AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Default Cryo'd power tubes?

Does anyone have any experience with cryogenically treated KT-120's or any other power tube for that matter?
If so, please share what if any difference you have heard the between cryo'd and standard units.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM

I purchased 6BM8 Cryo'd tubes from Tubeman.com for my ASL Wave 8 and am floored how good these tubes made that amp sound on my Cornwall III's. Excerpted from their website:

VACUUM TUBE CATALOG: SUPER PRMIUM CRYOGENICALLY TREATED TUBES. THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE TWEAK FOR YOUR SYSTEM!
Cryogenic treatment is a process where a product (VACUUM TUBES)is tempered in a deep freeze process(-300F) for 48 hrs. This process produces a permanent change in the metals inside this product making it stronger and longer lasting. Tools, instruments, knives, razor blades, machinery parts have been Cryo Treated for many years.Why do this to tubes?Tubes are mostly metal inside so Cryo treating tubes has the following benefits: permanent change in the metals at the molecular level(more uniform grain structure of metals), longer lasting, tightens internal parts of the tube allowing for more efficient operation. and superior conductivity!

SONIC IMPROVEMENTS FROM "CRYO TREATED" TUBES:

LOWER NOISE FLOOR,lower distortion, extended frequency response at the extremes, greately increased resolution and transparency. You will hear information from the recording you barely, or never heard before, especially at the back of the stage! Bass response is greatly improved, treble is sweeter but more extended. Cryo treated tubes just sound much better and more effortless than a non-treated tube!!!

I agree with the above. Night and day difference. I am a believer. I don't have experience with any other cryo'd tubes.

Last edited by Masterlu; 03-07-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Sorry, no links to non-sponsors
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 AM

What about owners wishing to treat existing tubes? Who could you ask to do the job? How about taking your tubes down to the local sperm bank for the big chill...Wouldn't the glass shatter?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
What about owners wishing to treat existing tubes? Who could you ask to do the job? How about taking your tubes down to the local sperm bank for the big chill...Wouldn't the glass shatter?
You would probably need to leave a deposit