AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 06-29-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I’m a huge fan of bi-amping/tri-amping.

My SF Aida’s are tri-amped/tri-wired w/ Burmester 911’s. Never sounded better; in fact a big improvement over bi-amping.
Quote:
Carl, I agree with Ivan. Also, the 350's will not put out the heat of a 750. These amps are very rugged even though they run hot. I can only imagine how pure class A sounds through your Fenice. These amps run class A 100%. In addition, there is no capacitor bank lag with high current demand. The engineering is amazing. The Krell dogma was the larger the amp the better the sound. By employing 4 350's you are in effect doubling the size of the amp, achieving the equivalent of a 750 per channel with the benefit of bi-amping. I can't imagine what 6 350's (tri-amping) would sound like. It would be beyond me.

Best,

Charles

Ok. Hehe. So that's a big YES I hoped you would answer like that.
I'm already looking for one more pair of 350mc.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 PM

Carl, that's what I would do. I believe you will obtain a significant sonic improvement. You can consider tri-amping later. I am glad these amps are still available and the parts.

Best,

Charles
Old 06-30-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Carl, that's what I would do. I believe you will obtain a significant sonic improvement. You can consider tri-amping later. I am glad these amps are still available and the parts.

Best,

Charles
As you know my preamp is KRC-HR. It's not possible to use with two pair of poweramps but not without some kind of modification. KCT is built for bi-amping and also with the CAST option I think. That's for sure convenient.

Does anybody know how KCT sounds compared to KRC-HR? I like the KCR-HR and I will not risk any sound quality.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Carl, it appears to be close to a toss up with the nod going to the KCT. There are some good discussions on the internet. You are fortunate that the KCT can be employed for bi-amping. The KCT has CAST.

Best

Charles
Old 07-13-2020, 04:20 PM

I just got cheated on the internet

I'v been looking for Krell 350mc or 450mcx. In eBay I found a pair of 450 mcx from a man in Corsica, France. He was living in Ajaccio he sid. I'v got pictures, serial numbers and everything was ok. I'v been to Ajaccio (were Napolion was born) and we discussed the aria a bit. It all looked fine so I payed through PayPal. The seller were to give me tracking number and so. Then he responded that there was a problem... I froze. I'v just used PayPal to vinyl records and this was a bit scary. I was fooled.

I felt bad about it, angry and a bit foolish. So I started to se what I could do about it. Before any conclusions and less than 12 ours later I'v got an e-mail from a man in Finland. He said that he got my money from PayPal and wondered why? He wondered if they were from his seller and for paying some taxes for his amps that were stuck in Turkey. (Thats another very complicated story). He was told that money were to come from a friend in som relation to the seller. I explained my situation and he had no 450mcx to sell and payed my money back instantly. Though, he had payed for Audionet Amps and were told to pay those taxes as well. We figured out that we had the same seller and that he made a quite impressive scam. It's even more to this matter but this was a summary of it.

I'v never bought used HiFi-goods from outside Sweden before. And the lesson is that it's very risky business. I'v been very lucky this time. But it was really close.
I will probably not do this again unless extreme precautions are made.

Be careful out there guys.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Listener in Training

Wow, glad you got your money back. It's amazing where these criminals lurk, and the trouble they take with scams. As much as I hate to say it, with a career heavily involved with international trade, trans-national transactions can be risky. I hope the guy in Finland gets his money back.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post

I just got cheated on the internet

I'v been looking for Krell 350mc or 450mcx. In eBay I found a pair of 450 mcx from a man in Corsica, France. He was living in Ajaccio he sid. I'v got pictures, serial numbers and everything was ok. I'v been to Ajaccio (were Napolion was born) and we discussed the aria a bit. It all looked fine so I payed through PayPal. The seller were to give me tracking number and so. Then he responded that there was a problem... I froze. I'v just used PayPal to vinyl records and this was a bit scary. I was fooled.

