AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Default MB50 good Play-Fi app bad

I am on at the edge of my return option on an MB50. First let me say how good the MB50 sounds compared to the Bluemound Node2i which was choking my entire system which was not completely obvious until I connected the MB50. Connection over Wi-Fi has been perfect with no dropouts or any issues of any kind from the hardware.

The Ply fi app is ruining the enjoyment of the device for me from a user interface standpoint. I knew this beforehand, but, hoped for the best. To use Tidal or any service you have to go through the Play-Fifi app which is the only option. The functionality is limited with many built-in features found on streaming service apps like personized playlist that that are created based on your personal listing history is not available in Play-Fi. There are many other complaints about Play-Fi which are widely documented from other users.

Before I purchased the MB50 I was waiting for an Innuos Zen MK3 on back order and decided on the MB50 mostly out of my trust in McIntosh equipment and the sound that I enjoy, and the fact that I didn’t have to toil over researching USB cables and ethernet cables to go with the Innuos. The MB50 is designed to work wirelessly and works well.

Is it safe to assume that something along the lines of the Innuos would have a comparable quality SQ as the MB50. Of course, it may be somewhat different. The difference between the Bluesound and the MB50 was like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lexus flagship model. I’m sure the answer is yes, but, need some hand holding.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I"ve read several reviews on the MB50 and how good it sounds. But the DTS Play-Fi Has Major Design Flaws

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-...-design-flaws/
Old 05-01-2019, 07:08 PM

I never use the app. I just connect via Spotify and use that as the interface. I don’t have any other apps so I don’t know if you can use them the same as Spotify. Mine works well and sounds great. Never drops or gets caught up.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
I never use the app. I just connect via Spotify and use that as the interface. I don’t have any other apps so I don’t know if you can use them the same as Spotify. Mine works well and sounds great. Never drops or gets caught up.

To do so, are you playing Spotify through one of the inputs or wirelessly? If wirelessly, how does Spotify see the MB50 without using the app? Just curious.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Yes please tell. I much prefer Spotify to Tidal from an interface standpoint, tidal does sound a bit better though. With the bluesound i couldn’t detect noticeable improvements with mqa files. I know many do, I could not.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:39 PM

Ok, i see it now. In Spotify in available devices. I’ll give that a try for sure. I wonder if the touted improvement in playfi over Bluetooth, etc. are lost not going through the playfi app? I guess the ears will tell.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 PM

With something like the Lumin D2 or Teac NT-505 you will get equal if not better sound and a much more established and functional app. Since both have their own built in DACs you would just connect them to your preamp. They both use the Lumin app but the Teac has the advantage of digital inputs if you want to connect other devices and use it as a DAC also. Both have list prices the same at the MB-50.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
With something like the Lumin D2 or Teac NT-505 you will get equal if not better sound and a much more established and functional app. Since both have their own built in DACs you would just connect them to your preamp. They both use the Lumin app but the Teac has the advantage of digital inputs if you want to connect other devices and use it as a DAC also. Both have list prices the same at the MB-50.

The MB50 has digital inputs too as well as an analog input. I just wish it had AirPlay. If it did have AirPlay, I would have purchased one the day it came out.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM

All that's great but if it doesn't have Airplay and the app is bad doesn't really help though unless you are bound to McIntosh by appearances.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
With something like the Lumin D2 or Teac NT-505 you will get equal if not better sound and a much more established and functional app. Since both have their own built in DACs you would just connect them to your preamp.
Both have AirPlay, support Spotify Connect, and are Roon Ready too, in case people prefer an alternative to the native apps.