AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-04-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Confuse: REF75 or REF150

I'm a bit confuse which way to go as I can't audition both amps.

I have a variety of speakers: Nolas KO, Harbeths M40.1, Harbeth P3esr (83 db), Amphions Argon 3 (85 db) and Devore Nines (90db). i feel these ones i have now can be easily driven with the REF75. in a room size about 6meters x 5 meters.

But also read fantastic reviews on the REF150 as being able to compete with amps that cost 2x or 3x more like the Dan D Agostino, FM Acoustics and other super hi end amps.

I can save up for the REF150 and be done with or just buy the REF75.

Anyone care to chime. I do understand that the REF75 is tad better sounding than REF150.. Would be nice if someone can chime in who has compared both amps on same speakers (preferrably hard to drive) and give the pros and cons.

I dont want to buy a ref75 and later regret that i should have gotten a ref150 if say in the future i upgrade to speakers not on my current list.

I also dont want to get an overkill amp and not fully utilizing its power when the ref75 does the job....

My preamp will be a ReF 5SE.

Future speakers might include Raidho, Wilson Sashas, Sonus Faber Amati Futura.

I definitely dont want to go with the REF250.... No space for monoblocks.

thanks in advance!!!
SLM

Last edited by soundslikemusic; 12-04-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Get the 75. You will not regret it. It's one of the best amps ARC has ever made, and destined to be a classic.

The only way I'd change my recommendation is if you have very difficult to drive speakers and need to play extremely loud. The Ref 150 should be better at that. Even then, I'm sure the ref75 can do it.

Another consideration is the fan. If you have a very tight space and the room is hot, it might be nice to have the fan which the Ref 150 has. On the other hand, fans are noisy. I have my ref75 in a tight spot with no problems, but it does make me a little nervous when the room is hot in the summer.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Oh and Btw, the ref75 drives Sasha's with ease. Not a hint of needing more wattage.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Oh and Btw, the ref75 drives Sasha's with ease. Not a hint of needing more wattage.

Thanks 2fastdriving-- how big is your room w/ the Sashas. I think the Sasha is harder to drive than my speakers.
i just saw tonight a review of the REF75 driving the Harbeth Monitor 40.1s, i just dont know how much more difficult the Sasha is compared to the M40.1
High Fidelity

Thanks for the inputs... anyone else chime in ?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:04 AM

The Sasha 2 is rated at 92db efficiency, which means it should be easy to drive. However, it is a 4 ohm load that dips to 2 ohms at 90hz. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. I'd say it's easy to drive considering my amp meters show only about 5 Watt peaks when the music is quite loud.

My room is about 11x20. I sit 8 or 9 feet from the speakers.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
My room is about 11x20. I sit 8 or 9 feet from the speakers.
Do you fire down or across the long wall ? That must be a bit tight with Sashas ?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all

More Power!

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
2fast, could you give a few specific recording examples (songs, albums) that make your case? thx
Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM

I wasn't aware I was on trial seriously, anything, even rage against the machine, will rock your socks off LOUDLY, without any strain. Needle will hardly be bouncing.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Hi SLM, I had a Ref 150, and now a Ref 75, both with a Ref5se, and also have Devore Nines.
As you know, the Nines are easy to drive, although the toughest of the Devores. My room is fairly small, and both amps drive the Nines very well. The main differences to me were of scale and directness. The 75 is just the tiniest bit more direct, and a little more up front. The 150 has more grandeur, and a bit larger stage. That being said, both amps are great in both these areas, just falling slightly behind each other in real nit picking.
As a practical matter, the 75 puts out much less heat, very noticable in the summer. The fan noise on the 150 is not an issue at the listening position.
Honestly, I sold the 150 when I bought the 75, but I could really live VERY happily with either, and so most likely could you. They are both excellent, and sound similar.
Both benefit from the Sain Line power cords also.