Music What really matters most

Old 03-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Delicious indeed.
Streaming it this time (24/96).
Triple delicious
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 03-03-2021, 04:47 PM

That's very good!

Sonny Clark - Leapin' And Lopin'

Recorded in 1961, Blue Note ST-15366, via Qobuz 24/192

Sonny Clark — Piano
Tommy Turrentine — Trumpet
Charlie Rouse — Tenor Sax
Ike Quebec — Tenor Sax
Butch Warren — Bass
Billy Higgins — Drums

Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 03-03-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Lisa Ekdahl
Peter Nordahl Trio
- Back To Earth
via Qobuz

As the review says, quite charming.

At first, Lisa Ekdahl's squeaky, girlish voice may seem inappropriate for the pop standards she has chosen to make her trade, but given some time, her voice and laid-back style become endearing. True, she occasionally seems mannered and borrows heavily from her inspirations (most notably Billie Holiday), but she shows signs of developing her own style throughout her second American album, Back to Earth. Like its predecessor, When Did You Leave Heaven, Back to Earth was recorded with the Peter Nordahl Trio and has a charming mellow vibe. Nordahl has an elegant turn of phrase and his rhythm section -- drummer Ronnie Gardiner and bassist Patrik Boman -- has a light touch that keeps the focus on Ekdahl. It is true that her voice may strike some listeners as odd, but it's girlish, not thin, which means she can nail the emotions of the songs. There may be a few missteps here and there, but she delivers ballads ("What Is This Thing Called Love?," "The Laziest Gal in Town," "Now or Never") as well as swing ("Down with Love," "I Get a Kick Out of You"). Yes, the selections are a little predictable and Ekdahl is a bit of an acquired taste, but ultimately, Back to Earth is quite charming.

© Stephen Thomas Erlewine /TiVo
Back in the CD days she was a regular play, nice listen
Old 03-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Shirley Horn - May The Music Never End

She died in 2005, but her music will indeed never end.
With cooperation of Ahmad Jamal, Roy Hargrove!

Last one for tonight.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-03-2021, 06:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Island Breeze
Eric Gale
Fabulous play from the man from Barbados!
Elektra Musician Series Musician 9
Regards,
Jim

Old 03-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The Bridge
David Sancious
Some wonderful jazz piano improvisations extremely well recorded!
Elektra Musician Series E1-60130
Regards,
Jim

Old 03-03-2021, 10:03 PM

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Flight
Blue Note Tone Poet Series, vinyl

I love this album, and the reissue sounds great.

I think hell must be freezing over: while searching for a link for the cover photo, I found the Tone Poet vinyl on Walmart.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-04-2021, 11:28 AM

One of the things beside the always stunning Sound Quality that I like abot the albums from the https://www.soundliaison.com/label is that they take the time to write good and informative liner notes. Other labels should pick up on that, imo.

Quote:
"The older I get the more I embrace silence and space" - Ack van Rooyen

Oftentimes when you don’t play, that’s where it happens. That’s where you bring the other musicians into play, invite them to be a part of the story telling. So many musicians fill up every bar, probably out of insecurity. It’s like when being in a conversation, one can be afraid of silence, afraid of the space between the words.

To me the key question is; what do you hear while you play? When you have developed the ability to hear what the other musicians are playing at the same time you are playing yourself, that’s where it gets really interesting, that’s where the notes turn into music.

Juraj listens while he plays and he has no shortcomings, there is a straight connection from his mind to his hands. We have played together for a long time, with Juraj I have no need for a rhythm section, we feel time the same way, we work hand in glove.
I was in New York in 1949, I had already heard the recordings but to experience Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Fats Narvarro in person was mind blowing. Later I was in Paris and heard and met Miles. We didn't talk much back then, when he wasn't playing he was busy looking into the eyes of Juliette Greco ;-), but his playing left a lasting impression.

I play the flugelhorn not the trumpet, it fits my personality. A trumpet is combative, with a trumpet you can go to war, I don’t like war. I’ve been lucky that embrochue was never a problem for me, my brother Jerry, who was a fantastic trumpet player, always had to work on his chops, whereas I, even now, just need to find the right spot on my lips. But of course I always have my mouthpiece at hand in my breast pocket, I do my exercises every day.

It was wonderful working with Frans and Peter. They really know how to create a creative atmosphere by making everyone feel at ease. And the sound is topshelf. I can hear every little detail while also hearing the depth of the hall. Chapeau!

Ack van Rooyen

You just turn the switch dear, it's just acting...

While making Ingmar Bergman’s 'Autumn Sonata', Swedish actress Liv Ullmann described the different approach she and her co-star of the movie, Hollywood legend Ingrid Bergman, had in preparing for a scene. Liv would be closing herself off getting 'into character', all the while out of the corner of her eyes she could see Ingrid telling jokes and laughing with the coffee lady. But the moment the director called action, she would switch on the spot and become the character she was playing, forcing Liv to give it her utmost in order not to be blown off the set. When Liv inquired how she was able to get into character so instantaneously, Ingrid replied; "You just turn the switch dear, it's just acting, not life and death".

Recording 'Soft Shoulders' with Ack van Rooyen, (born 1930) and Juraj Stanik, (born 1969) reminded me of that story. After setting up and getting the levels right, we had lunch which was a real treat as Ack was generously telling anecdotes and answering questions about his life in music, his thoughts on teaching music and life in general. Afterwards I accompanied Ack, down to the studio space, where Juraj was already busy warming up on the piano. Before going back up to the control room, I went by the cafeteria to pick up a cup of coffee for Frans. The moment I arrived back in the control room, I heard Ack’s voice through the speakers saying: "I think that was a keeper….. Frans?.... Peter?....what do you think?". First take was in the box.

The list of people Ack worked with in his 75 year long career is endless, to name a few; Miles Davis (Montreux festival), Gil Evans Orchestra, Clark Terry Orchestra, Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Getz, Lee Konitz, Toots Thielemans, Steve Gadd, Jan Gabarek, Kenny Clarke, Niels Henning Ørsted Petersen, Aimé Barelli Orchestra (Parijs), Peter Herbolzheimer Big Band, WDR Big Band, Dutch Jazz Orchestra, Metropole Orchestra, SFB Bigband, Süd-Deutscher Rundfunk Orchestra and the Clarke-Boland Bigband.

Creating a Visual Sound...

This recording is true to the visual image of Ack and Juraj in the hall. Juraj is to the left at 10 o’clock and Ack to the right at 2 o’clock. We captured not only the 2 dimensional placement of the musicians but also the depth and wideness of the hall. Creating a Visual Sound is a question of moving the microphone slightly forward and backwards and listening critically. I must say that I keep being impressed by Frans de Rond’s expertise in this field.
The album was recorded with the Josephson C700S microphone. We did support the piano ever so slightly with a pair of DPA microphones just to add a hint of definition.
Peter Bjørnild

Last edited by Pau; 03-04-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post

Marya Lawrence, "Paying the Bills". Unfortunately, can only be streamed. Great jazz singer.

Glenn, good recommendation!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-04-2021, 03:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau View Post

One of the things beside the always stunning Sound Quality that I like about the albums from the https://www.soundliaison.com/label is that they take the time to write good and informative liner notes. Other labels should pick up on that, imo.

Pau, you're right.
Their liner notes incite me to find out more of the artists.
I went to explore all albums from Ack van Rooyen on Qobuz.
I also read a good interview with him, where he tells that he lost his wife, an American jazz singer in '19.