AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-13-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I'm on for the November 7 Paragon event. Will you be attending?
I'm signed up. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:38 PM

I should mention that my purchase of an XVX is somewhat closer, since I have tentatively determined it will fit and operate properly in my room. Basically I will be able to locate the XVX in the exact location of my Alexx which was the exact location of my Maxx3. If this were not possible I would probably not buy the speaker. There is still a tremendous amount of work left to do which I won't go into but the initial evaluation is positive. Previously, I had thought for a long time, the speaker just too large for my room, which was very disappointing since I have always wanted a super speaker and now have the money to buy one. Since I have owned a Maxx3 and now have had an Alexx for over a year, I feel I have a fairly extensive understanding of Wilsons. Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine much about a speaker on a 2 hour listen so while I will be very interested and appreciative of your comments about actually hearing one, they won't make too much difference in my decision but again any help or thoughts much appreciated. The Alexx is by far the best speaker I have ever had in my system. It fits perfectly in my room, like it was made for it. The Alexx is by far the biggest impediment to my purchase of an XVX. It is that good.

Last edited by Charles; 10-25-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I should mention that my purchase of an XVX is somewhat closer, since I have tentatively determined it will fit and operate properly in my room. Basically I will be able to locate the XVX in the exact location of my Alexx which was the exact location of my Maxx3. If this were not possible I would probably not buy the speaker. There is still a tremendous amount of work left to do which I won't go into but the initial evaluation is positive. Previously, I had thought for a long time, the speaker just too large for my room, which was very disappointing since I have always wanted a super speaker and now have the money to buy one. Since I have owned a Maxx3 and now have had an Alexx for over a year, I feel I have a fairly extensive understanding of Wilsons. Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine much about a speaker on a 2 hour listen so I while will be very interested and appreciative of your comments about actually hearing one, they won't make too much difference in my decision but again any help or thoughts much appreciated. The Alexx is by far the best speaker I have ever had in my system. It fits perfectly in my room, like it was made for it. The Alexx is by far the biggest impediment to my purchase of an XVX. It is that good.
I'll be hearing the XVX on 11/13. You'll get several opinions here, I am sure. I've heard the Alexx many, many times and I absolutely love it. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you what I think in terms that can help you.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:26 PM

It looks like I will be hearing the XVX paired with Relentless amps in less than two weeks.

Last edited by Still-One; 10-25-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:12 AM

I am going to really appreciate everyone's comments on the XVX. Currently my Alexx is 11" from the ceiling at highest point. I truly have excellent sound. An A-frame ceiling is strange. One would think it would produce awful sound when actually it is the opposite. I believe it is because of the odd nature of the sound reflections it produces in the room. Also my ceiling is heavily blown popcorn acoustic that I specified when the room was built. I have made careful calculations, many measurements, and determined that the high point of the XVX will be 1.375" below my ceiling. Keep in mind that the ceiling height varies under the speaker so the rear firing tweeter will be firing into a ceiling of varying height. The tweeters will be aimed directly at my ears (not my face). With Wilsons I have come to believe ceiling reflections are not very important, based on my experience with the Alexx and Maxx3. I think about the same amount of sound is going to hit my ceiling whether it is 1.375" away or 11" away and it is going to diffuse and disperse about the same including rear firing tweeter. It is the many angles an A-frame creates in a room that provides good dispersion and having the modules precisely aimed at your ears at the sitting position that are critical with Wilsons, IMO.

Another important thing. My Thor sets on a special thin rubber mat provided by my dealer. I have been extremely happy with my Thor. This mat will be under my XVX. There is nothing special about the Wilson spiking system. It is just a very well manufactured spike as of course it should be, but tha's all it is. Some manufactures that make really expensive speakers spend many thousands on decoupling the speaker from the floor. I believe that Wilson spends thousands of dollars decoupling the midrange and tweeter modules so no special additional spiking system is needed at the floor. That's my opinion.

