AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Default Dave Wilson and WAMM—a short history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tddy...5fIIYVeyTx91Lg
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 AM

Excellent video. It's been about a year since I bought my Alexx which is essentially a scaled down WAMM clone and was designed concurrently by Daryl alongside the WAMM. My system has stabilized. I no longer feel the need for anymore upgrades. I heard something in my Alexx with my old system I never thought I hear: the possibility of achieving a perfect sound for my ear. Everybody's ear is different. The secret to the high end is to discover equipment that fits your hearing profile and budget. I have never experienced a speaker I couldn't criticize but at the same time appreciate. I loved my Maxx3's which I had for 5 years. But in absolute terms I thought the bass slightly slow and undamped, the midrange slightly rough, and the treble slighty "white" for want of a better word. The Ti tweeter while difficult to fault always called attention to itself. However, the Maxx3 had tremendous sonic qualities that space can't allow me to enumerate. All its tremendous qualities carried over to the Alexx along with the elimination of its faults. The Alexx possess both pace and power. Its woofers are quick and perfectly damped. Its upper bass the best I have heard something very difficult for a large speaker to achieve. Many expensive speakers do the low bass very well but their woofers can't do the 100 Hz range well thus robbing the music of pace and energy. When I first experienced the Alexx I thought there was something wrong with the woofers. I couldn't see any movement. The excursion was like that of a midrange. I had to put on the Wilson sub test disc to verify the strong 25 Hz and 30 Hz notes easily present in my room. By far the Alexx has the strongest and best 100 Hz tone I have heard in my room which has always had a difficulty with this note. Dave Wilson is a genius. With the WAMM he left a legacy that will be appreciated for many years. Before I can't hear anymore I am glad to finally have experienced a speaker that I wholeheartedly like. Thank you Dave Wilson!

I finally posted my system under Member System Forum.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 03-26-2019 at 04:43 AM.