AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Jim. There is also a thread on Roon Rock from a few months ago which discuss some of the NUC configuration people are using. I run an i7/16GBRam and EVO SSD. I have all the parts I ordered if you are interested in building....super simple. You just put ROCK on a USB and it auto installs....I do believe there are a few bios settings to check which is reason for keyboard and monitor....after that your app can manage updates and directing Roon to you music files
If you could PM me the list of what you ordered that would be great. They have some info listed on the Roon site and I will compare the two.

It looks as if I will have to order a network switch too. I only have one ethernet line running from my router upstairs to my two channel room connecting to my Rossini. I guess I could remove that line from the Rossini and connect both the Rossini and NUC to the switch.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM

If you buy a network switch for Roon, do not buy a managed switch (especially not Cisco).

Typically cheap unmanaged switches from Netgear, D-Link and TP-Link would work with Roon.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
If you could PM me the list of what you ordered ...

It looks as if I will have to order a network switch too. I only have one ethernet line running from my router upstairs to my two channel room connecting to my Rossini. I guess I could remove that line from the Rossini and connect both the Rossini and NUC to the switch.

PM sent. On the switch. You don't have to have the NUC and Rossini connected to same switch. They have to be on same wired network so if you just connect NUC to router it will work. You may get a bit of improvement if the two are on same switch with short cabling but that is dependent on many variables. I do have my NUC and Vivaldi on same switch in media cabinet but NAS is in network equipment room and the Rossini in the study also uses the Roon ROCK but is in different room so not on same switch....I don't notice any latency differences
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
If you buy a network switch for Roon, do not buy a managed switch (especially not Cisco).

Typically cheap unmanaged switches from Netgear, D-Link and TP-Link would work with Roon.
Thank you for the help. Up until now I have had no need for switches.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
PM sent. On the switch. You don't have to have the NUC and Rossini connected to same switch. They have to be on same wired network so if you just connect NUC to router it will work. You may get a bit of improvement if the two are on same switch with short cabling but that is dependent on many variables. I do have my NUC and Vivaldi on same switch in media cabinet but NAS is in network equipment room and the Rossini in the study also uses the Roon ROCK but is in different room so not on same switch....I don't notice any latency differences
So far I haven't seen the PM.

My limitation is that I only have one ethernet connection running from my router to my 2 -channel room. For them time being I would like to keep a Sooloos connection (ethernet) to that room in addition to a connection for the Rossini and a NUC (or Nucleus) So that means the switch would need to be on that end of the ethernet run
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Default ROON core on a NUC

Quote:
So far I haven't seen the PM.

My limitation is that I only have one ethernet connection running from my router to my 2 -channel room. For them time being I would like to keep a Sooloos connection (ethernet) to that room in addition to a connection for the Rossini and a NUC (or Nucleus) So that means the switch would need to be on that end of the ethernet run

Jim. Not advocating against a switch (I have one in my media room) just suggesting you may not need it if you don’t want it.

I don’t know how your Home is wired but typically you have a router supplied by your ISP. Some use that router to provide wireless or you may have a 3rd party wireless router ( I use a Luxul) which takes the LAN signal from ISP router and provides your wireless signal. Either way most people use the LAN connections of the router to a switcher located near router. And then run Ethernet runs from that switch throughout their house. You are able to plug the NUC into that local switch by the router or anywhere else in the house for that matter. It will see the Rossini and the Roon app will see the NUC

Alternatively you can buy a small switch and put in your two channel room. It would connect via Ethernet to the router and then you just plug you Rossini and NUC into it.

Having the NUC close to Rossini is likely the best SQ solution but the difference may be small

Last edited by enatai252; 10-12-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
If you could PM me the list of what you ordered that would be great.
You need NUC7i7BNH, no less than 8GB RAM, and a SSD no less than 250GB.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
You need NUC7i7BNH, no less than 8GB RAM, and a SSD no less than 250GB.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 AM

One more thing: if you need it to be fanless, you can look at this:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?t...el=A-NUC37-A1B

but it's limited to NUC7i5BNH - not i7.

Alternatively, you can wait for the $2000 fanless Nucleus+ i7, or a $1499 SonicTransporter i7:
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/p...nt=35324041615

Last edited by wklie; 10-13-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Lots of options out there (I think Andrew at Small Green is great) but it is hard to imagine why one would not do the Nucleus if you are a Roon fan. Hardware optimized for Roon by Roon for $1495!!! They are so customer driven and smart, I have to imagine this system will rock.....pun intended.