As I said, I would not have my Thor spiked. I believe the important thing with my system is that my Alexx woofers are essentially in the same plane with the Thor woofers so that the system is in phase. My phase is set on 0 degrees. The Thor never misses a note no matter how quick or effervescent. I note that the character/pitch of the bass varies greatly from recording to recording. It is chameleon like and takes on the character of the recording. This is exactly what I want from bass. People talk about one note bass but what is equally important is one pitch bass. If your bass sounds similar recording to recording, you may have a problem.

So I see no problem with setting the XVX on this mat. The speaker weighs in at 685 lbs and is very narrow, quite deep. It is not going to move. I don't think the bass will be affected one iota based on my experience with my Thor. It could not be improved very much, IMO.

Also, I sit at a 36" ear height. My spike is 2.75" so add that to the tables for an ear height of 38.75" if I use the mat.

As I said this will be my third Wilson. If I had not had extensive hands on experience with their expensive speakers, I would not remotely consider an XVX. But as it is I feel reasonably comfortable. An XLF would choke my room width wise. An XVX looked at from my sitting position would look like a tall Alexx on steroids. The XVX is 6.22" more in depth but this would not be seen. The massive nature of the speaker completely hidden. The width of the XVX is .75" wider than the Alexx. It is remarkable how similar their footprints are. So the mat will be sent to Wilson to be cut for the XVX by the engineer and the spike areas denoted so that it will be set in exactly the same location beginning from the rear spikes of both if the XVX were spiked which of course it will not be. This will cause the XVX to look like a tall Alexx from my sitting position. That's my current thoughts of the subject. This is extremely complex. There are many issues. It will take months of thinking. I have a large bond coming due March 1 and taxes to pay. I don't expect a tax shock but I don't know for sure. So before I did this the bond must pay plus interest, notes must be paid off, a large qcd must be made (I must fulfill my obligations/promises), taxes paid, and most importantly the XVX must operate properly in my room. I also want the speaker in production for a while. Anything can happen. But I have genuine hope I can posses one of these gems.

Last edited by Charles; 10-26-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Life is beautiful

Charles, is there any chance you could try this costly speaker system prior to purchase?
You are quite happy now.
If you upgrade, the Chronosonic XVX must be really better, in your room, considering the huge financial effort.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Charles, is there any chance you could try this costly speaker system prior to purchase?

You are quite happy now.

If you upgrade, the Chronosonic XVX must be really better, in your room, considering the huge financial effort.

Good question!
Old 10-27-2019, 08:05 PM

I'm surprised that Bill aka metaphacts hasn't commented, he would know without a doubt how they'd work in Charles' room. But I suppose it's possible even Bill hasn't set any up yet, they are so new!

Regardless... He's the one you need to hear from.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 PM

Thank you all. I will always remember I purchased my xvx on my cell at one of the self checkout scanners at Walmart. And I remembered to pay and leave with all my groceries! It happened so fast my head is still swimming. But I had thought things over very very carefully beforehand. I am smitten with this speaker. I simply don't feel that 9" more height will make any difference. My dealer thinks they will sound fantastic. He thinks my amps will easily drive them. I agree wholeheartedly. The color unless I change my mind will be piano black with black trim. One of my concerns was overloading my room with bass but then I remembered that I can use the front bass port. Folks, this will be my final speaker. My "Last Hurrah". I am a Mac aficionado. I will never change from Mac. Mac has made this possible because ultimately, I am and have always been a speaker aficionado. I have always believed that excellent quality cords, cables, and digital front end plus a truly great speaker gives the most bang for the buck. My cables and cords second to none as are my power conditioners. It's a "drop in". Albeit a big drop in.

Yes. It's done! I have every reason to believe I will in a few months be a proud owner of an xvx. The dealer will have to come out and professionally measure and there are many details to be ironed out and a contract must be signed, but we have agreed in principle. This is my third Wilson. My dealer and I are very acquainted and comfortable with each other. I would not even remotely consider something like this on a first purchase. I truly believe I have extensive experience with Wilsons.

Have you looked at the xvx on the Wilson website? I have never seen a new Wilson with this much new technology. I view the price as very reasonable for this reason. Every driver is new. The lifespan of the xvx should be 10 years.

Last edited by Charles; 10-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Life is beautiful

Wow Charles, you've done it!
Congrats and enjoy them to the fullest for the next 30 years!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables