AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 AM

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_2634.JPG

It will interesting to compare the 45 SET to my awesome Inspire Fire Bottle PSE playing through the mighty Chorus II's. I know there will a different sonic presentation between the two amps. Right now I'm not sure what exactly to expect?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Thanks decooney, all the amps sounded great in their own way.
A lot of PSE variants and also BearCity brought his Inspire KT-88 amp, though I did not get a picture of it, I will say that it was very nice to hear a well burned in amp at the session, these guys just get better and better over time.
...straitwire

The pics are helpful to initially compare the visuals of the stereo vs. mono amps and components. We are clearly able to see all 3 transformers and two output tubes on one chassis for the Stereo amp. And, what appears to be at least one slightly larger transformer with two output tubes per amp chassis on the Monos. It's hard to see, but is the mono chassis slightly larger?

Last edited by decooney; 07-14-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Those output transformers on the mono amps look like what I have on my stereo amp. Are those 20W OTs?
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Hey decooney, the PSE chassis is the same size as the rest of the FireBottle/Hot Rod style amps and the preamps, we call it the 8x10

Yes Bombadil, they are 20 watt output transformers
Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 PM

I was lucky enough to be present yesterday for the listening session. More people, more amps, more insights and much fun. Learned some new things and most important I got to hear the final versions of the Universal amps. To start, I had a realization which I confirmed with Dennis. My prior understanding of the name ‘Universal’ was that it was somehow solving the SET vs SEP dilemma. That was not exactly accurate. The term really comes from the design not being tailored to a given tube. To date all our amps have been made to make the most of and in turn named for a given tube. The Universal circuit is not that way. It is universal in that it is not tailored to a specific tube type. The effect is amazing. When switching tubes you hear immediate and definitive differences. There was no wondering if you are hearing a change. I doubt this was a specific intention but more of a welcome result.

Last I visited just a few weeks ago I was able to hear his Universal 2 channel and one PSE (T) mono. (See previous write up). There was a collective guffaw when we hooked up the PSE (P) 2 channel Inspire. IMHO It rather belittled all the triode strapped circuits. I understand afterword Dennis went back to the shop with a bit of determination. The prototype Universals were not ready for market. They were missing something. They had that midrange magic but not the punch you get from the SEP designs. (BTW, I am not referring to SPL. That is handled by the volume knob.) We all heard it and Dennis was going to apply his genius to this. He was successful, big time. What he has done is add the high and low sparkle and punch to the mid range magic of the triode strapped pentodes. A remarkable achievement. We listened to a Willie Nelson track over and over. There was a weight to Willie’s voice on the Universals not present on on the other amps. Something akin to the depth of his lungs as he belted out the lyric. Hard to explain but not my imagination I assure. A significant improvement.

As Tony (Straitwire) mentioned earlier today here, I tempted fate by bringing along my 2013 KT 66/88/120. This may have been an early attempt by Dennis at a universal design. It has bias switch on it, though, as I recall, it was still designed with the KT 88 as the baseline. I have had Dennis add a second rectifier for the IIPS mod. This is a very unique amp at this point and it has many thousands of hours on it. Hours not easily replaced. I am very attached to it. Would it hold up? It took a few minutes to warm up and a russian 6f6g I brought did not survive the trip but it did get a chance to sing. (Thanks Tony for throwing in some of those metal jacket 6L6s.) The temptation was strong to leave it there. Dennis is working out a trade in policy. Strong temptation. The Universals are that good. They had less than 100 hours on them and were refined well beyond my KT,... and I love that KT amp. The KT went back in the car.

I had wanted to throw in a PSE (P) 2 channel as maybe I would trade in mine. There was a copper tone prototype PSE(P) there in a repurposed organ amp chassis. Sadly I ran out of time. Kids and wife were ready to be picked up so as to complete our journey to the coast. It was a welcome coincidence that I was headed East on the same day the guys were getting together. My awesome wife was nice enough to take the kids to a movie while I went over to the shop for a listen. Sadly I could not stick around for a while longer.

Back to those Universals. I have been writing this off and on today and wondering, was my original understanding of them correct? Do they settle the SET (Single ended beam powered tube wired in a triode configuration. Not to be confused with true Triodes like AA’s 45 & 71a PSEs.) vs SEP Inspire decision? Do they make my PSE or KT amps obsolete? They are something special. I have been rationalizing some both ways. Go ahead and get one, or two. I’m in the middle of a major addition/renovation to my house, it can wait. Back and forth, back and forth. In the end, they do not diminish the quality of mine unless I let them, which I am trying not to do. If I was to order another inspire tomorrow I would get the Universal... and I may.

