AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Hey Guys

Please give me a few of the best articles to read on Bass traps, room treatments etc. I am visual so if there is a video to watch thats even better. Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Take a look at GIK Acoustics.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Bill - here is the ones I use: http://www.atsacoustics.com/

They have a free room calculator to get your started. I like their Art Acoustic Panels.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks KMC45 and Mike; I thought I would educate myself about the science of treatment. The only concept I understand right now is that of "standing waves". I have a lot to learn but I did not want to "google" just any old site. Thought I would ask the experts.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Default Converting Speaker Boxes to Bass Traps

But seriously I am curious how people store their speaker boxes. The Elipsas boxes are huge. I have been told that they can not be broken down because they will never have the same integrity when rebuilt. So where do you store your boxes?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by william13 View Post
But seriously I am curious how people store their speaker boxes. The Elipsas boxes are huge. I have been told that they can not be broken down because they will never have the same integrity when rebuilt. So where do you store your boxes?
I have a 800-900 sq foot walk up attic (not pull down stairs). So, for me its a piece of cake & convenient like no tomorrow.

If you do not have room, suggest maybe looking into a small storage facility -- maybe you could make wide use of the rental by adding some other stuff that is lying around.

That is good advise on the the Elipsa boxes -- having just boxed up the Strads, the boxes would lose their integrity if you broken them down to a 'flat' state.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM

I rent a storage unit. I have all my boxes in there, the Christmas stuff and all sorts of crap my wife refuses to sell or give away. Bill, don't you need a storage unit for all your work stuff (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM

I have a couple of academic questions for the experts. If one has speakers with 91 db sensitivity and one is listening from 3 meters away and you like average listening levels of 85 db what is the minimal level of power an amp must have to hit 100 db such as a cannon shot in the 1812 overture? Also if the cannon sound is at 8hz how does a speaker that only goes down to 30 reproduce that sound?

Last edited by william13; 12-29-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 AM
From the BAT cave ...

I don't know the answer to the first question, but the answer to the second is that the speakers will NOT go down to 8 H. But they may distort like crazy trying to do so. Be careful trying to hit 100 dB output from something that low from a speaker that cannot do it and an amp that is not strong enough - you may clip the amps and thereby damage the speakers.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I don't know the answer to the first question, but the answer to the second is that the speakers will NOT go down to 8 H. But they may distort like crazy trying to do so. Be careful trying to hit 100 dB output from something that low from a speaker that cannot do it and an amp that is not strong enough - you may clip the amps and thereby damage the speakers.
You are right. The numbers just do not add up. I was reading about the SACD of the 1812 and they were describing decibels up to 105 during the shot. Using a web based calculator (see below)

Amplifier Power Required Calculator

I learned that the 275s mono'd even with the Elipsa SE could not meet these demands. Thats fine with me because 98% of the music I like would never be this taxing. But I am beginning to get insight into why many like "the power".

Another big question I have is about "loudness" I have trouble with sustained listening over 85db. I read that if there is distortion the music sounds louder. So I am wondering if my intolerance to loudness is really my reaction to distortion. But I do not hear any sounds I feel are unnatural. The question is "is distortion always evident or can it be subliminal?"