AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 AM

I apologize to everybody about my sheepishness regarding starting threads. Spoke to trponhunter today for about an hour. It's a big decision, the color, I mean (yuk,yuk). The color will be black, either the Sasha's or the Maxx's. The Sasha's are the logical choice, but when it comes to something like this, logic is sometimes thrown to the wind and you go with the heart. I like the power, dynamics, size, and magnetism of the Maxx so much. I'll let everybody know next week. It's a toss up and again, thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Charles, I would lean heavily on trponhunter's advice.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Charles, I would lean heavily on trponhunter's advice.
I've heard that trponhunter is an amazing guy when it comes to Wilsons. But he does like Rocky Mountain Oysters so be careful!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I apologize to everybody about my sheepishness regarding starting threads. Spoke to trponhunter today for about an hour. It's a big decision, the color, I mean (yuk,yuk). The color will be black, either the Sasha's or the Maxx's. The Sasha's are the logical choice, but when it comes to something like this, logic is sometimes thrown to the wind and you go with the heart. I like the power, dynamics, size, and magnetism of the Maxx so much. I'll let everybody know next week. It's a toss up and again, thanks.
If the Maxx is the speaker your heart desires, go for it. Otherwise you know how it goes, wish I bought the Maxx.... Wish I bought the Maxx...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Hi, I've owned WP 6's, 8's and now Maxx 3's. I've heard the sasha's extensively at my dealers. I really doubt you can go wrong here between the two. The other posters have given some great advice.

The scaling the Maxx 3 can do is pretty special for me. I to have somewhat what of a a frame type of room, I have some pics posted at another site. (private msg me if you want the link to the pics)

I'm running my Maxx 3's with Ayre MXR's, Nagra PLL and VPS for Pre/phono, DCS Puccini/Uclock and Grand Prix Monaco turntable with Triplanar arm/Allaerts MC finish cart. Cabling is Transparent MM2/Shunyata power cords/cond...

The Maxx 3 and Sasha's will expose everything, so if the Maxx 3 eats your entire budget, the Sasha's + other changes is certainly a safe route.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM

@ Charles

A picture/several pictures of your room could be very helpful.
And please give us the direction the speakers should emit.

I drive the even bigger X-1 in a very small room. It works very well.

The high of you ceiling in the middel with 8' feet is the very minimum for the Maxx!!! If we would talk about a X (1 or 2) I must say: No!

Your other components should work very well with the Maxx.

After seeing pictures of the room I think I and all here can give you a more solidly answer about the chances and the risks.

Best regards!
Friedrich

Last edited by Friedrich; 11-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 AM

Friedrich, Look under Community. I have about 15 pics posted. The room is a full 15" 3', sidewalls 5', length is 40 feet. I have had excellent imaging and soundstaging with Thiel CS5's (64"), Gen II (72" and quite wide), and my XRT 30's. It's what makes me think that the Maxx's will do even better than the Thiels, for example. By my calcs I can easily get 9.6' between the tweeters. The folks at Wilson have a similar show room (a-frame rec room above a garage just like me) with Maxx's in them. Works great.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Hello Charles!

I have seen the pictures. Due to the hight of the ceiling and the a-frame I am very sceptical about the result. It is ab big risk. In my experience the room is below the possible limit for a room which is able to work with a Maxx.

Of course, you can try it and I wish you that it will work very well and you are satisfied. But I think the performance will stay considerably below its possibilities.

The size of the room will be O. K. The hight of the ceiling ist the absolut limit for a Maxx. But this hight combined with the a-frame ceiling is more than difficult....

The used materials in the room will decide the success or failure. That is my exprience and opinion.

Nevertheless - great hifi gear!

I wish I could make the tests with you.

Best regards!
Friedrich

Last edited by Friedrich; 11-25-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Freidrich, what did you mean by the "materials used in the room"? Also what do you think of the Polaris used as L/R speakers? NoahG recommended them and I went back and listened to the Clip. They would fit into the room. With the speaker 5" from the side wall the tweeter/mid would be 24" leaving 11' between the tweeters. The speaker has a front port and is designed to be next to the rear wall. Don't think sidewalls would be a problem, certainly no more so than with anyother speaker. I don't think the outside woofer is a factor regarding reflections but it could affect the bass. NoahG recommended this approach.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Friedrich, Look under Community. I have about 15 pics posted. The room is a full 15" 3', sidewalls 5', length is 40 feet. I have had excellent imaging and soundstaging with Thiel CS5's (64"), Gen II (72" and quite wide), and my XRT 30's. It's what makes me think that the Maxx's will do even better than the Thiels, for example. By my calcs I can easily get 9.6' between the tweeters. The folks at Wilson have a similar show room (a-frame rec room above a garage just like me) with Maxx's in them. Works great.

Yes, my parents run Maxx 3's in an "A-frame" type of theater room above their garage (along with a Polaris as a center, Thor's Hammer, and Sophia 3's for surrounds) - Great sounding room!

Sorry the photo is so dark - I took it during a demo we did for some dealers a couple months back. we were watching a scene from the movie "War of the Worlds" - WOW is the only suitable word to describe it!!!