AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Shunyata Sigma series

Hi I would like to understand between the Shunyata Sigma series range of power cords.
The older Sigma Analog, Sigma HC and the current Sigma NR.
NR implies noise reductions. but does it mean the latest is better than the older models?
Are all Sigma gauge measures the same?
Kindly advice on characteristics of each of the above models.

Thank you

Last edited by Chericelise; 05-29-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chericelise View Post
Hi I would like to understand between the Shunyata Sigma series range of power cords.
NR implies noise reductions. but does it mean the latest is better than the older models?

Thank you
There were refinements to the conductors and multi-stage filters in the NR Series that were combined into a single model versus 3 models. The new NR models do measure better in terms of wide-band noise elimination. I would qualify the improvements as appreciable in any good system.

The quality improvements are roughly equivalent to the cost difference between the NR model at retail and the second market value of the older models. Not that the NR model is "twice as good", but more accurately it takes a significant step forward in overall performance, well worthy of the update. As an example, I would give the Alpha NR a slight edge in recommendation over the Sigma Analog if cost for each was the same or similar.

In terms of general recommendations, if you have a digital-signal output device ie: server, transport, NAS, router, clock, upsampler or video source we recommend the new Venom 12 NR coming available very soon -- at very affordable pricing, because conductor gauge plays no role in performance with digital-signal-only output devices.

For components that output an analog signal including DAC's, pre-amps, amps, tuners, phono etc. we recommend choosing the best heavy-gauge NR product that falls within your budget starting with the Venom 10 NR, then Delta, Alpha and Sigma NR at the top of that range -- because gauge plays a pivotal role in the weight, dynamics and dimensionality in sound with these components. The older Sigma products still hold value at their respective second market pricing, however we continue to make advances at lower price points that favor newer models.

Including some of our more advanced technologies in products at lower prices is our means of competing in a cable market that has seen a massive escalation in retail pricing - with precious few matching tech advances during the past 10 years.

I hope this helps.

Grant
Shunyata Research

Last edited by GrantS; 05-29-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Thank you
Hi,
I owned the previous Sigma HC and now own the Sigma NR for my Shunyata Triton.
Speaking to the sound of each in my system, the NR is more neutral and focused sounding while the HC was a fuller sounding, warmer cable.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-30-2019, 01:18 AM

Thank u to both.
I actually have the Alpha NR from wall to the 2000T and was thinking to get the Sigma HC to replace it. It seems no point in doing so?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Along these lines of NR devices, I have both an Shunyata Hydra 4 and Version 1 Triton. Would it benefit either of these devices to plug a Venom Defender into one of the receptacles?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thank u to both.
I actually have the Alpha NR from wall to the 2000T and was thinking to get the Sigma HC to replace it. It seems no point in doing so?
I suspect those 2 cables would sound very, very different, falling into the same cleaner vs warmer paradigm.
My experience demoing alpha vs sigma was one of tonal saturation, more (more balanced, imo) bass, and additional refinement.
The move you suggest would gain you saturation and density at the expense of resolution, in my opinion. I think it's a sideways move, overall, because of the trade offs. If it doesn't cost a lot and you want to satisfy your curiosity, go for it, but Shunyata has made technical improvements in their latest cables versus the previous generation, so you'd be making a change to their older technology with regard to power cables.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I suspect those 2 cables would sound very, very different, falling into the same cleaner vs warmer paradigm.
My experience demoing alpha vs sigma was one of tonal saturation, more (more balanced, imo) bass, and additional refinement.
The move you suggest would gain you saturation and density at the expense of resolution, in my opinion. I think it's a sideways move, overall, because of the trade offs. If it doesn't cost a lot and you want to satisfy your curiosity, go for it, but Shunyata has made technical improvements in their latest cables versus the previous generation, so you'd be making a change to their older technology with regard to power cables.
Very well said. I would put the budget elsewhere if the goal is an unequivocal performance improvement.

Regards,

Grant
Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Very well said. I would put the budget elsewhere if the goal is an unequivocal performance improvement.

Regards,

Grant
Thanks, Grant. Any info per my question above regarding the Venom Defender above? Would it add NR to my Hydra Triton Version 1 and/or Hydra 4 (I'm presuming it would for the Hydra 4).

Thanks, Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Along these lines of NR devices, I have both an Shunyata Hydra 4 and Version 1 Triton. Would it benefit either of these devices to plug a Venom Defender into one of the receptacles?
No, I can't recommend that as an upgrade or for getting additional noise reduction because there is similar noise reduction in those units. Adding NR power cords can help because you get noise reduction placed at the component itself, capturing the back wave of noise from the power supply.

Last week, an Electrophysiology Lab I visited did a before and after test using an NR power cord to replace a stock power cord on only one component. The results were profound, proving the importance of filtering at the component.

Regards,
Grant
Old 05-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
No, I can't recommend that as an upgrade or for getting additional noise reduction because there is similar noise reduction in those units. Adding NR power cords can help because you get noise reduction placed at the component itself, capturing the back wave of noise from the power supply.

Last week, an Electrophysiology Lab I visited did a before and after test using an NR power cord to replace a stock power cord on only one component. The results were profound, proving the importance of filtering at the component.

Regards,
Grant
Got it, thanks, Grant. That was very helpful information.

Very interesting info on the Electrophysiology lab visit.

Cheers,
Stephen