AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-26-2018, 01:57 PM

My integrated Decware dual-mono Mini Torii has the OA3 voltage regulator tubes (one per channel) designed so it would reduce noise by filtering it at the cathode jump of the signal through those regulator tubes (same principle). But, it is wired for 6V6's as a Pentode, and maybe for that reason it does not compete with my Inspire KT-88 Triode amp in SQ.

One thing I strongly believe in, as a somewhat experienced observer and user, is that the simple SET amp circuit is more direct and natural and less prone to unpleasant distortions relative to more complex designs. The only real trade-off seems to be heat dissipation and power inefficiency, secondary considerations when one primarily seeks SQ. Lower power levels are negotiable through the right speaker sensitivity choice and the listening room geometry and sizing. I'm sure someone more enlightened could correct me, for example, explaining why the so-called improved dynamic response in a Pentode arrangement beats the old man's Triode amp , or how could a Pentode sound as good as a Triode, as in the proposed Universal design discussed earlier, assuming the same quality designer/considerations are applied in each case ...

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-26-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I'm sure someone more enlightened could correct me, for example, explaining why the so-called improved dynamic response in a Pentode arrangement beats the old man's Triode amp , or how could a Pentode sound as good as a Triode, as in the proposed Universal design discussed earlier, assuming the same quality designer/considerations are applied in each case ...

From DH, “radical output transformers”!

IMG_7152.jpg
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
From DH, “radical output transformers”!

Attachment 54668
Well, that would definitely help. Sound quality of some of the best Japanese amps of this kind can be traced to their meticulously designed and assembled silver wiring transformers, a big chunk of their high price. But, what would happen if the same transformers were to be applied in a very simple (purist), Triode SET design? I'm fascinated with this topic, which I know too little about The trick is, once you have a decent Pre/Amp setup, signal source fine-tuning yields the most improvements, as now every little tweak is tangibly magnified by amplification. One needs to balance out these two aspects to achieve a very nicely sounding rig within budget constraints.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-27-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Hey everybody, Dennis and I have tried different remotes but for various reasons have not had the time to find a decent one that has as good or better a volume pot than we use now, and that also works in the LP- style layout and doesn't cost a fortune. The last one we tried fit but had a problem with the remote control assembly and only worked in a stepped fashion (one push gives you one increment)... weird.

My remote uses RF instead of IR, is hand made and has only UP and DOWN function in a remote the size of a key fob, that you have to disassemble to replace the battery.
But the LP- style chassis works perfectly with the offset motor on a motorized Alps Blue Velvet volume pot. So mounting the parts in the chassis including power supply is easy, but the remote fob is slow and tedious to build with button covers and an overlay, but it looks good and functions well once I have finished the long fitting process.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that some of the stepped attenuators (from Poland or eastern Europe companies?) came with remotes and are less expensive then I had thought.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Well, that would definitely help. Sound quality of some of the best Japanese amps of this kind can be traced to their meticulously designed and assembled silver wiring transformers, a big chunk of their high price. But, what would happen if the same transformers were to be applied in a very simple (purist), Triode SET design? I'm fascinated with this topic, which I know too little about The trick is, once you have a decent Pre/Amp setup, signal source fine-tuning yields the most improvements, as now every little tweak is tangibly magnified by amplification. One needs to balance out these two aspects to achieve a very nicely sounding rig within budget constraints.
Methinks that was tongue in cheek on Dennis' part. Tubes are what he was referring to.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Methinks that was tongue in cheek on Dennis' part. Tubes are what he was referring to.
Actually, the transformers are a new design... The improvements never stop...
Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that some of the stepped attenuators (from Poland or eastern Europe companies?) came with remotes and are less expensive then I had thought.
Hey YB-2, If you have a name for the attenuator manufacturers you mentioned that would be great, I would love to find a nice remote set-up for Inspire preamps. Thanks!!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Actually, the transformers are a new design... The improvements never stop...
As long as those improvements don't push the new offerings outside the current market niche, I'm all for it!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Hey YB-2, If you have a name for the attenuator manufacturers you mentioned that would be great, I would love to find a nice remote set-up for Inspire preamps. Thanks!!
Elna & Khozmo are two that come to mind. Bentaudio offers add-on motorized controls for the attenuators used in Goldpoint passive preamps.

Here is a motorized potentiometer that competes with Alps: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/pot...ntiometer.html
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Elna & Khozmo are two that come to mind. Bentaudio offers add-on motorized controls for the attenuators used in Goldpoint passive preamps.

Here is a motorized potentiometer that competes with Alps: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/pot...ntiometer.html
Thanks for the info YB-2, That TKD motorized pot looks sweeeeet!!, I'll use the TKD's sizing specs and do some measuring in a chassis to see whats what, the motor housing on the TKD is not offset like the Alps is, so it will be a little closer to the left hand tube socket, but it should still fit. I will keep you posted. That remote kit looks nice too, and runs off 6.3v, so no seperate power supply needed! I had looked at a BentAudio/Danish Audio ConnecT combo with a Danish Audio ConnecT selector switch awhile back, but I think I had to buy in quantity to get a good price, so I never pulled the trigger.
thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated...Tony