AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post

Thanks.

Michael at Ayre said the delay with the black exterior parts was holding up some orders from going out the door. Don't know if there were/are other production issues related to silver gear (presuming db ordered his in silver).
Yes, I ordered silver to match the C-5xeMP and VX-5 Twenty.

db
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Dealer told me Ayre has fired the company that machines the outer panels.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Yes, I ordered silver to match the C-5xeMP and VX-5 Twenty.

db
Cool

Old 08-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Did the install this morning:

Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 PM

All this time, I was not able to find a single photo on the web of a black KX-5 Twenty. I've seen pics of a black AX-5. So here are rare pics (taken by phone) of a black one.

Last edited by will; 08-09-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:

All this time, I was not able to find a single photo on the web of a black KX-5 Twenty. I've seen pics of a black AX-5. So here are rare pics (taken by phone) of a black one.
Wow very nice. The wait was long but hopefully you feel worthwhile now that you finally have it. Makes me kind of wish I got mine in Black.

So do you hear any difference between the KX-5 Twenty and the K5emp right out of the box? I know at first I heard glimpses of improvement and then was not sure over time it improved dramatically to my ears and is no question is in a different league.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Thanks, Greg.

Forget that I've only listened to three tracks so far -- the adrenaline is still flowing just by the mere reality that it is actually sitting in my cabinet now, haha. It has been a long wait.

Right out of the box, I noticed immediately the better transparency, which is the linchpin for all the other improvements I'm hearing in treble clarity, midrange, separation and sense of space, and microdynamics.

By the third track, I noticed it was getting less shrill also, likely because it reached operational temperature (I had turned the unit on for a couple of hours before I started listening).

Observations:
Have to get used to the audible "bong" when switching inputs. It sounds like I'm watching Law & Order.

The right triangle of the Ayre logo is a more neutral tone than the more tan and brighter triangles on my other Ayre pieces.
Have to get used to the smaller size of the KX-5 vs the K-5. e

Ayre didn't include the $450 metal remote with my preamp but rather some other remote, which I haven't unpacked from its bubble wrap, so I don't know which particular remote it is. The KX-5 manual references the metal remote. I'm using the metal remote I already have. But if I didn't have one, it would've been a point of contention.

Last edited by will; 08-09-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Looks good in black. I learned this morning that my silver KX-5 Twenty is in the mail, i.e., the FedEx mail. I'll eagerly follow the tracking number.

db
Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Looks good in black. I learned this morning that my silver KX-5 Twenty is in the mail, i.e., the FedEx mail. I'll eagerly follow the tracking number.

db
Thanks. Glad you're getting yours--and without an agonizing wait. Post some pics.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Greg.

Forget that I've only listened to three tracks so far -- the adrenaline is still flowing just by the mere reality that it is actually sitting in my cabinet now, haha. It has been a long wait.

Right out of the box, I noticed immediately the better transparency, which is the linchpin for all the other improvements I'm hearing in treble clarity, midrange, separation and sense of space, and microdynamics.

By the third track, I noticed it was getting less shrill also, likely because it reached operational temperature (I had turned the unit on for a couple of hours before I started listening).

Observations:
Have to get used to the audible "bong" when switching inputs. It sounds like I'm watching Law & Order.

The right triangle of the Ayre logo is a more neutral tone than the more tan and brighter triangles on my other Ayre pieces.
Have to get used to the smaller size of the KX-5 vs the K-5. e

Ayre didn't include the $450 metal remote with my preamp but rather some other remote, which I haven't unpacked from its bubble wrap, so I don't know which particular remote it is. The KX-5 manual references the metal remote. I'm using the metal remote I already have. But if I didn't have one, it would've been a point of contention.
Will in regards to the $450.00 metal remote I made a comment in regards to to the differences between the two in this thread below:
https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=39918&page=3

I made the remote a point of contention initially as when I had my dealers unit at home for trial, it came with the larger metal remote. When I received my new unit it came with the new QX-5 remote which I am sure is the same one you received.

Since the dealer was not notified at that time of the change he had Ayre send me the metal one and let me decide which one I wanted. After trying them both for an extended period of time, I by far preferred the one they now are sending. So I would not worry about the bigger metal remote which is not ergonomically friendly and clumsy to handle. I was told the full large metal remote you referenced is no longer being produced anyway.

I will be curious to hear more about your thoughts sonically versus the K5xemp once it breaks in more.

Happy listening.