AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Shane,

Just saw this thread. You have enough power for the Sasha's for moderate loud volumes. But louder you will need more power. They sounded great with the latest VTL 450s but fully cranked up ran out of steam. Your amps would be great with Maxx's or Alexandria's. I have a feeling upgrading to X2s would be $ better spent than getting a more powerful amp.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazngad View Post
Shane,

Just saw this thread. You have enough power for the Sasha's for moderate loud volumes. But louder you will need more power. They sounded great with the latest VTL 450s but fully cranked up ran out of steam. Your amps would be great with Maxx's or Alexandria's. I have a feeling upgrading to X2s would be $ better spent than getting a more powerful amp.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Hi Darren, good to see you lurking

The VTL taps are at 5 ohms right? That may be one reason. The cj taps are 4ohms, however the Sasha is the hardest Wilson to drive from all reports, yet most say sound great with tubes.
I can't afford Maxx 3's or X2's

I am visting a guy tomorrow nad he has sasha's being driven by 35 watt SET's. that will be interesting.
Playing vinyl also places a lot more demands on the system compared to CD's.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Hi gents
Will a pair of Sasha's be able to drive and fill a large room of around 26 x 23 with normal 8 ft ceilings?
Hello Turntable,
hello all!

This is not a large room/not a very large room in my opinion and I live in Germany. Old German houses have small rooms. But this isn't a large/very large room not even for German standards.
The Sasha will perform very well in such a size of a room. Corresponding to my experience the bass needs room for his full potential.
The used amps could be worth a different consideration.

Further more I think this size of the room is near to the optimum size of a room for the Sasha's. O. K. it depends on the materials in the room, too.
If a woofer is required or not, depends on the kind of music you prefer. Maybe hard rock, metal or something like that could be a reason for subwoofer. But for normal levels the Sasha's should be able to fill this room.

Some people think that the optimal size of the room for a Wilson X is about 150 Square meter = 1614 Square foot or more. Then a Wilson X is able to give her full potential.

Speculations go up to 300 Square meter = 3229 Square foot. But I think this a little to much.

Quote:
Hi gents
I am visting a guy tomorrow nad he has sasha's being driven by 35 watt SET's. that will be interesting.
Playing vinyl also places a lot more demands on the system compared to CD's.
Oh, please give us a report! That is very, very interesting! Thank you in advance.

Best regards!
Friedrich

Last edited by Friedrich; 11-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Thought I would give a quick update on the Saha's I heard being driven by 35 watt SET's.

The room was probably 15ft wide and 35+ feet long. Listening was very much in the nearfield in around a 9ft equalibrium. That is very close compared to my more midfield listening in my room.

How did they sound - pretty darn good. Nice smooth upper frquencies and see through midrange. How did the 35watt SET's drive the sasha's - I would say adequately. Everything sounded fine, however I could hear some fattening of the bass, however hard to tell as it is difficult to play speakers LOUD in this nearfield environment. They never sounded as if they were having any real trouble driving the sasha's. Given Art Dudley had similar sucess with his low powered tube amps, its looks as thou it is possible to enjoy low pwered amps with the sasha's given the right circumstances.
I would have liked to have heard this system at around 12-13ft from the speakers, as this would have told me more about the ability to drive the speakers.

This system did sound better than the dealers shop which was driven by Gryphon CD, ARC ref5/ref 150's. His amps are Cymer SE-35 monoblock SET's. being his home system, he has had the time to dial it in better one would guess.

One thing I have noticed compared to my room/Strads is the size of the soundstage and soundstage height and the more upper air extention vs the Sasha's in this system and the dealers shop.

I listen almost extensively to vinyl with tube phono stages and extended LOMC's which gives a great deal of air, extension and that 3D vinyl effect that I love.
The two systems I listened to were CD based only, so perhaps that may have been one of the differences with the lack of upper air /extension with the CD driven Sasha's?

Are the Sasha's capable of the upper airyness that my Strads do extremely well?

cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Thought I would give a quick update on the Saha's I heard being driven by 35 watt SET's.

The room was probably 15ft wide and 35+ feet long. Listening was very much in the nearfield in around a 9ft equalibrium. That is very close compared to my more midfield listening in my room.

How did they sound - pretty darn good. Nice smooth upper frquencies and see through midrange. How did the 35watt SET's drive the sasha's - I would say adequately. Everything sounded fine, however I could hear some fattening of the bass, however hard to tell as it is difficult to play speakers LOUD in this nearfield environment. They never sounded as if they were having any real trouble driving the sasha's. Given Art Dudley had similar sucess with his low powered tube amps, its looks as thou it is possible to enjoy low pwered amps with the sasha's given the right circumstances.
I would have liked to have heard this system at around 12-13ft from the speakers, as this would have told me more about the ability to drive the speakers.

This system did sound better than the dealers shop which was driven by Gryphon CD, ARC ref5/ref 150's. His amps are Cymer SE-35 monoblock SET's. being his home system, he has had the time to dial it in better one would guess.

One thing I have noticed compared to my room/Strads is the size of the soundstage and soundstage height and the more upper air extention vs the Sasha's in this system and the dealers shop.

I listen almost extensively to vinyl with tube phono stages and extended LOMC's which gives a great deal of air, extension and that 3D vinyl effect that I love.
The two systems I listened to were CD based only, so perhaps that may have been one of the differences with the lack of upper air /extension with the CD driven Sasha's?

Are the Sasha's capable of the upper airyness that my Strads do extremely well?

cheers
Shane, 35w on Sashas only tells you that just about any amp will make any speaker make "sound" and play some "music". Extracting all the performance the speaker is capable of, well, that is a whole different story... Yes, the Sasha is more than capable of frequency extremes and airyness. It all depends on the rest of the system. I've said it before and I will always say the same thing, modern Wilson speakers are very much chameleon like, the more you hear them with different systems, the more you realize that you will never be able to nail their character...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Shane, 35w on Sashas only tells you that just about any amp will make any speaker make "sound" and play some "music". Extracting all the performance the speaker is capable of, well, that is a whole different story... Yes, the Sasha is more than capable of frequency extremes and airyness. It all depends on the rest of the system. I've said it before and I will always say the same thing, modern Wilson speakers are very much chameleon like, the more you hear them with different systems, the more you realize that you will never be able to nail their character...
Serge,

35 watt SET's would not be something I would drive any 4ohm or below speaker, let alone the Sasha's - however Friedrich did want a report on what I heard

It does seem for certain that the former Wilson lean/bright character is no longer, unless your system feeding it is that way.

cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Serge,

35 watt SET's would not be something I would drive any 4ohm or below speaker, let alone the Sasha's - however Friedrich did want a report on what I heard

It does seem for certain that the former Wilson lean/bright character is no longer, unless your system feeding it is that way.

cheers
Correct. There is no leanness, or forwardness or any other bad, bad traits. Only music as good as the rest of your system can muster.