AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Default Just received a new pair of Polk speakers today.

There was an incredible offer on Polk speakers that I just couldn't refuse on a pair of LSiM705 speakers. The reviews they've gotten have been overwhelmingly positive and since I've always been pleased with the performance of Polk speakers in the past, I decided to pull the trigger on these to replace the Boston Acoustics T1000 I've had since new.

The LSiM705 is slightly smaller version of the flagship LSiM707 which also had received stellar reviews when introduced several years ago. The Bostons had always served me well but I thought it was time for an upgrade. Fortunately I was able to get the Mount Vernon Cherry finish which by all accounts is very well executed.

I realize that Polk isn't considered a high end product but I've always found Polk products to represent an incredible value at their price point. I've heard any number of speakers costing many times the price that I didn't think performed as well.

After owning 2 pairs on the RTiA series, I'm really looking forward to hearing these from the LSiM line.

Here they are ready for the ride home tonight and I enlisted the help of a buddy in getting them unpacked and set up.

I'll have my hands full tonight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05016.jpg (94.8 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by 62caddy; 01-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Eric... Big congrats!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Congrats!

I use 707, 703, and 706 in my HT system, and they fit that very well.

I am thinking to get a pair of 702 so that I can hang them on the wall. My current surround speakers are not high enough.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Congrats to you. Mac and Polk is a combination I'm quite fond of to say the least. Looking forward to your thoughts on them
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Thanks fellas. Will post impressions soon.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Blown & Injected

caddy - I still have my pair of Monitor 5s that I purchased new in '92! I also own RTA 15TLs ... Both in use daily.

That's a really unique design - can't wait to hear your impressions! Congrats.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM

I still have a pair of SRS SDA 2.3TL's from the 80's. Some time ago I updated them with new Xovers and some cabinet upgrades I got at the Polk site. Not currently using them but did for many years! Congrats on your new speaks!
Allnic H3000/CJ ET5/Mcintosh 501's
Thiel CS3.6
Thiel CS6
MIT EVO 2 IC
Straightwire Maestro II SC
Shunyata Denali SV2
Shunyata Sigma XC
Wywires Juice PC’s
Kubala Sosna PC’s
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports
Arcici Ref Suspense Stand
Rives acoustically designed room

Shore House
Basis 1400 Signature/Hadcock 228/Ortofon Jubilee
ARC PH 5/Meridian 200/Meridian 263 DAC
CJ Premier 14/Classe CA200/Thiel 3.6
Wywires Silver IC/Stereolab Diablo SC/MIT Z cord II

Last edited by keef; 01-10-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef View Post
I still have a pair of SRS SDA 2.3TL's from the 80's. Some time ago I updated them with new Xovers and some cabinet upgrades I got at the Polk site. Not currently using them but did for many years! Congrats on your new speaks!
Just a heads up.... the Polk site is currently having a group purchase for 1000 va transformers (dreadnaught). This transformer mod uses the sda cable and allows the use of monoblocks or non common ground amps on certain sda models such as your 2.3tl's. It's also a significant and worthwhile sound upgrade.
Edit; the group purchase is now over and got sent in today I just noticed.

Last edited by Macuser; 01-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Well gents, sorry to say the LSiM705 didn't do it for me and today they are being returned.

Except for very deep bass response, the Bostons sounded far better to my ears in every way, especially in the ability to cast a broad soundstage whereby the speakers tend to "disappear" into the field. With the 705s however, the sound was much more confined- and clearly emanating from those tall & narrow rectangular baffles. I also found the 705s tended to exhibit a slight "nasal" character that I didn't care for, whereas with the Bostons, the response sounded was much more even into the upper registers without the upper end drop off of the 705s.

In some ways the 705s even reminded me of some horns I've experienced except the bass was far more resounding in the Polks than horn speakers are generally noted for.

Just to be completely fair, I decided to re-open the Bostons (which I had just repacked for storage) and directly compare head-to-head directly against the 705s. Through the use of two separate amplifiers with a McIntosh MC2505 (on the Polks) and MC240 (on the Bostons), I carefully calibrated the amplifiers so that each pair of speakers were matched at exactly the same volume level- or at least as close as can be done by ear. (I had previously reported on this and other forums my experimentation between these two amplifiers that they are virtually indistinguishable from one another after a battery of comparative subjective listening tests - not only to my satisfaction but among a number of other listeners).

After everything was set up, I started over all over again, and again, my initial impressions were confirmed: In terms of overall performance, the Polks simply couldn't hold a candle to the Bostons, in tonal quality and especially the ability to throw the widest soundstage. Last week I invited a friend over (who, due to me, I think is beginning to become infected by the "audiophile bug" ).

I asked him to keep his eyes shut while I switched between the two pairs of speakers by instantly shutting off one pair while simultaneously turning on the other pair using both hands on either amplifier. All I asked is which pair he preferred. After we began with a few selections of rock and hip-hop (his choice, not mine) he genuinely could not decide which he liked better. I had the feeling he was mainly paying closest attention to the bass line since bass is the most important part of the music to him.

Next we moved on to some medieval chamber type music which doesn't have much bass content so he would better be able to focus on the midrange portion of the spectrum so critical in classical. Here, he began to show a slight preference to the T1000s.

Finally, I pulled out my "reference CD" a compilation of overtures by Franz von Suppe' which I consider to be one of the finest recordings in my music collection. Loading the disc, track 1 "The Light Calvary Overture" began to play. Here's the best recording for demonstrating the total performance of a speaker's abilities - bass, midrange, presence and broadness & depth of soundstage. Here he absolutely agreed the Bostons won hands down beyond dispute. While the Bostons sparkled with musical realism, the Polks just sat there, dull, lifeless and confined. It is such a shame as considering all the technological development that went into the 705s, I was expecting great things. Unfortunately, and to my utter amazement and disbelief, it did not happen.

Lastly, I wasn't thrilled about the 705's simulated finish which had the feel of something "a bit smoother than sandpaper" with a slightly matte shine. It looked like real wood at a distance but not nearly as rich as the genuine cherry veneer finish as on the RTiA line.

So there it is my friends. This is my honest appraisal, for whatever it may be worth. It is not to disparage the LSiM707/705 or anybody's auditory sensibilities for choosing/enjoying them but unfortunately they just didn't do it for me. Ironically, in addition to the Bostons, I also own pairs of the RTiA7 & RTiA9 both of which I consider excellent performers. Incidentally, my friend also asked to hear the RTiA7 alone (without the Snell J7 and RTiA9) in my main system (with 3 pairs of speakers).

He liked the RTi A7s even more than either the Boston T1000s or the 705s.

So impressed with them, he just ordered a pair the same day - in cherry veneer.

Last edited by 62caddy; 01-14-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Good post!

I’m still laughing at “a bit smoother than sandpaper”.