AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 PM

Default Isolating a VPI Classic

PMCH (Paul) has become a really bad influence. After a wonderful experience when buying his PMC speakers, I couldn't help myself when his VPI Classic became available...

I need the help of our resident analog masters. I want to isolate the TT in the best way possible. I have been making stands for each of my components...so far, I've been using 1.5" thick solid walnut stands with brass cones placed on my rack (see pics below.)

Would a similar approach be beneficial on the top shelf of the rack for a VPI Classic? Would it be more beneficial to use a walnut stand placed on isolation blocks and not use the cones for this application? Or, should I bypass the extra stand all-together?

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 AM

Bump for ideas. The TT arrives tomorrow.

I guess the question is based in physics. The cones should help deliver energy away from the turntable, but in turn could deliver energy from elsewhere to the TT.

The isolation blocks would absorb and deaden energy coming either way. I'm guessing that is the primary job of the feet of the TT.

I'm assuming the cones would help "hook up" the turntable to the stand and rack...in turn acting as added mass to the TT? The isolation blocks would separate the TT from everything beyond the stand.

What makes more sense here?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM

Bump for ideas. Sorry I don't have any knowledge on the subject. The walnut rack is beautiful, the Classic 1 should look great on it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Why not just try the table on the rack as is and see if you actually have a problem before you do anything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM

I know VPI puts a lot of faith in the plinth/table alone. I would agree with Don, try the table first just sitting on the rack.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM

My classic works great when placed directly on the rack. The isolation of the VPI feet is very good with no feedback problems whatsoever.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 AM

I had a Gingko cloud platform under my VPI super scoutmaster.
It was the best $400 I have spent on my system.I don't know if they do them for the Vpi Classic.There are are reviews on the net for the effect on the SSM though.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 AM

I owe it to you fine folks to report back on my findings.

First, the VPI Classic is a beautiful piece of equipment. Gawk-worthy in every sense. Second, when combined with the Soundsmith Zephyr, a Wireworld Platinum IC, and a choice piece of vinyl, the sound is magical. A freaky dead-black background like I've never heard with vinyl before. It bests the MVP881 with a SACD in every respect except when good vinyl is not available. Right now I'm listening to Alison Krauss and US, So Long So Wrong on MOFI 180 gram vinyl and the sound is amazing....so much air and the soundstage is HUGE! With Krauss, her crazy effortless high notes can sound a little digital on CD or SACD....vinyl smooths everything out. So cool.

The stand ended up making no noticeable difference to my ear. Placed directly on the top shelf of the rack, I could jump up and down right in front of the rack and get no noise. I could also knock on the top shelf and no noise would end up being produced through the Classic...extremely impressive. The final decision on going without the rack came because the height of the TT on the top shelf is at a perfect height for changing records....it just feels and looks right.

Thanks to all who responded with tips!

Brent
Old 11-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Brent, glad everything is working out so well for you. You will have to post a picture of the Classic on your walnut rack. Bet it looks fantastic.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
I had a Gingko cloud platform under my VPI super scoutmaster. It was the best $400 I have spent on my system.I don't know if they do them for the Vpi Classic.There are are reviews on the net for the effect on the SSM though.
Gingko does make a platform for the Classic. It has made a difference and do recommend it. I have had mine since the purchase of my Classic about two and half years ago. Model is the 11C. Bought the table top cover which is made to fit the platform/covers beveled edges. I got mine through Acoustic Sounds.