AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Visit scheduled for tomorrow from the district rep - he is aware of my issue and has heard it himself. Not much different from his last visit 6 months ago, except nothing has been done to improve the software/gain for RCA Stereo connection.
Eager to read about the results!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Gentlemen was here approx 40 only because my schedule was tight. He completely agrees with my assessment. He knows the gain for RCA Stereo connection needs to be increased by 10dB. His thoughts and report have been sent to Boston, USA HQ. May have been sent across the pond with no effort on their end due to very low count of owners complaining. I have already let mr dealer know I may want to exchange for a JL Audio. The rep will work with dealer to get purchase towards the JL. For this TOTL B&W sub to require maxed gain settings and nearly maxed equalization to be enabled to get acceptable output is beyond me how this even left the drawing board to be manufactured. Not all users have the ability for balanced outputs from an integrated amp or use a processor with sub out plus xover and gain settings for 2 channel music enjoyment. Jesus, this should mare seamlessly with their own speakers via all input connections. Kudos to the B&W rep for making all effort to please the customer. What happens up the chain is beyond his control.

I urge any other DB series users using the RCA Stereo input (not LFE) to express your opinion to B&W if you are the least bit dissatisfied.

Last edited by miner; 06-14-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 AM

So sad to hear this miner. For me I just stick to using LFE.
The query I sent before to B&W came back with a query on my Yamaha preamp. A bit poor that going stereo drop the level right down.
But for me on LFE it sounds fine
Old 06-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Madfonzy,
My pre (C2300) does not have a sub out and I do not want to run full freq through the sub just does not mate well with my 805D3 that way. Now, my Sf Gravis II sub blends excellently with my Sf Electa Amator III.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Really disappointed that the DB1D is not delivering upon the promise... I was looking for a quality sub that would blend well with my 802D3 speakers. I wonder if the DB2D has the same issues that you have had with the DB1D?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 PM

I initially had a DB2D prior to the DB1D - same results. I thought by upgrading to the DB1D some of the small sibling’s lack of character would disappear.

Crickets from B&W about my misfortunes. I have the DB1D dialed in now but not without practically maxing out the settings which were set by the B&W rep that stopped by for a session.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Miner,

Did you originally trade the BD2D back into the dealer or sell it?

I am struggling between REL S/5 SHO (supposedly need a pair of them as I have mono block amps, the DB1D, the DB2D, or a JL fathom.

I would prefer to only purchase one sub, but many suggest two.. I will be limited with room and the wife acceptance factor.

Really bummed you are getting blown off.

I was hoping the B&W sub would be the ticket.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I initially had a DB2D prior to the DB1D - same results. I thought by upgrading to the DB1D some of the small sibling’s lack of character would disappear.

Crickets from B&W about my misfortunes. I have the DB1D dialed in now but not without practically maxing out the settings which were set by the B&W rep that stopped by for a session.
Miner,

I'm confused again--you've had TWO bad subs from D&B? Earlier, I think I asked how you knew it was the sub instead of the amp or preamp, and I think you said you had switched out the amp and the problem remained. But now it appears you've also switched out the sub with no change. I may be back to believing it's a problem other than the sub.

Best,

Peter
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 PM

No issue with my McIntosh amps, I assure you Peter. The issue is the way B&W has the stereo connection programmed in the software - not enough gain. The B&W rep agrees with me on this assessment. B&W suggested using the balanced connection but my MA8900 does not have a balance out available. Output 1 (Main) and Output 2 on the integrated are both unbalanced RCA connection. The B&W sub I had before the DB series (ASW800) worked marvelously using RCA.

I initially traded my DB2D back to my dealer for the DB1D
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 PM

No issue with my McIntosh amps, I assure you Peter. One other user in this post has experienced the same issue when he switched from LFE to Stereo connection on his DB sub. The issue is the way B&W has the stereo connection programmed in the software - not enough gain. The B&W rep agrees with me on this assessment. B&W suggested using the balanced connection but my MA8900 does not have a balance out available. Output 1 (Main) and Output 2 on the integrated are both unbalanced RCA connection. The B&W sub I had before the DB series (ASW800) worked marvelously using RCA.

I initially traded my DB2D back to my dealer for the DB1D

Last edited by miner; 07-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.