of hours trouble shooting the issue, documenting my discoveries here, and dealing with McIntosh to find out what was wrong. Once the true issue with the balanced output was identified, and McIntosh was satisfied that was the cause of the balanced amplifiers overheating, they set about redesigning the balanced output circuits, and then corrected the units previously sold.

My frustration over the USB input doesn't approach that of the MEN220, primarily due to the fact that I am still able to enjoy and use my MCD1100's with great satisfaction and pleasure. I have used the USB input at 16 Bit/44.1 kHz with excellent results, so it isn't as though the USB input is broken and useless. I feed 24 Bit/192 kHz files into the MCD1100's fiber input with complete satisfaction. Being able to use the MCD1100 isn't the same as not being able to use the MEN220 at all. It's a horse of a different color, and is reflected in my temperment over the issue.

Ultimately, with the MEN220, McIntosh demonstrated they have their customer's interests at heart. This is why I agree with your last paragraph. I would rather wait and have the firmware totally functional, than to rush it out the door with bugs. Frankly, I won't be using the USB input anyway.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Firstly, I should take the financial hit for the poor quality control? The COMPANY should step up to the plate and take SOME sort of responsibility. Yes, old Mac in it's day was great. Hate to tell you my friend, it's been tossed around like an unwanted stepchild until Bain rescued it. Now it's the bottom line. Not quality that drives the company. Take a look at the ARC board, the Conrad Johnson board etc and see how thse companies treat their customers and see if the are CONSTANT quality control issues. How does a company CONSTANTLY ship new product that DOESN'T work properly???!! Deadlines? Quartely numbers? Abusive to the loyal customers. You guys are in complete denial. You may even drive a Saab! LOL

Last edited by Penthouse-D; 08-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM

"I devoted a large number of hours trouble shooting the issue, documenting my discoveries here, and dealing with McIntosh to find out what was wrong. Once the true issue with the balanced output was identified, and McIntosh was satisfied that was the cause of the balanced amplifiers overheating, they set about redesigning the balanced output circuits, and then corrected the units previously sold."

Dan - I can only wish to have the patience and understanding that you have with your equipment. I think the part that bothers me (just my opinion) is that you found the problem and you had to tell them what the issue was. As far as I know, this was not "beta testing" equipment that they provided you for free to work out their kinks. Somehow this "flaw" did not show up during any of their pre-release quality testing. If I remember right, you were running nothing but McIntosh equipment and were not running anything so unusual that good quality control would not have picked up on it.

They did the right thing in the end, but it should never have been released. Same holds true with this product. Don't release something that is not delivering 100% of the promoted features.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
Firstly, I should take the financial hit for the poor quality control? The COMPANY should step up to the plate and take SOME sort of responsibility. Yes, old Mac in it's day was great. Hate to tell you my friend, it's been tossed around like an unwanted stepchild until Bain rescued it. Now it's the bottom line. Not quality that drives the company. Take a look at the ARC board, the Conrad Johnson board etc and see how thse companies treat their customers and see if the are CONSTANT quality control issues. You guys are in complete denial. You may even drive a Saab! LOL
..Hey what's wrong with SAAB?...

I'm an Infiniti man myself. You haven't taken a financial hit until you sell the MCD1100 for a loss.

Here's my prediction. McIntosh will issue a firmware update in due course, maybe not as soon as you would like but it will.

If you wait till they do and then enjoy your MCD1100 for a few years, when you do decide to sell it because of new much better product that will certainly be available, you will be surprised at how much you sell your MCD1100 for and you will be telling yourself, Hmm... I guess that by being a little patient I actually did allright. Because I can guarantee you your MCD1100 will sell without a problem, now, or down the road.

However, other products, which are available now and may actually work as advertised, may be discontinued overnight and unless you buy something that is as expensive as a McIntosh, won't hold its value like a McIntosh product can. Let me give you an example.. I own the MCD500. I could sell that for.. about $4500. Which is more than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

You've suggested that we are in denial. Perhaps. But I don't think so. I believe I am being realistic and patient. I think McIntosh is actually going to bet better in the next 5 years or so. People who own McIntosh equipment will reap the benefits.

If you are really and totally disillusioned with McIntosh and its customer service, then why not sell your MCD1100. I think you will have it sold in a matter of days. If you really think that you've been cheated, then it's time to move on. Don't you think?
Closed Thread