AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM

Default Any Audio Research PH 8 Owners Out There?

I was just wondering if there are any AR PH 8 owners out there? As many of you know I am not a big analog proponent but I do want to maintain that capability for the occasional spin. I have not been happy with either the phono stage in the 2300 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS so I started looking for a reasonably priced unit to fill my needs. I decided to bring home a PH 8 today and give it a try. So far the unit sounds pretty good. I do wish it had a smaller form factor like the ProJect Unit.

Any comments from owners out there.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM

I hate to be non responsive to your question, but have you checked out the Esoteric E-03 Phono Pre being offered by Ivan in the Marketplace new at a substantial discount? I bought one myself a few weeks ago and it is fabulous. Chris.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I was just wondering if there are any AR PH 8 owners out there? As many of you know I am not a big analog proponent but I do want to maintain that capability for the occasional spin. I have not been happy with either the phono stage in the 2300 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS so I started looking for a reasonably priced unit to fill my needs. I decided to bring home a PH 8 today and give it a try. So far the unit sounds pretty good. I do wish it had a smaller form factor like the ProJect Unit. Any comments from owners out there.
I also was not happy with the phono stage in my 2300 and when I purchased a Ref5se I also bought the PH8. It was pretty good in my system but it has no gain adjustments and my lomc cartridge was not a great match. I think with the proper cartridge match my results would have better.
I have since sold it and moved on. At that price point there are many choices.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Chris
I have considered that option for several years now. If this doesn't pan put I may take another look at that alternative.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 PM

Jim...another option to consider is the Zesto Andros phono. Lots if flexibility. Great sound. A bit cheaper than PH-8 and just as accomplished. A bit smaller too. Many positive reviews as well as owner feedback. Many here on AA own it as well. Another option to consider.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Chris I have considered that option for several years now. If this doesn't pan put I may take another look at that alternative.
Jim: The reason I raised the E-03 is that although it is the width and depth of a standard component, it is not very tall, does not run hot, is easy to set up, and offers a lot of flexibility. Those features seemed to address some of your concerns with the PH8. The fact that it sounds great and has a great soundstage and imaging doesn't hurt either. I had been considering an ARC phono pre myself when I got the Esoteric. Chris
Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jim...another option to consider is the Zesto Andros phono. Lots if flexibility. Great sound. A bit cheaper than PH-8 and just as accomplished. A bit smaller too. Many positive reviews as well as owner feedback. Many here on AA own it as well. Another option to consider.
the Zesto is a wonderfully sounding unit for a very reasonable price.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 AM

I use PH8 before and I think it is a good unit just like many ARC products. However, I dont think it is any better than phonostage inside C1000T that I used as preamp esp when I use telefunken tube.
Goldmund 32.5, Goldmund Apologue Anniversary, MC1.2kw, PS10, MT5 (Miyajima Zero), Linn LP12SE (EKOS SE, Kandid, Radikal Klimak, Urika), Raven AC3 (Reed 3P, Miyajima Kansui, Durand Talea II, MC Anna), TechDAS Airforce One (Durand Talea, Anna Diamond), ARC Ref Phono 10, Miyajima ETR Mono, Vivaldi DCS, Vivaldi Upsampler, Vivaldi Clock, Valhalla 2 SC & IC, Transparent MM2 Ultra and Reference IC
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrm View Post
I use PH8 before and I think it is a good unit just like many ARC products. However, I dont think it is any better than phonostage inside C1000T that I used as preamp esp when I use telefunken tube.
I have already had a C1000. I don't really want a two or three box pre-amp again.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 PM
George

I own a PH8. I really like the ARC sound. The PH8 is quiet and dynamic and fast. It is a great sounding phono stage. I have a couple thousand LPs, that I wanted to be able to play. I use a VPI Aries, with a Van de Hull Frog. I think it is a great sounding preamp for the money. I believe the turntable / cartridge have more to give, so the REF 2SE would be a better choice if I was more committed to my vinyl. I have always found the phone stage to be the weak link in the chain. If I get more committed to my vinyl I'll probably upgrade. But you sound like me, I want vinyl to sound good, but it isn't what I play most of the time.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.