AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 10-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Eric Whitacre - The Sacred Veil
Los Angeles Master Chorale
Qobuz 24/96

Another recommendation from Stereophile.
Not entirely my cup of tea, but I can see a lot of people who will really like this.
I'm not against dissonants, on the contrary, but here it is sometimes disturbing.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Racing Hoopties

Merel Vercammen & Maya Fridman - Silent City (DSD 64 download from Native DSD). What a recording of a Violin and Cello! Simply beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1603661613.098311.jpg (78.2 KB, 14 views)
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Debussy: La mer, Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune; Ravel: Rapsodie espagnole
Francois-Xavier Roth, London Symphony Orchestra
LSO Live

DSD128 2.0 from NativeDSD.com
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Merel Vercammen & Maya Fridman - Silent City (DSD 64 download from Native DSD). What a recording of a Violin and Cello! Simply beautiful.

Craig, you're not the only trptk fan here.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-26-2020, 03:57 PM
Life is beautiful

This was playing into the practice today:

Domenico Scarlatti - Mandolin Sonatas
Pizzicar Galante
via Qobuz

Old 10-26-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portioli View Post
Debussy: La mer, Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune; Ravel: Rapsodie espagnole
Francois-Xavier Roth, London Symphony Orchestra
LSO Live
DSD128 2.0 from NativeDSD.com
I've ordered multichannel. Roth is one of the most interesting new(ish) young(ish) conductors for me.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:49 PM
Life is beautiful

Alessandro Stradella - San Giovanni Battista
Le Banquet Céleste, Damien Guillon
Qobuz 24/96

Guillon decided wisely to give the leading role to another counter tenor and plays the harpsichord parts here, while conducting.
Interesting work.

A composer who led a dissolute life and ended up stabbed to death in Genoa, Stradella nevertheless left a distinctive stamp on the history of music. He is situated at the intersection of several stylistic paths and periods, at the crossroads between opera and sacred drama, since his output, and especially San Giovanni Battista, marks the encounter of the great Roman oratorio inherited from Carissimi with the Venetian opera of Cavalli. Stradella is also close to the next generation, that of Scarlatti and Handel. His music is characterised by liveliness, expressiveness and profound humanity. Although San Giovanni Battista enjoyed genuine success when it was premiered in 1675, it was only in 1949 that the work was exhumed from the libraries where its score lay slumbering. That event took place in Perugia, and the role of Salome was sung by Maria Callas. © Alpha Classics
Old 10-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I know I have posted this spin previous but I really need to call attention to it.

OK, I know on the surface this recording makes no sense. An hour and 56 minutes of music dominated by harp. Piano etudes, done on a harp comprises an entire disc.

Disc 2 is predominately music inspired by Mr Glass with one very important exception, Koyaanisqatsi which Ms Meijer makes completely mesmerizing.

This is just a brilliant album.

Lavinia Meijer
The Glass Effect: The Music of Philip Glass

Release Date November 11, 2016
Duration01:55:58
Genre
Classical
Pop/Rock
Avant-Garde
Styles
Chamber Music
Contemporary Instrumental
Minimalism
Modern Composition
Recording DateJuly 1, 2016 - July 6, 2016
Recording Location
Muziekgebouw Eindhoven, Netherlands

Ed showed us the way to this fantastic double album with repetitive music that is so addictive...
Old 10-28-2020, 08:24 PM

Default What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

Sibelius: Concerto In D, Op. 47; The Swan of Tuonela
David Oistrakh, violin
Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy
Columbia (1959)/Speakers Corner Records (2017), vinyl

I’ve been an Oistrakh fan since my teens, when I first heard his performance of the Bach concertos. Beautiful, romantic, but not over the top - the perfect antidote to too much HIP (not that I don’t enjoy my fair share of HIP as well[emoji16]).

This is an excellent reissue.

b
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 10-28-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:56 PM