AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM

Have you ever auditioned cables from the cable company? Their library is extensive with a percentage charge credited back against purchase. Shipping on you. The ability to try different power cords etc is educational and unique to your rig.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 AM

I always have this feeling that IF the cable can provide to the betterment of a product's performance, especially high end gears, they would have been provided as part of the deal in the first place. After all, why subject one's top end product to so many variations in performance? Maybe its the marketing strategy to have a "build-in intention" to start a controversy gear change mind-set from the very moment the gear is being used?

I have moved on from this mind-set although I must admit the build quality, parts used in the high-end, high cost cables are gorgeous to behold. BUT can the high price justify the huge difference in outlay to performance?

Say, a top speaker cable that costs UDS$25k a pair, hooking it up to the Alexia's would make it a Maxx3 or even an XLF? Or that when hooked to the Magico Q7 makes it a pair of Q9 (the next top line that is NOT even produced?).

Since this is a free market, one can pay and will pay to one's satisfaction but performance enhancing to the value, I guess not. Maybe perceived.

Now ... "flame on"
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
Have you ever auditioned cables from the cable company? Their library is extensive with a percentage charge credited back against purchase. Shipping on you. The ability to try different power cords etc is educational and unique to your rig.
Yes. In the past I have tried cables from The Cable Company and purchased a few based on my trials. I have since decided upon Transparent which they do not carry. It was a smooth process.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I put WW Silver Electra 5^2 power cords on my JL Audio F113's and did not discern an improvement, BUT (1) my home already has fairly clean power and (2) more importantly, both subs are plugged into non-dedicated 15 amp circuits. I strongly suspect that if the subs were plugged into 20 amp circuits I would hear more of their true potential and that the power cord upgrade might really make itself felt under higher amperage.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
Forget those big $ cords IMO. Better cords have improved conductors, dielectrics, build quality, and usually some sort of RFI filtering. High frequencies attenuate very quickly so you are mostly concerned about reducing interference from local area lighting, fans, cell phones, microwaves, etc.

I really like the basic Kimber PK10 for amps and PK14 for sources etc. Similar cord and Wattgate connectors as their more expensive cords but without the silver or gold plating - and cryo I believe. The regular ones are a great value IMO.

kimber.com/products/powerkords/

With regards to power cables I will say this. I was running the Kimber power cords and they were certainly better than "stock" cords. I will however add that the Shunyata Black Mamba cords I now have outperform the Kimber's by a substantial margin. Would this be duplicated on a sub plate amplifier? I have no practical experience as I'm not running a sub woofer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 PM

I've heard some good stuff about Shunyata and Wireworld as well. In most shoot-outs Kimber is at, or near, the top and for the money ($190-230) it's good enough for me. The cable you mention is at least 3-4x as expensive.

http://w.w.w.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/2/

Whatever your preference is, I strongly believe that an upgraded outlet is as important, if not more so, than the cord itself. Without good metallurgy, and adequate contact pressure with smooth surfaces at a molecular level the contact resistance will be impaired.

Also, I only prefer plating if it lacks an intermediate nickel layer. If it has the nickel layer, then I like to see a thick Au or Ag final coating.

Last edited by junker; 05-24-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Generally speaking, stock power cords SUCK.

I have upgraded all my power cords to Shunyata Ztron Cobras, a Triton power conditioner, and a Shunyata Ztron Python powering the Triton. Without a doubt each cord, and power conditioner upgrade, made a tremendous improvement to my modest gear. I would have to be deaf to not have heard this. It is like adding a really good component.

My advice to people now is that power is the foundation of your system. Get the best and cleanest power you can afford, and then work on the gear.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM

I never quite understood the whole point of aftermarket power cords. I even tried a pair wire world and could not hear any difference coming from my PPP to my 501's.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM

I decided a year ago or so to stop playing power-cable-roulette and simply make my own.

Belden 19364 14AWG for general use. (Shielded, flexible) approx $5/foot
Belden 83803 12AWG (for higher current needs) (Shielded, not all that flexible) approx $12/Foot

I then use, depending on mood, either Wattgate/Marinco or Furutech connectors.

i.e. for 20AMPs FI-32M-N1, FI31, FI33
Some techflex braiding and a bit of shrink tubing and away ya go.
...having said all this, no doubt many folks don't want to mess around making cables.

Once you've decided on connector type, only remaining issue is which flavor of Techflex. yea, the plain black sounds better than the plain grey, and the grey stripped should only be used with digital devices.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Rayooo, you did an excellent job and your cables look professionally made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I never quite understood the whole point of aftermarket power cords. I even tried a pair wire world and could not hear any difference coming from my PPP to my 501's.
I'm with you.

The believers might say you need to change cables to more components to hear a difference.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 05-24-2013 at 08:45 AM.