AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 AM

Very nice B05, you appear to have spent a deal of time and effort on your well considered system Renaissance Not missing the ARC gear then ?

I totally agree with your thoughts on the danger of over damping rooms, perhaps you might consider a couple of diffuser panels as a posed to absorption behind your listening position.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Very nice B05, you appear to have spent a deal of time and effort on your well considered system Renaissance Not missing the ARC gear then ? I totally agree with your thoughts on the danger of over damping rooms, perhaps you might consider a couple of diffuser panels as a posed to absorption behind your listening position.
Hi Harelquin,

I've since decided against placing anything behind my listening position. Tried some absorption and it definitely has an effect, but not a positive one.
Generally seemed to suck the air out of the sound. I guess I should have expected that, as I set up my speakers (lots and lots of trial and error) without anything behind the listening position. Diffusion may have a more positive effect, but for the time being I am really enjoying my new set up. Bass with the Guarneri's is really a good fit for my room. Every time I have tried larger speakers, They end up over driving my room and making everything overbearing.

ARC is spectacular gear. The Ref 10 is stunning sonically, though it takes up a ton of space, puts out a lot of heat and was a little too revealing for my taste. I ended up only listening to reference quality recordings and getting lost in the system rather than the music. This is just my opinion, but I was not a fan of the touch screen and the spring loaded volume knob that would not spin got on my nerves. Sonically the ARC method may be a finer method, but for general feel and pleasure of use, give me a regular volume knob any day. Just something satisfying to me about turning a knob.

The Primaluna HP is a huge step forward for the brand. I am anxiously awaiting reviews to see if reviewers find it as impressive as I do.
There is a large improvement in overall transparency (which in my opinion was always a weak spot on previous models - I owned a Prologue Two and a Dialogue Two previously). I am not sure why, maybe the change from two 12AX7s to three 12AU7s, but the volume knob has more useable range too. It is dead quiet, which is really important to me, especially coming from the Ref 10 which is spookily quiet. I also enjoy being able to tweak the sound a bit using NOS preamp tubes and EL34s, KT-120s and KT-150s.

The Guarneri's took a while to really bed in. I would say new owners should give them a good 200-250 hours to really hear what they are capable of.
I enjoyed my Olympica IIs but the Guarneri's are in a whole different league. Never say never, but I can't imagine myself ever spending more on a set of speakers or wanting to change them unless we move and I end up with a much larger listening space of course.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Looking great!! Fun to watch just how much your system has changed in the past year or so!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrong View Post
Looking great!! Fun to watch just how much your system has changed in the past year or so!
Thanks. It's been fun and at times frustrating trying to find the right fit for my space.
The one key thing for me that seems to indicate I am on the right path now is that I can sit for fairly long periods and not have any listener fatigue.
I can relax and focus on music rather than tweaks or the system in general.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Updated higher quality pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3399838863.jpg (39.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg image-1163079112.jpg (33.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg image-499424384.jpg (42.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg image-1876040703.jpg (34.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg image-1838771082.jpg (23.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image-1919516470.jpg (44.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg image-4119336761.jpg (44.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 PM

I'll bet that big tube amp looks awesome in the dark. Nice system and thanks for the new pics.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 PM

Jason,
Looking good!
Does the Prima Luna HP have plenty of power for your needs? Which tubes do you like best and/or use the most?
Paul
Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Really like your system. Minimalist and clean.
Cheers,
Sid
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvee View Post
Really like your system. Minimalist and clean. Cheers, Sid
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio badger View Post
Jason, Looking good! Does the Prima Luna HP have plenty of power for your needs? Which tubes do you like best and/or use the most? Paul
Hi Paul,

It kind of depends on my mood and which music I am listening to.
The KT-120 sounds a little crisper and a little closer to solid state while the KT-150 is a bit richer and produces a bit larger "sound picture".
I tend to love the KT-150 on stuff like Miles Kind of Blue, etc. Both have a great sound, but a little different viewpoint.
You can also sense more power overall from the KT-150s. This is a super general statements of course.
I also enjoy the EL34 for questionable recordings like a lot of stuff from the 80s.