AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
George, thank you for correcting me. I'll just respond to 3107 by saying it's always the same story. First the big disclaimer, I love Mac.... But when I took out my Mac gear and replaced it with Momentums....Wow!!, no comparision....I can only imagine what a pair of Momentum mono blocks would sound like....eye opening etc. 3107, spare me please. You are only making my point. Notice it's not Accuphase, or Boulder, or CJ, or Burmester, or Bryston...but guess what, it's MOMENTUM and Dag!
Charles, it's too bad you're so sensitive......if you're truly happy with what you have, you shouldn't care one bit whether someone likes whatever better.

The primary reasons that I went with D'agostino was that 1. The Macs were underpowered driving the Isis and the transparency just wasn't there 2. I don't have a dealer that would be able to compare Dag, Soulution, Constellation, Gryphon, Lamm etc. That's not an option in Atlanta so I had to go off of reviews, user feedback and the fact that I was able to demo the Dag equipment in my home. If I had a Boulder or Gryphon dealer here there is no doubt that those may be the brands in my system instead of D'agostino, you just happen to be pointing a finger at me since I have D'agostino gear.

You really should take a few more minutes and think more before you post since (I assume) you don't personally know most of us on here. And stop being so sensitive!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 02-17-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Charles, why do you say it's naive and shows inexperience to pull out a brand of gear and put in a different brand and feel it's much better?

If that wasn't possible, then I don't know what the hell we are all doing here!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Charles, why do you say it's naive and shows inexperience to pull out a brand of gear and put in a different brand and feel it's much better?

Agreed. I have the MC2301s, and had the C-1100 pre. I tried a VAC Master pre, and the difference was jaw dropping. The emotional involvement to the music was on a whole new level. I still have, and love my Mac amps, but I was truly surprised by what Mac's, top of the line tube pre was not letting through.
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Racing Hoopties

This thread is going south.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-17-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

Because you have to tailor your system to your ears, meaning your pre and your sources and your speakers and your cables. It's that simple.

Now for the last person's comment, amazing how you came across this piece of gear. Hat's off to you. It's all about gear interaction. Did you spend several months with your audition of the Vac pre, several weeks, several days, or several hours? And I assume you have money so why haven't you changed gear? If I heard gear that was that "jaw dropping" better, I'd buy it if I could. It wouldn't leave my system, especially since it is now a used piece.

Folks talk about ultra expensive gear like they are marbles or tiddledywinks. This website never ceases to amaze me. It's great fun because I know how difficult and impractical it would be for me to somehow acquire a piece like the Vac pre or a Momentum or a 110 etc and insert it into my system. My 1.25's weigh 158 pounds a piece. My dealer charges 80/per hour per person. Just the logistics would be incredibly expensive.

Regarding my system, I have achieved a stunning sound with all Mac. It's beautiful beyond belief so I really don't like to talk about it.

I think some on the Wilson Forum including Wilson didn't believe I was serious about an XVX. Then when I bought it, some (except Wilson) thought Mac simply couldn't do it justice. But it most certainly has.

I've owned a Maxx3 and an Alexx both for over two years and with various Mac gear. I can say that I believe my current Mac and ancillary gear like my AQ really brings out the best in my XVX. I believe in sound signatures and also what you thought you heard so clearly today, may just may not be what you hear tomorrow.

To create a high end system is a lot more than dropping in an out a piece of gear. That's what I'm talking about and doing here.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 PM

Charles, I had the VAC on loan for a week. I did buy it, and have no plans of ever getting rid of it. I am very happy for you that you have assembled a system that you love. That is all that matters. Enjoy!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's great fun because I know how difficult and impractical it would be for me to somehow acquire a piece like the Vac pre or a Momentum or a 110 etc and insert it into my system. My 1.25's weigh 158 pounds a piece. My dealer charges 80/per hour per person. Just the logistics would be incredibly expensive.
??? I took my amplifier and preamp out of the back of an SUV and put it in my room, took it out of the flight case and put it where it's supposed to sit. Didn't cost one penny.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
This thread is going south.

Hi gents,
Some of you I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in person. Others, I feel like I’ve gotten to know you a little bit over the years on AA.

No one’s mind will be changed, no one’s position will be validated. You are all better than this. Time to put on some tunes and chill.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
Charles, I had the VAC on loan for a week. I did buy it, and have no plans of ever getting rid of it. I am very happy for you that you have assembled a system that you love. That is all that matters. Enjoy!
Congratulations. It's synergism and you discovered it between the VAC and the 2301.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
??? I took my amplifier and preamp out of the back of an SUV and put it in my room, took it out of the flight case and put it where it's supposed to sit. Didn't cost one penny.

- Buck
Buck, you have a much stronger back than I do.
Closed Thread