AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 07-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

bratt.......I suggest you become a Subscriber to Audio Aficionado so that you can communicate with Private Messaging. That way you can send your email address without violating forum rules.

To become a Subscriber follow this link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

Also, kindly resize your photos to no larger than 1250 pixels wide before post to the forum so that they fit on a page without having to scroll side to side.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-18-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 AM

Default hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Bratt, on my K1's it was very easy to replace the tweeter. I damaged it myself, stupid accident.

It is ideally a 2 man job because its so easy to touch the fragile cones when you handle the drivers. The screw at the back can literally be removed with a coin, and the whole assembly, tapered tube and driver can be released. I am not sure about the Giya's however, but I would imagine not that different. Vivid will provide you with instructions. You would have to purchase a tweeter if the dealer does not accommodate you.
i just posted mew thread but it was deleted..

may i ask you how did you get the replacement and how much was it?

looking for replacement with reasonable prices for life time.

please help?!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
bratt.......I suggest you become a Subscriber to Audio Aficionado so that you can communicate with Private Messaging. That way you can send your email address without violating forum rules.

To become a Subscriber follow this link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

Also, kindly resize your photos to no larger than 1250 pixels wide before post to the forum so that they fit on a page without having to scroll side to side.

Thank you so much for your information
i will try now!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
They are an incredible, royal pain to replace mostly because if you look at the drivers wrong you'll dent them again. I know because I had to have one replaced once and my dealer accidentally damaged the new one while installing it, so a second was ordered and installed:

Anything even remotely magnetic will instantly be sucked into the driver, damaging it; my dealer told me a story of a convention lanyard taking out a tweeter when they were being installed for an audio show.

However the finish issues the other photos show are certainly not what I know to be Vivid quality.
really sorry for asking.

but would you please let me know the cost of replacement? and how did you get it?
do you think i can get this replacement of D50 and d125s? from
anyone else then dealer?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratt View Post
i just posted mew thread but it was deleted..

may i ask you how did you get the replacement and how much was it?

looking for replacement with reasonable prices for life time.

please help?!
Brat... I was lucky since Vivid is based in South-Africa. Philip Guttentag came to my house and replaced it himself since they were doing a demo in my home Town. In fact, the tweeter he installed was from a demo G1 .

I suggest you cut your losses and buy from your local dealer and get them to install it. That why you are safeguarded as you might easily damage the drivers if you install it yourself.

Last edited by Douglas; 07-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 PM

I agree; my local dealer did, in fact, accidentally damage one replacing it, and had to eat the product and labor cost to come out and swap drivers a second time.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Brat... I was lucky since Vivid is based in South-Africa. Philip Guttentag came to my house and replaced it himself since they were doing a demo in my home Town. In fact, the tweeter he installed was from a demo G1 .

I suggest you cut your losses and buy from your local dealer and get them to install it. That why you are safeguarded as you might easily damage the drivers if you install it yourself.

Thank you for your response
Well, local dealer just mentioned they can not replace it because it is too dangerous and difficult they may push it again.

they only can order for me and cost about 1000$ each and i have to do it my self.

which is not sounds right to me.

and now i only want the front parts and i am very sure i can replace it my self.
so just see if there is any chance i can buy it from vivid Audio.

i will post again when i done it
thank you for your response again.

Last edited by bratt; 07-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:51 AM

I think it should be made clear that the drivers are not remotely an off the shelf item.

These are not typical small company limited run speakers from a parts bin. When you buy a Vivid you are buying a one off from a design perspactive, not a relative of a hundred other speakers out there. Internal wiring, capacitors and the like would be off the shelf but the drivers are fundamental to the bleeding edge product that you are buying. I think there are still aspects of the engineering mule about them. They do a job, they have not been engineered first and foremost to be high end bling Sure, there are no wires hanging out or anything. They are the finalised product, but i don't think that robustness in a physically demanding domestic environment were critical requirements in the design brief. I'm sure words like "sufficient" would have been used a fair bit for this parameter.

