AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-11-2022, 02:45 PM

Could Straightwire or someone in close contact with Dennis ask him if a 5z4g can be used in place of the 5Y3G in the CJ5 preamp? It is considered a replacement for a 5y3 but want to check with the main man first. Thanks guys. Tried messaging him a week or so ago but he must be busy. Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly84 View Post
Could Straightwire or someone in close contact with Dennis ask him if a 5z4g can be used in place of the 5Y3G in the CJ5 preamp? It is considered a replacement for a 5y3 but want to check with the main man first. Thanks guys. Tried messaging him a week or so ago but he must be busy. Thanks guys!
I don't think that's a good idea in a preamp. Why are you considering it?
Old 02-12-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
FB, you and I have the same Triode strapped SEP. I also bought an LP27a soon after. It's a great combo.

About 18 months or so ago Dennis built a very, very nice Parallel 45 amp with monster OPTs. It is my favorite amp hands down.
I remember your 45 PSE. I imagine that it does sound sublime.

I bought a pair of the Sophia Blue KT88's and they have some magic in this amp that other tubes don't. They sound like a DHT. I have about 75 hours on them so far and they may still be opening up. I'm using the LP2030 with it.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=Analog Addict;1055160]Dennis grabbed a pair for me which I haven't picked up yet. I'm currently running the Nesstone 6550s in a pair of MC-60's I just finished restoring for a friend, and they sound pretty nice.

How do they compare to the old production Tung Sols?
Old 02-12-2022, 12:52 PM

I got through to Dennis. The 5z4 will work fine in CJ5. Florida boy, I found two forum threads where a few people really liked the 5z4 in the rectifier slot versus the 5y3 in other preamps that use a 5y3. Less voltage sag etc. If I hear any noticeable difference I will report back. Have experimented with some Raytheon 6j5’s and have a pair of NOS Kenrad 6c5’s from 1944 that I will be trying out after burning in my new to me Pontus II.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=FloridaBoy;1055220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Dennis grabbed a pair for me which I haven't picked up yet. I'm currently running the Nesstone 6550s in a pair of MC-60's I just finished restoring for a friend, and they sound pretty nice.

How do they compare to the old production Tung Sols?
That's supposedly the idea. I have some Tung Sol grey plate/no hole 6550s that I can use for comparison. Have a tentative play date scheduled for next Weds....
Old 02-13-2022, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=Analog Addict;1055225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

That's supposedly the idea. I have some Tung Sol grey plate/no hole 6550s that I can use for comparison. Have a tentative play date scheduled for next Weds....
I had original TS6550's and should have kept them...just because. I have heard that many prefer the GL KT88 to the original GEC but I've never heard them. I do have a pair of Shuguang KT88's that are supposed to be a copy of the GEC and they sound very good. Your comparo will be interesting.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:46 AM

Default 6aq5?

I searched the forum about using 6aq5 tubes and Dennis said it probably isn't a good idea. The thing is, that was 5 years ago and I can't tell which amp he was talking about. I have a KT88 Firebottle and I'm thinking that with a 5y3 I should be able to use them. What's the group's or Dennis's current thoughts about the 6aq5 in the kt88 firebaottle with a 5y3 or even a 5w4 rectifier?
Old 02-18-2022, 12:16 AM

I've tried many different tubes in my Inspire amps, but am not inclined to try 6AQ5. Very low output power and designed to run in low current amps, like car radios and tabletop radios. They also don't have a great reputation for their audio quality, being designed for the low-end market. Although some people do like them. IMO the 6V6 is a better tube.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I've tried many different tubes in my Inspire amps, but am not inclined to try 6AQ5. Very low output power and designed to run in low current amps, like car radios and tabletop radios. They also don't have a great reputation for their audio quality, being designed for the low-end market. Although some people do like them. IMO the 6V6 is a better tube.
Like you, I have heard mixed things. Some people like them more than 6v6 some don't. There are a large number of different types available at very low cost. The little power lost compared to the 6v6 doesn't bother me much. I would like to make sure I wouldn't be hurting the amp though. Seems to me that if I can run 6f6 or 6k6 I should be able to run 6aq5 too.