AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post
Thanks Rich,I would expect that the Ref 5se outperforms the XP 10. Can you describe what kind of sonic differences you've heard ?
Since we both have the same speakers, I'm very interested in your opinion !

Mark
Mark,

It's been a year since I compared the Ref5se to the XP-10 so I am just going by my memory. The REF 5SE has a wider and deeper soundstage. There was more high frequency extension on the ref5se and the bass was about the same. The ref5se had much better vocal, very holographic and warm. This comparison was made with the REF 5Se straight out of the box.

I was expecting the ref5se to be a bit noisier since it had tubes but that was not the case.

Prior to getting the Ref5se, I had considered an Ayer KXR and the Pass Labs XP-30 preamps. I had the Ayer KXR in my house for a couple of weeks and did a comparison to the Ref 5se. A couple of audiophile friends and I preferred the REF5SE over the KXR.

The Salon2 has fantastic mids and highs and the REF 5SE really shows that strength.

My old XP-10 is now in my father's system. He is waiting for me to upgrade so he can take my REF 5se.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about the REF 5Se.

Rich
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 AM

Rich, thak you so much for such a detailed and honest comparison , you've definitely got my interest up,I hope that I will get a chance to demo the REF 5 se in my system some time in the future,

Thanks ,
Mark
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM

How is the bass? Powerful?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 PM

This is a progress report on my switch from the Ref 5 to Ref 5se, the next installment. (See my earlier post.) The SE now has 102 hours on the clock and is exhibiting some inconsistency to the point that I am missing the Ref 5 which produced the best sound ever in my system. After thinking at first that the SE was already superior new to the 5, the SE is showing all the signs of needing much more break-in, lacking something at the extremes of high and low, and that tactile sensation of feeling the music, of filling the room. This is one of the aspects of acquiring new components that I don't like, as time is spent evaluating certain test CDs instead of letting it rip and playing music that you need to hear. While I am confident that in a month or so the Ref 5se will fulfill its promise, this experience indicates to me that the 5 is still a great preamp and to be better the new one will have to excel. Any feedback from those who have been through this would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Cascais...there are many Ref 5SE owners who have commented on AA that you will experience some inconsistency in sound in the 100-300 hours range. I believe breaking in those teflon caps results in this yo-yo in SQ during break-in. You can certainly run a CD on repeat through the preamp 24/7 to accelerate the break-in and get you past that key 300 hour milestone. Don't give up hope, from everything I have read, the Ref 5SE will be worthy of your upgrade from the Ref 5. Good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Hear to listen...

I thought that my REF Anniversary was absolutely dreadful, at times, during the break in, so don't judge, yet...just let it play out. My recollection is that by the time I hit 400 hours, or so, it was starting to round into shape.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Cascais...there are many Ref 5SE owners who have commented on AA that you will experience some inconsistency in sound in the 100-300 hours range. I believe breaking in those teflon caps results in this yo-yo in SQ during break-in. You can certainly run a CD on repeat through the preamp 24/7 to accelerate the break-in and get you past that key 300 hour milestone. Don't give up hope, from everything I have read, the Ref 5SE will be worthy of your upgrade from the Ref 5. Good luck
Yes, it is a bit of a journey but once you get to around 400 hrs it becomes incredibly consistent and fabulous. Mine is at 510 or so hrs. Happy listening!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Talking

I have an LS-27 still breaking in and I've found that it has been inconsistant in sound quality as well during the burn in period, especially when it was below 275 hours or so. I'm now at 320...getting there
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Yeap the yoyo feeling is something the owners have all commented.

I was over the moon with how it sounded out of the box, then it got really awful: the bass was missing etc, then it got better, then worse.

I found that using it in a HT in bypass mode helped speed things along since I was watching a fair bit of TV and movies.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Default Breaking in the Ref 5se

Thanks for the input. These posts describe the same results that I have been having with the Ref 5se which doesn't surprise me. The first thing you see when unpacking an ARC product is a notice to be patient during the break-in period. So I intend to follow that advice, and yours. Avoiding the break-in blues in a good reason to buy used, but I shall just have to struggle with my new unit, such is life.