AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 AM

Unhappy MB 100: weak control options via iPad or PC

I am truly disappointed with the abilities of my brand new MB100. I was expecting much more of a receiver of this class, some of the lower class receivers are functioning way better.

I haven't experienced any problems with any of my previous units such as Yamaha 3040 Avantage or Marantz NA6005 or B&W operating them via iPad or iPhone with full functionality, i.e., listening to network radio, accessing the built-in HDD and playing the files stored on it, accessing files on attached USB memory, accessing files and folders stored on NAS Synology. I was expecting that the MB 100 would run better than my previous devices. My local dealer also assured me that the MB100 would be amazing. I had really high expectations, which were, unfortunately, not met.

Before I get into the issue, I think a list of the devices I currently use might be useful to know: MB100, iPad, PC, MA7900, Network Storage Synology, Plasma TV with HD input, various USB storage devices with various sizes.

I guess there's only a small number of things I like about my MB100: the only feature functioning properly is the online audio streaming services, such as Tidal with Hi-fi subscription. I also love the Tune-Bridge function, which allows me to immediately search for the songs played on radio on Tidal.

And here's the list of the things I don't like about my MB100:
1) I am not able to play the media from a USB drive after connecting it to the rear of the device. Namely: it's possible to import from a small size USB (16gb), however the files are scattered in various albums and playlists. I cannot import the files without using a PC. When the import is completed, the Media Bridge interface has to be refreshed and while that's being done I have to rapidly click on every "Re-scan media" button, which pops up. But is not described in Owners manual , I had to search in forum
2) Large-size USB (500gb) Add/Import/Mount issues. "Add": pointlessly increases the size of the volume of the mounted HDD. "Import": see above. "Mount": there's absolutely no way to see the contents mounted on the Media Bridge Interface screen and no way to play those contents on MB100, except one: mounted volume is available on PC's file explorer window and you can play it Windows Media player and AirPlay it back to MB100. I repeat for the sake of clarity: after the external USB is mounted on the MB100, neither do I see the contents of the mounted volume on my HDMI-connected monitor nor I can play them. I have to use my PC to access the mounted volume and then play the contents over AirPlay. Ridiculous.
3) I cannot access the NAS Synology neither from my iPad or PC Media Bridge interface. I can synchronise the NAS Synology with MB100, it works. However, the space of MB100 HDD is wasted in this way and no files are visible in PC's file explorer window. To put it simply: the available space is gone and files are not visible either. They do exist on MB100 and they are playable.

I am truly surprised and dissapointed about all of this. Is there something I have misunderstood or is there something I am doing wrong? It seems so ridiculously complicated- adding, mounting, having to use my PC to sync etc. I just want to take my iPad, push a few buttons, turn on my MB100 (via my iPad, preferably), access the NAS, choose the file and simply play it. Or take my guest's USB, attach it to the MB100 and simply display the contents of it on my TV monitor or iPad without the need to add/mount/sync everything using my PC. This is what I have done with all my previously owned devices, which where substantially cheaper and in some ways simpler than MB100.

It makes me wonder, why do I have 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 and E-SATA inputs if it's not possible to take advantage of them and use them with ease...

I realize this is a lot to take in, but I hope you can look into this and give me some guidance. I appreciate the time you put into this.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 AM

Hi mocarts5. I saw that you called my cell phone a short time ago and received your PM. I'm sorry that I missed your call but I did replied to your PM.

The MB100 does have it's good and bad points. You are dissatisfied with the MB100 and your disappointments are valid! Is a return to your retailer an option? Perhaps inquire?

Regardless, I will do my best to aid your through your challenges and happy to do so.

David
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 AM

Than you ,Golucid. Before I return MB100 to dealer I have to be convinced that device really strange and unfinished. Therefore I will try to test all available advices.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Given that you got the MA7900, Marantz media streamer, and a NAS, I would like to know why you need the new toy. My setup (MA7900, Marantz NA8005, and QNAP NAS) does a great job in streaming HQ music via my iPad!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Hi, HKJDH! Toys, I have few sets of them, are placed at different locations. I just want to find out maybe I do not understand how to play with MB100? Of course, you are right - Marantz NA6005 operated by iPad satisfies me.