AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM

I updated my Direct Stream dac to Redcloud. Just curious what others think of the update.
Sources - VPI Classic Signature Turntable Piano Black with 3D arm and VAS Nova cartridge, SonicTransporter i5 music server running Roon software Sonore Signature Rendu SE, PS Audio DirestStream Dac (Huron firmware), Oppo 105D disc spinner, Apple TV.
Pre and Power - McIntosh C2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC275 amps(x2), Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro movies only, Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier for center and surrounds.
Cables and Accessories WireWorld Eclipse 7 Speaker Cables. WireWorld Eclipse 7 Balanced Interconnects. GIK Acoustics Soffit traps, Q7D Diffusors, 244 as cloud traps. Shunyata Power cords.
Speakers - Martin Logan Summit X, Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 sub, Martin Logan Stage X Center Channel, Martin Logan FX2 Surrounds.
Screen Panasonic 60" Plasma.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Crankin' Tunes

Not much time with it, but I like it at first listen. Seems much more musical, and MQA via tidal app works great (and sounds great).

Amplification > Accuphase A200 (2) / C3800 > Esoteric E03
Sources > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > DirectStream Memory Player > Silenzio by -E- (via Roon/NAS) > Magnum-Dynalab > MD-108T SE / MD-205 > ClearAudio / Innovation / Universal > Lyra / Kleos
Speakers/Cables > TAD CR-1 MKII > Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement Copper (1), Gold (1) // REL S/3 SHO, with Longbow (2)
Power > PS Audio P10 (2) / 3 dedicated lines with PowerPorts
Foundation > Rix Rax > Hoodoo / Amp Stands > Stillpoints ultra SS (8)
IC/PC > Power // Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement HC, Grand Illusion Statement > ICs // Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR > Digital // Verastarr Nemesis USB
Other > Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
IEMs > Westone W50, Bose QC20
Amplification > Auralic Taurus
Sources > Auralic Altair, Onkyo DP-X1
IC/SC/PC > Sennheiser Balanced / AQ Yukon XLRs / Shunyata Venom 3 (2) / Black Dragon Balanced
Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 PM
HiFi+ Magazine

I'll jump on that Sunday when I get home!

MacMini w/Roon - VPI Prime Signature w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze - Parasound PC3jr Phono Pre - PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player - PS Audio BHK300 Mono's/BHK Pre - Vandersteen Treo CT's with AQ CastleRock cables
Old 12-09-2017, 03:37 AM

Redcloud installed with no issues on my DAC. I need more time with it to understand how it sounds vs Huron.
Digital - Silenzio (NAS) and PS Audio DSD
Cables - WW Gold IC and WW Gold Starlight 7. Power: PS Audio P5 and Cardas Clear Beyond
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
I updated my Direct Stream dac to Redcloud. Just curious what others think of the update.
In my short listening last night I really liked it. Seemed to remove a veil that I had presumed was due to my other equipment. Vocals in particular seem more real and "in the room with me." Even my wife commented on how much better and "real" it sounded. Looking forward to more listening today.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Redcloud Feedback

I listened for two hours today. Imaging is better, quieter passages, and voices are clearer. Bass is a bit tighter, too. It is like getting a new piece of kit every time Ted performs his magic with a new software release. I honestly think they could charge for these upgrades, yet they provide them for free. I am a PS Audio fanboy for sure.
Bryston 28B Cubed Monoblocks with Sound Anchor stands, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryston SP3 Processor, JL Audio CR-1 Sub Crossover, PS Audio P5 with Stillpoint Ultra SS, DirectStream DAC(Huron release) and PWT, Mac Mini music server with Amarra 4.0, TAD CR-1(mains) with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Sonus Faber Cremona M (center), Diva Swans (surrounds), (2) JL Audio F113 subs, Oppo 95, Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum interconnects and Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cables, Furutech Flux 50 in-line power filters, (6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, Shunyata outlets.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default PS Audio DirectStream DAC

I am hearing better resolution in the mid-range and tighter bass at lower and higher volume - there is no doubt this a significant improvement over Huron and yes these updates are like a new DAC.

Great marketing by PS Audio, great design by Ted Smith!
Source: Aurender N10, PS Audio Direct Stream and Memory Player

Last edited by For The Love of Music; 12-10-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:31 PM

I like RedCloud a lot. Mids and bass improved in my system. I find the lower end of the mids seems to give the vocal and other instruments more presence which leads to a more holographic sound overall.

Some people have said they are getting more 'glare' but I'm not sure how that happens when I hear improved lower mids. Glare to me is in the upper frequencies. But that's me.

Sounds like a nice improvement to me.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
In my short listening last night I really liked it. Seemed to remove a veil that I had presumed was due to my other equipment. Vocals in particular seem more real and "in the room with me." Even my wife commented on how much better and "real" it sounded. Looking forward to more listening today.
Wow with the Elipsa and prima Luna - voices sound 'more real'? That says something.

I noticed that I was catching more lyrics than normal as well and vocal did seem to turn the corner a bit with more dimension.

I noticed you have the benchmark. How does it compare to your DS?