Scott
Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
Attachment 55883

Attachment 55884

It will interesting to compare the 45 SET to my awesome Inspire Fire Bottle PSE playing through the mighty Chorus II's. I know there will a different sonic presentation between the two amps. Right now I'm not sure what exactly to expect?
Expect to be amazed with the spooky realness. :thumbsup
Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I was lucky enough to be present yesterday for the listening session. More people, more amps, more insights and much fun. Learned some new things and most important I got to hear the final versions of the Universal amps. To start, I had a realization which I confirmed with Dennis. My prior understanding of the name ‘Universal’ was that it was somehow solving the SET vs SEP dilemma. That was not exactly accurate. The term really comes from the design not being tailored to a given tube. To date all our amps have been made to make the most of and in turn named for a given tube. The Universal circuit is not that way. It is universal in that it is not tailored to a specific tube type. The effect is amazing. When switching tubes you hear immediate and definitive differences. There was no wondering if you are hearing a change. I doubt this was a specific intention but more of a welcome result.

Last I visited just a few weeks ago I was able to hear his Universal 2 channel and one PSE (T) mono. (See previous write up). There was a collective guffaw when we hooked up the PSE (P) 2 channel Inspire. IMHO It rather belittled all the triode strapped circuits. I understand afterword Dennis went back to the shop with a bit of determination. The prototype Universals were not ready for market. They were missing something. They had that midrange magic but not the punch you get from the SEP designs. (BTW, I am not referring to SPL. That is handled by the volume knob.) We all heard it and Dennis was going to apply his genius to this. He was successful, big time. What he has done is add the high and low sparkle and punch to the mid range magic of the triode strapped pentodes. A remarkable achievement. We listened to a Willie Nelson track over and over. There was a weight to Willie’s voice on the Universals not present on on the other amps. Something akin to the depth of his lungs as he belted out the lyric. Hard to explain but not my imagination I assure. A significant improvement.

As Tony (Straitwire) mentioned earlier today here, I tempted fate by bringing along my 2013 KT 66/88/120. This may have been an early attempt by Dennis at a universal design. It has bias switch on it, though, as I recall, it was still designed with the KT 88 as the baseline. I have had Dennis add a second rectifier for the IIPS mod. This is a very unique amp at this point and it has many thousands of hours on it. Hours not easily replaced. I am very attached to it. Would it hold up? It took a few minutes to warm up and a russian 6f6g I brought did not survive the trip but it did get a chance to sing. (Thanks Tony for throwing in some of those metal jacket 6L6s.) The temptation was strong to leave it there. Dennis is working out a trade in policy. Strong temptation. The Universals are that good. They had less than 100 hours on them and were refined well beyond my KT,... and I love that KT amp. The KT went back in the car.

I had wanted to throw in a PSE (P) 2 channel as maybe I would trade in mine. There was a copper tone prototype PSE(P) there in a repurposed organ amp chassis. Sadly I ran out of time. Kids and wife were ready to be picked up so as to complete our journey to the coast. It was a welcome coincidence that I was headed East on the same day the guys were getting together. My awesome wife was nice enough to take the kids to a movie while I went over to the shop for a listen. Sadly I could not stick around for a while longer.

Back to those Universals. I have been writing this off and on today and wondering, was my original understanding of them correct? Do they settle the SET (Single ended beam powered tube wired in a triode configuration. Not to be confused with true Triodes like AA’s 45 & 71a PSEs.) vs SEP Inspire decision? Do they make my PSE or KT amps obsolete? They are something special. I have been rationalizing some both ways. Go ahead and get one, or two. I’m in the middle of a major addition/renovation to my house, it can wait. Back and forth, back and forth. In the end, they do not diminish the quality of mine unless I let them, which I am trying not to do. If I was to order another inspire tomorrow I would get the Universal... and I may.

Scott
Looks like I need to head to NC, stop in Mayberry, get a pie from Aunt Bea and go to the Toy Factory.

*I* thought the universal's forte was the ability to drive a wide range of speaker impedances.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Scott
Can a previous built Inspire amp (in my case a 6L6 Fire Bottle built on 1-2-15) be upgraded to be a Universal?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

*I* thought the universal's forte was the ability to drive a wide range of speaker impedances.

I think his amps have always had that capability. As we were hooking up my 2013 KT amp which has 4 & 8 ohm taps D said to hook to the 8 ohm taps to drive his 2 ohm speakers, the tall ones in his shop listening room. Plug and play. Gotta love it.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I think his amps have always had that capability. As we were hooking up my 2013 KT amp which has 4 & 8 ohm taps D said to hook to the 8 ohm taps to drive his 2 ohm speakers, the tall ones in his shop listening room. Plug and play. Gotta love it.
From a Universal listing on the auction site:

DESIGNED TO DRIVE REAL WORLD LOUDSPEAKERS IN THE 90 dB SPL RANGE OR BETTER AT 2 OHMS TO 20 OHM IMPEDANCE

I looked at the circuit/construction, I don't know squat about design, and it is very different than my triode amp. Like your 2013 KT it ain't goin nowhere.

Do you recall what speakers were being used?