Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 AM

ok great, looking forward to it

cheers
matthias

BTW I also own a 380S pre ....
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I used to own a a bunch of Mark Levinson stuff - including a 380s, which I replaced with the NO. 32 preamp pictured below. (and which was an improvement)

Ultimately I replaced all the Levinson components with Spectral - and the improvement was dramatic in about every area I know how to describe.
Do you have a DMC-30SS? A DMC-30SS Series 2 has long been on my short list to audition as well but Spectral dealers are mere rumors anywhere within 1000 miles of me, and I haven't heard Spectral equipment at all since a Stereophile show in the Bay Area back in 1988 (!), but back then it was some of the most spectacular sounding equipment I'd ever heard.

I often wonder how Spectral stays around given their sales numbers must make Pass Labs and Mark Levinson look mass-market.

Any photos of your Spectral system?

Last edited by BillK; 09-14-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 AM

ok, great to hear part Time.

well, Ive heard the combo on wilson Sasha and it was terrific even listening to daft punk. amazing, just the bass wasnt in control, it was too muddy and I like it punchy and textured. Now I dont know if that is a function of the wilsons tough load or the lack of feedback or even both. While I absolutely adored the mids and above, the bass was almost unacceptable that way.

If I end up buying the Summit plus the VXR, the pre will have to wait for a bit longer though ...
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 AM

jprice?

Still would love to know more about your Spectral gear.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Anyone have any other comments on the KX-R vs the 380S? I've found the 380S still hard to beat - I've recently tried a couple ARC pieces that I felt didn't do as well - and I don't have a local dealer to demo the KX-R despite the fact Ayre is ten minutes away.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Anyone have any other comments on the KX-R vs the 380S? I've found the 380S still hard to beat - I've recently tried a couple ARC pieces that I felt didn't do as well - and I don't have a local dealer to demo the KX-R despite the fact Ayre is ten minutes away.
BillK,

If you are looking to save money and are happy with the 380S than I would keep it and invest funds towards more software...As I mentioned before, I have owned both and the KX-R has a lower noise floor, better decay and resolution, throws a wide and detailed soundstage and will sound more transparent than the 380S. But you are also talking about spending almost twenty thousand $$$$. Not sure what other gear you have but the 380S may not be the biggest limitation in your system...and for 20K...you may be able to make multiple smaller improvements which yield a bigger improvement overall. If you are really looking for a better preamp...than the KX-R, ML32 on used market, ARC REF5SE or REF40 or the Simaudio P-8 or 850P...are all better performers than the 380S. But to what degree in your system and whether that is worth the price is up to you. Good luck

I have owned the 380S and now own the KX-R, Ref 5SE, Ref 40 and Simaudio 850P all in different systems although the Ref 5 is being displaced by the Ref 40...and the 850P is not here yet. I spent about a month with the ML32 and was going to upgrade over the 380S about 9 years ago...but went with the ARC Ref 2 mk2 instead.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Look at it this way...in 2006 I custom ordered a new 997.1 with X51. It is a great car and I love driving it. The new 911 is likely a better car...but for me...my 5.5 year old car provides me all the driving excitement I need...so I am holding on to it
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 AM

enatai252,

I would be interested in your detailed comparison of the Ref5 & the KX-R. I am contemplating purchasing either of these. I am currently using an Ayre 5-series system and want a reference preamp (I want more inputs than the K-5 offers, and have loved what I've heard of the KX-R at my local dealer so far).

Serge,

As a current (former?) owner of the KX-R I'd be interested in your thoughts as well, if it's not too much trouble to ask.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM

I appreciate the comparison. My 380S is a bit over a decade old now, so more than anything else I've been comparing it to what else is out there.

Really, I'm still 95% happy with how it performs, losing just a bit of soundstage to when I connect my Wadia CD player directly to the amp, but not squashing the soundstage or otherwise mucking with the sound anywhere near the way the ARC LS-27 does.

Note also I still maintain no matter what the reviewers say, the 380S sounds much better than the 326S, which I didn't like the sound of at all.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
enatai252,

I would be interested in your detailed comparison of the Ref5 & the KX-R. I am contemplating purchasing either of these. I am currently using an Ayre 5-series system and want a reference preamp (I want more inputs than the K-5 offers, and have loved what I've heard of the KX-R at my local dealer so far).

Serge,

As a current (former?) owner of the KX-R I'd be interested in your thoughts as well, if it's not too much trouble to ask.
The Ref5SE is currently in another system...although both have ARC REF amps and Wilson speakers. It only has about 25 hours on it...but as I break it in I will provide some comparisons to the Ayre. I will say that both are very good...and you can't go wrong with either.