In Australia the importer has done the repairs. I believe that the dealers are supposed to do it as a requirement for selling them but i get the impression that they weight up the risks and find a way to weasel out of it.

As an engineering first company Vivid should actually come up with a way of handling the driver replacement/repairs to reduce or eliminate the difficulties, particularly as domestic physical impact damage seems so common. Relenting and putting the Vivid decades drivers behind a metal mesh seems very wise.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 07-20-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
I think it should be made clear that the drivers are not remotely an off the shelf item.

These are not typical small company limited run speakers from a parts bin. When you buy a Vivid you are buying a one off from a design perspactive, not a relative of a hundred other speakers out there. Internal wiring, capacitors and the like would be off the shelf but the drivers are fundamental to the bleeding edge product that you are buying. I think there are still aspects of the engineering mule about them. They do a job, they have not been engineered first and foremost to be high end bling Sure, there are no wires hanging out or anything. They are the finalised product, but i don't think that robustness in a physically demanding domestic environment were critical requirements in the design brief. I'm sure words like "sufficient" would have been used a fair bit for this parameter.

In Australia the importer has done the repairs. I believe that the dealers are supposed to do it as a requirement for selling them but i get the impression that they weight up the risks and find a way to weasel out of it.

As an engineering first company Vivid should actually come up with a way of handling the driver replacement/repairs to reduce or eliminate the difficulties, particularly as domestic physical impact damage seems so common. Relenting and putting the Vivid decades drivers behind a metal mesh seems very wise.
hello?
same thing to me, Vivid just told me to contact to dealer.
and dealer calls like $800 or more for D50, and $1300 for D125s.
but they just order them for me and can not do repair or replace it.

I have to do it my self.

sounds doesnt make sense to me..

Now i would forget that all bad things, it is all my fault that i choose Vivid, and my son just made a mistake.

I have all the responsibility as Vivid telling me.

I am keep asking i will gonna take all the risks but want to buy the parts of them or whole set as assembly but fairly prices.
assembly cost too much in my country, and they mentioned to me today, i am trying to get cost of front parts, and fix and repair my self.

they also mentioned if i want pay less, they should ship the damaged drivers to Vivid and they will repair and ship it back to me.
and it cost all most same as buying whole set.

it is just too much i think.
$2000 cost repair the dented tweeter and mid ranges.

BUT no one help with this case again even head office of vivid.

Vivid just doesn't contact me back with this and dealer just says like this.

that is why i come here again and looking for any idea or help from overseas.

so bad days..

Last edited by bratt; 07-20-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:08 PM

There is a positive.

The drivers that you are referring to are supposed to be relatively easy to replace. I had to replace a mid bass and that is a tricky job. The tweeter and midrange are smaller. As long as you are focused and careful it is supposed to be simpler.

I suggest that you investigate the consumer law in your country. In Australia the person that sold you the speaker has to repair or replace the item if it is a manufacturing fault. That may not help owners that have impact damage, however, the store should have sufficient interest in customer satisfaction to provide some assistance even if it us at your cost.

I am also wondering if the Vivid owners community can help in that regard. Surely there are some owners out there with skills in these sorts of tasks who can put together a how to video. Some guys have had Phil Dickie help them out directly. Maybe they can ask him the question. No owner should be left stranded with a broken $50,000 dollar speaker thats only 12 months old. That is just insane and Vivid need to do something or they deserve a bad reputation.

I think Vivid would benefit from an active presence on this forum. The guy that does Audirvana and the designer of Chord's Mojo, Dave, Hugo and Hugo TT both engage with the audiophile/ owners very successfully and the companies reputation benefits greatly. Vivids products are even more upmarket but are similarly tech driven.

I think most of us are quiet reasonable to deal with and reputation is everything in such a small market niche.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 07-22-2016 at 01:19 PM.