AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
That's not what I was told when the MX121 was announced. There is a lot of Marantz in there.
Kal - if you look at M. Fremer's review, maybe relook?, he says words to the same effect.

Sent using A.Aficionado
Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM

I know this is the Mc area of the site, but you did ask about comparisons to other manufacturers aswell.
I home dem'd a Marantz AV processor (think it was a 7000 series unit about 18 months ago) against the fairly ancient Meridian 568.2mm (legacy processor, roughly 10 years old). At the time, I easily preferred the Meridian solution, which did surprise me a little with the online comments of "you've gotta try this new fangled xxx, technology has really moved forward".
Since then, the 568.2mm has been replaced by a Meridian 861v4, which takes things up another notch or two and is on par with any stereo digital source I've tried (e.g. the Linn Akurate DS streamer that I home dem'd a few months ago).

The 861v4 can be had for sensible money s/h, but be aware that assuming you want to process HD audio from BDs, you also need a second box called a HD621. They're not killer expensive, but you need to be aware.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM

I compared the MX150 and the big Dennon unit at the time and I found the MX150 smoother sounding, but it could have been the difference between the 207 and the Dennon amp.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the 8802. It may make the short list.

I completely understand the separate 2 channel thing. Just not sure I can do both. I had some issues with my present Marantz piece that I outlined in my other reply, so I think it's the next piece on my upgrade list.
In my case, the 2 channel route bypass adds only 1 component the stereo preamp

I still need the same speakers and power amps. Just that all my 2 channel stuff get hooked up to the stereo preamp's inputs. And my multichannel gear remains powered off when i listen to music.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
In my case, the 2 channel route bypass adds only 1 component the stereo preamp

I still need the same speakers and power amps. Just that all my 2 channel stuff get hooked up to the stereo preamp's inputs. And my multichannel gear remains powered off when i listen to music.
That would definitely be the ideal. Fortunately, I've got some time to ponder and demo. Who knows...maybe a two channel and upgrade to my Cambridge bd751 would be the ticket
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
I'm researching an upgrade for my Marantz AV 7005.
I use a McIntosh C48 preamp for my 2 channel listening and a Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp processor in my home theater. Yamaha uses a pair of ESS Sabre 9016 DACs for each of the eleven channels in the CX-A5000 and other design features to preserve the audio signal quality. The Yamaha is not a McIntosh, but in my opinion is worth an audition.

You may find the review at the hometheaterhifi web page interesting where the author compares the Yamaha CX-A5000 to his Marantz AV7005 in certain bench tests and his conclusions.
Yamaha CX-A5000 11.1 SSP (Surround Sound Processor) - HomeTheaterHiFi.com
Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 PM

The Yamaha is a recent $3000 msrp prepro (I reviewed in 3/14) and the Marantz is an older $1500 msrp prepro (I reviewed in 3/11). It would be banner news if the Marantz was preferred.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM

I don't think the Yamaha is HDMI2.0 compliant though where the Marantz AV8802/7702 are.

The 8802 will also get a free update to HDCP2.2 compliance when that becomes available.

I am inclined to wait.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM

Default Yamaha CX-A5000 is HDMI 2.0 compliant with updated firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I don't think the Yamaha is HDMI2.0 compliant though where the Marantz AV8802/7702 are.
I performed a search on Google and confirmed that Yamaha offered a firmware update to make the CX-A5000 HDMI 2.0 compliant. In my experience, Yamaha, like Marantz, has been diligent about offering firmware updates for its flagship preamp processor.

I also appreciate the ease of updating the Yamaha by the internet connection. This is much more user friendly than the process for updating the USB firmware for my McIntosh C48.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 03-23-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added comment on ease of updating.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 PM

These all seem like really great options, and I'm very grateful for all the advice! I actually had a Yamaha RXv 2800 prior to my current system. Very neutral sound. I've not had any experience with their Pre-pros, though. Others that I've glanced at were the Cary and Anthem.

Last edited by rjryan; 03-23-2015 at 11:01 PM.