AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Semi-audiophile

Okay, the beast is here! The service guys left about 45 minutes ago. They arrived at 1:57pm, just within the 11am – 2pm window I was promised. Here is a photo of the beast, and the aftermath. You KNOW what I'll be up to the rest of today and this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0485.jpg (89.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (93.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (91.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (93.7 KB, 54 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Yep, and 23 years is a long life for one of those units.
Yep. I am sitting in my CT place, the outside temp is 90F and my ancient central air system is performing heroically. It's a comfortable 72F in here, even with the A/V system running.

We bought this weekend place in 1991 and, at the time, the working A/C system was declared unrepairable and no parts were available. We decided to wing it and deal with it when it failed. Since then, we have had it recharged once and had a motor-start capacitor replaced. It soldiers on.

I will not be too upset about replacing it when it does fail as it owes me nothing and the replacement will help when we eventually sell this place.

I do not even know how old it really is.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:35 PM

There’s no underestimating the value of a good A/C system. When they fail it usually happens at the worst possible time. Here in Arizona, A/C is indispensable.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Default An Air Conditioner Adventure

@ our Wisconsin home, no A/C, no power, everything unplugged, big light show outside, candles inside. Will have to head out to the garage and start the backup generator if this keeps up.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 07-19-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
@ our Wisconsin home, no A/C, no power, everything unplugged, big light show outside, candles inside. Will have to head out to the garage and start the backup generator if this keeps up.
Wisconsin could be in for some storms today. Be safe.

Here in Brooklyn, the heat index is already 93; at 5am it was 90.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks. We’re back online.

Glad to see your new AC is in and working. I’m sure it’s nice to have your place back in shape for some listening. May it last as long as the last one did.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Thanks. We’re back online.

Glad to see your new AC is in and working. I’m sure it’s nice to have your place back in shape for some listening. May it last as long as the last one did.
Tom
No listening yet, unfortunately. The stereo is blocked by all the stuff I had to move to clear a path to the window. I'm hoping to start on that in earnest today. I'm off work this week, barring anything unusual, so I want to make a real dent in things. I have a secondary BD player which goes directly to the TV, and did watch a new DVD featuring Yuja Wang, the classical pianist. She's quite good. The DVD features a 47-minute documentary and a 42-minute performance of Gershwin and Ravel. It would be nice to have the whole system engaged next time I watch it.

I'm also using the opportunity to get rid of some stuff. I started throwing out comic books a while back, and the shelf space I gain will be of great help with all the books, CDs, DVDs, BDs and such. I have to go through the comics to make sure I don't toss anything of real value, so it's a slog, but a necessary one.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Semi-audiophile

The new Friedrich A/C is working well, and I make frequent use of the remote to adjust temperature up and down and to switch it on and off. It's noisy, but I just turn the TV up. This unit is much more sophisticated than the one it replaced.

One problem is that, in order for the unit to affect the back end of the apartment the fan must be turned all the way up. That means it is too cold in the living room, as the air blows directly on me as I sit on the couch, and for ME to say it's too cold is saying something! If I raise the temperature then the unit shuts off more often and there's no air moving; then I get warm. Trying to find a balance.

Overall though, I'm pleased with this new Freidrich. Now, If I could just get around to some serious work on my living room. I haven't played the stereo in over a month, due to no access.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
The new Friedrich A/C is working well, and I make frequent use of the remote to adjust temperature up and down and to switch it on and off. It's noisy, but I just turn the TV up. This unit is much more sophisticated than the one it replaced.

One problem is that, in order for the unit to affect the back end of the apartment the fan must be turned all the way up. That means it is too cold in the living room, as the air blows directly on me as I sit on the couch, and for ME to say it's too cold is saying something! If I raise the temperature then the unit shuts off more often and there's no air moving; then I get warm. Trying to find a balance.

Overall though, I'm pleased with this new Freidrich. Now, If I could just get around to some serious work on my living room. I haven't played the stereo in over a month, due to no access.

Yes, I was going to ask you whether these devices are noisy.

So far, we haven't felt the need for A/C in our house, except for my practice, where I've had it since '16.
It's on a couple of weeks per year there, during the hottest days.

But with the heat waves of the last 2, 3 summers - we went up to 106F! - we might need A/C in the whole house in the future.
The bedrooms were hot during the 2 heat waves we've had in June and July! (About 90-93F).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Yes, I was going to ask you whether these devices are noisy.

So far, we haven't felt the need for A/C in our house, except for my practice, where I've had it since '16.
It's on a couple of weeks per year there, during the hottest days.

But with the heat waves of the last 2, 3 summers - we went up to 106F! - we might need A/C in the whole house in the future.
The bedrooms were hot during the 2 heat waves we've had in June and July! (About 90-93F).
Growing up my dad would never let us turn on the a/c unless the inside temperature was over 90F. Most kids would try to trick their parents into letting them stay home by warming up a thermometer so it looked like they had a fever. I, on the other hand, was trying different things to try and warm up a thermometer on the wall so that it would hit 90 and we could turn on a/c!