AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 PM

Wow, monster setup, superb.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
wow... I like seeing all of the gear. Did opening up that space dramatically change the staging or was the improvement in sound subtle?

Hi, the change were NOT SUTTLE! In addition to looking a lot more clean (!) removing all my equipment between the speakers actually gave more more bass. They were deeper, more define and contributed to giving me more body overall. In addition I also got a much improved soundstage and stereo image without the gear in the middle.

I had so much stuff in there that my audio racks between the speakers seem to have been acting as some bass trap in my setup. I will post updated picture soon. For now I attached one picture of the equipment racks now in the back (dont have the front pictures on my iPad yet - more to come).

I removed my TYPHON from the rack to try it with my amplifiers for now - but That's a different topic all together!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.7 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by JCR; 05-30-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: missing sentence
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Sunny boy1956

JCR
Congrats. 6 G1s...I can only drool. Must be the most musical, punchy and immersive bass possible.
SR and AQ both have high end neutrik cables for REL. Any thoughts about them ?
Cheers
Pradeep
Rockport Aviors, Conrad Johnson GAT, Wavac HE 833 V2, Nagra VPS, Lyra Atlas,Miyajima Premium BE Mono and Ortofon Silver Meister SPU, Durrand Talea2 tonearm and Ortofon 309D, TW Acustics AC with Black Night motor + PSU and Garrard 401.Musical Fidelity kw 25 dac + transport.REL G1 x2. Shunyata Triton.Mytek 192 DSD DAC. All cables Cardas Golden Reference.

Last edited by Sunnyboy1956; 06-09-2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
JCR
Congrats. 6 G1s...I can only drool. Must be the most musical, punchy and immersive bass possible.
SR and AQ both have high end neutrik cables for REL. Any thoughts about them ?
Cheers
Pradeep
No. I am still using the original stock signal cable on my subs. I did change all power cord to Shunyata Ztron Python, but kept the small cheap signal cable that came with it. I am actually very curious to try better signal cable for the subs but was debating wether to try one of the brand you mention or make my own using some DIY good quality OCC copper or silver cable.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM

REL now also offers the new 'bassline blue' cable as an upgrade for the thin stock ones.
It has authentic Neutrik Speakons, opposed to the el cheapo chinese copies (which does not even look-alike) which are offered with the Gibraltar. I changed the male connector to authentic Neutrik right away.

Still use the stock cables as well, and also planning on doing upgrade here with some substantial screened and shielded cable. This is a nice DIY issue ;-)

Have my G1's on FE Ceraball which rest in thick rubber pads, any hardfloor needs rubber pads or else the subs start droning on the hard floor.

LOVE my RELs
Old 10-25-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I know this thread was started quite some time ago but I enjoyed very much reading other's experience with the REL G1. So I thought I would share my experience with it!

Pairing with my Sonus Faber Aida, I started by buying one REL G1 and was so impressed that I got a second one. As other here found having a stereo setup of REL subwoofer add a lot of texture and sounddstage to your speaker system. In fact, it was SO GOOD with two G1 that I decided what the heck, lets build a 6 pack! So based on a promise land from my local dealer representative I got a total of 6 REL G1, allowing me to have three per channel, stack on top of each other, beside each speaker.

The result is nothing short of spectacular and funny enought, the type of music where the 6 subs makes the most difference iis classical music!!! I would never be able to reproduce the air, soundstage and concert hall feeling of classical music with the G1s. Not to mention it also makes the sound super fluid and smooth (not less detailed, just more spatial and smooth!).

I too though I would only need to put the crossover of the subs very low like 20 or 25hz but in my room I ended up finding the the 6 subs cut at 33hz gives me the best result. I leave the volume control on the subs at about 13 or 15 (my room absorbe bass quite a bit)...

Hope this is useful. Feel free to ask me any question on the G1s setup...
Hi JCR,

I Would love to take you up on the offer and ask for some advice regarding the connections.

I have put the money down on a pair of G1 to supplement my Rockport Avior speakers. I run a pair of burmester 911mk3 monos. How do I connect the wires? Do I connect red to positive spk output, yellow to the negative speaker output and leave the black unconnected? Grateful for some advice. I spoke to REL directly and they recommended I try with red and yellow connected together to positive spk output and leave the black unconnected and see if it works. If it doesn't, they recommend that I connect the black to the negative spk terminal.

Would really appreciate some help!

Thx

Sujay
Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post
Hi JCR, I Would love to take you up on the offer and ask for some advice regarding the connections. I have put the money down on a pair of G1 to supplement my Rockport Avior speakers. I run a pair of burmester 911mk3 monos. How do I connect the wires? Do I connect red to positive spk output, yellow to the negative speaker output and leave the black unconnected? Grateful for some advice. I spoke to REL directly and they recommended I try with red and yellow connected together to positive spk output and leave the black unconnected and see if it works. If it doesn't, they recommend that I connect the black to the negative spk terminal. Would really appreciate some help! Thx Sujay
Oops! Sorry Sujay i totally missed your post. With two rel g1 subs, i suggest connecting them like the rel rep suggested. Thus is how mine are connected: red and yellow wire connected to the positive connector of my amplifier and the black is not connected. You just have to be careful that with this config, maje sure you close your subs if you need to disconnect your amplifier interconnect otherwise you will ear a big buzz in the subs...

Best

Jacques
Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Oops! Sorry Sujay i totally missed your post. With two rel g1 subs, i suggest connecting them like the rel rep suggested. Thus is how mine are connected: red and yellow wire connected to the positive connector of my amplifier and the black is not connected. You just have to be careful that with this config, maje sure you close your subs if you need to disconnect your amplifier interconnect otherwise you will ear a big buzz in the subs...

Best

Jacques
Jacques, are you saying you could just leave the black (negative) wire not connected at all? First time I hear something like this...
Any benefits compared to the usual connection (red and yellow to plus and black to minus)?
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM

A question to those having more than 1 Rel in their setups.

I first acquired two, and recently added a third one with intentions to build a 2+2 (stacked) system.
So, now I have two stacked G1s on the left, and one G1 on the right.

What I noticed is that the volume level of every sub is different. And it seems not only because of the room, even tactile sensing (touching the woofers while they play) tells you the same thing.
For example, I currently ended up with having the left top G1 at gain 15, bottom left G1 at 10, and the right G1 at 12 to make them all play at the same level.

Anyone else has had similar experience? Is it normal to have this kind of inconsistency from one sub to another?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge_A View Post

Jacques, are you saying you could just leave the black (negative) wire not connected at all? First time I hear something like this...
Any benefits compared to the usual connection (red and yellow to plus and black to minus)?
Hi Serge, apologies but if I may respond to this......my set up is exactly as indicated ie red and yellow joined and connected to the positive speaker terminal of the respective mono amp. The negative is unconnected. All that you will be doing is to drawing a signal straight from the power amp. The key, IMHO, is if the system is, otherwise, well grounded, one shouldn't have any problem. While I am not a technical expert, this has worked. Also, this was suggested by REL when I called and spoke to them. Having said this, you may want to call REL and clarify with them. This issue of connectivity is probably only when the amps are fully balanced, like mine. But as I have said, its worked fine for me.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sujay