AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Great video by Danny Richie on why cables matter

Danny Richie, one of the best loudspeaker designers in the industry has a great video (with data) on...why cables matter.

Joe Bob says, "Check it out!"

https://youtu.be/DC0s6KqQz3g
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-29-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:25 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Ethan Winer, author of "The Audio Expert" and award winning electronic circuit maker and computer programmer has a great video (with data) on...why cables don't matter.

Mark Weiss says, "Check it out!"

https://youtu.be/ZyWt3kANA3Q
Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
Ethan Winer, author of "The Audio Expert" and award winning electronic circuit maker and computer programmer has a great video (with data) on...why cables don't matter.

Mark Weiss says, "Check it out!"

https://youtu.be/ZyWt3kANA3Q
No, thanks.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 AM

Default Great video by Danny Richie on why cables matter

Too bad the cables in the first video are not terminated.

The cables, used as antennas, will affect the resonant frequency behaviour of the RLC circuit in the tuner. This is basic radio “one on one”. For an antenna out of spec, the outcome would be that the markings on the tuning dial would no longer correspond with the actual tuning frequencies of the circuit.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he had turned the tuning dial so a resulting new resonant (tuning) frequency for each of the cable-tuner combo’s would match the frequency of some received carrier signal, all cables would score the same.

I’m staying out of the cable debate...but this experiment with the tuner is just flawed for what he is trying to prove.

BTW...just out of curiosity...did he use the AM or the FM circuit to conduct this test ?

Last edited by JemHadar; 06-30-2020 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
BTW...just out of curiosity...did he use the AM or the FM circuit to conduct this test ?
I think he said he's using an FM station early in the video

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 06-30-2020, 11:51 AM

I’ve lost all interest in cables and upgrades in general ever since I realized professional musicians could not tell a difference between a Stradivarius and a modern violin. They have a gift, a talent and a trained musical ear, while I have nothing but interest in listening to music. Let’s just say I no longer spend money on this hobby as I mostly listen passively now.

The cable debates are so long in the tooth and so polarizing that they will probably continue long after all speakers become active without the need for cable clutter.

This trend is starting to be embraced by “less than hardcore audiophile” groups which can very well outnumber the “diehards” in the future.

But I did have fun for a few decades listening to all kinds of borrowed cables and ICs.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
But I did have fun for a few decades listening to all kinds of borrowed cables and ICs.
It was fun until it wasn't.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:15 PM

Since I don´t have a tuner I'll continue to go about as I have before when searching for new/better cables. I visit the local stores, pic up a handful of the most interesting candidates.
Hook them up in my system, one by one. And.... (drum roll) listen to them with music.
It may seem un orthodox and unscientific to some.
But to me, this is what works best.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Since I don´t have a tuner I'll continue to go about as I have before when searching for new/better cables. I visit the local stores, pic up a handful of the most interesting candidates.
Hook them up in my system, one by one. And.... (drum roll) listen to them with music.
It may seem un orthodox and unscientific to some.
But to me, this is what works best.
I agree.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:11 PM

To those who tell me that cables do not matter, I am glad to report them back that all red wines taste the same. For sure they will appreciate the savings.