I felt bad about it, angry and a bit foolish. So I started to se what I could do about it. Before any conclusions and less than 12 ours later I'v got an e-mail from a man in Finland. He said that he got my money from PayPal and wondered why? He wondered if they were from his seller and for paying some taxes for his amps that were stuck in Turkey. (Thats another very complicated story). He was told that money were to come from a friend in som relation to the seller. I explained my situation and he had no 450mcx to sell and payed my money back instantly. Though, he had payed for Audionet Amps and were told to pay those taxes as well. We figured out that we had the same seller and that he made a quite impressive scam. It's even more to this matter but this was a summary of it.

I'v never bought used HiFi-goods from outside Sweden before. And the lesson is that it's very risky business. I'v been very lucky this time. But it was really close.
I will probably not do this again unless extreme precautions are made.

Be careful out there guys.
Carl I would report this to eBay. I thought they had some liability in something like this. Glad things worked out and you did not lose money. Keep looking!

Best,

Charles
Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Whoa, that was a close call! It's a scary story, but the nice part is that the guy in Finland did the right thing.

I agree with Charles that you should report the seller to eBay. It might help save the next guy.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:46 AM

For quite some time I'v been looking for some Krell amps. I like the idea of Bi-Amping my The Sonus faber. I like the sound of Krell FPB very much. The problem is that they have not being produced for a long time, for around 15 years.
So, I have to search for used units. It's not that easy. A lot of things have to fit into my demands. Safe by in any aspects, units in good conditions, it should be one of my FPB candidates models that I think suits my system and so on.

At first I thought a pair of 350mc or 450mcx were the only options. But I found a 400cx in very good condition. I tried it and was impressed. I tried it solo so that I could hear what it really performed. It was very close to my 350mc. It's the same amplification as 350mc apart from that 400cx has got more watt-power but a transformer that supports both right and left channel. I think most people would be impressed actually. At least my friends that were helping me evaluate it.

Now the plan is to use 400cx for my 15`woofers, 18-80Hz and 350mc 80-30.000(+) Hz.
I have to try this more careful but I think 350mc is better from mid-bas and up, a bit more transparency, air, and holographic depth. And 400cx has got more power for the lower end.

I'v got three more questiens to answer.
Preamp, speaker cables and interconnection.

Preamp: At the first I had 2 preamps. Krell KCR-HR and Krell evo202. Both re good but KRC-HR is more fun. Krell evo 202 has the Cast connection to the FPB amps.

KCR-HR lack the possibility to biamp... but Nordost can build a special cable with a split so that I can use biamping. I bit complicated I think.
Why not try Krell KCT preamp I thought? Ok, found a used one in good condition and tried it.

It's actually a god mix of KCR-HR and Evo202. Still fun to listen to with very good bas ability and at the same time more open than KCR-HR from lower mid to treble. It's also more transparent. It lacks a bit power in the mid bas compared to KCR-HR but it's still enough to hit you hard in the chest. It's over all more open and voices are a bit more pronounced.
I like it and it also has CAST and ability to Bi-Amp The Sf.

I'm not done jet. I have to make another round with Evo202 and KCT. But so far KCT is the candidate on top.

I just want to point out that these three preamps are good and I could live happy for all my life with each of them, but since I think it's fun to really figure this out I will consider every aspect of the sound the way I like it.
To try them side by side is really interesting.

My speaker kan use three speakercables. Deep low (18-80hz), low and Mid-Hi conections.

Speakercable: I have to think about this. I use Nordost overall in my system. Of course Nordost Odin would be the best option, no doubt about it. The Odin I'v got has to run the low and mid-hi and I thinking of another cable to deep low. I will try different cables with good low frequency ability. We will see how this turns out.

Interconnections: I decided to go with the Cast option and try to find Nordost Cast cable that is slightly better then Krell Cast cables. I'v got some Nordost Cast from earlier days but they are a bit short.

Three generations Krell remote:

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-28-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Go Dawgs

The Krell KCT was one of if not the best preamp Krell ever made IMO. Excellent piece, especially if you can utilize the CAST connection.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3