AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Dartzeel NHB-18NS .... darTZeel NHB-18NS preamplifier | Stereophile.com
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 AM

My quest is for SS preamp that sounds like valve(ref40). Not for that transparent sound of most of the best SS pre amp, otherwise I could use Pandora to match perfectly with my power amp. Toga
For DartZeel, understand that the XLR output is not their strength.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
What led you to choose the Ref 10 over the DAG preamp?
Well, several reasons. First of all I'm a big fan of ARC and have always liked their products, specially the preamps. When comparing the two, I think the ref 10 sounded a bit more organic and had better low-level definition, though the Momentum had a little better resolution in the upper frequencies, but overall I liked the ARC Ref 10 best. Secondly most of my other gear are from ARC, and synergy here matters more than the Momentum Pre/Power combo. Infact the Ref 10 works remarkably well with Mom Stereo. Third, the price difference between the two preamps is almost $9000 in Norway, and finally the there was a 6 months delivery time on the Momentum preamp.

BR, Sven
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA View Post
Well, several reasons. First of all I'm a big fan of ARC and have always liked their products, specially the preamps. When comparing the two, I think the ref 10 sounded a bit more organic and had better low-level definition, though the Momentum had a little better resolution in the upper frequencies, but overall I liked the ARC Ref 10 best. Secondly most of my other gear are from ARC, and synergy here matters more than the Momentum Pre/Power combo. Infact the Ref 10 works remarkably well with Mom Stereo. Third, the price difference between the two preamps is almost $9000 in Norway, and finally the there was a 6 months delivery time on the Momentum preamp.

BR, Sven
Thanks - you have a nice system. Sounds like all the right reasons opting for the Ref 10.. The newer ARC preamps do mate well with a variety of amps. Did you get a chance to hear the Ref 250s?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM

It would be great to hear your view on the Pass XS if you audition them. I am considering them to go with my XA200.5's and Magicos.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Thanks - you have a nice system. Sounds like all the right reasons opting for the Ref 10.. The newer ARC preamps do mate well with a variety of amps. Did you get a chance to hear the Ref 250s?
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to hear the 250's, but I borrowed my friends 210's for a while. Very good sounding amps indeed, but I found the Momentum S far better on the Wilson Sasha. When deciding for a new power amp, I also wanted to avoid expensive tube changes.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Thank you. That was long time ago, now I have much less time to do so. And having own a really good components makes it difficult to find something that is exciting anymore. And I am start to get tired of testing stuffs, doing that for too long. Recently I am moving my attention toward home theater upgrades. New pre/pro, new multi Ch amp, new screen are on my lists. Anyway, for now, pass Xs look promising if I really want to upgrade pre amp.. I should ask one in for home audition. At this level, I can't afford any upgrade that is turn out to be a backward sonically, just need to be very careful.Toga
Hi Toga,

I just picked up the Pass XP-30 preamp last week, which was their top of the line preamp before they came out with the XS preamp. I have to say this is one of the most impressive preamps that I've ever heard. It does not sound at all like a solid state preamp. I would describe it as smooth, transparent, organic and slightly sweet sounding. But it has all the bass power, dynamics, control and detail of a solid state amp. I've never auditioned the XS preamp but I would imagine that it's a material step up from the XP-30, considering that it uses superior parts in its construction and benefits from knowledge gained from designing the XP-30.

What amp do you have?

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 01-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Hard to beat the sound of tubes in a preamp (I have tried but even at higher price points SS always seems to reduce the humanity and texture compared to ARC Ref 40). But, if I were on the hunt I would check out Vitus.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi, I like and always happy with Ref40 overall performance. Is there anyway I can keep this sound, but without having to keep replacing tubes? That is if there is solid state preamp that sound at least just as beautiful as Ref40, I may interest. This is to use with Gryphon Mephisto power amp. I don't like much the sound of Gryphon Pandora preamp because it lacked tube magic of ref40. How about Pass Xs pre? Levinson No.52 ? Etc.. Toga
Toga, I am a big Audio Research fan and have two of their preamps. But if you want the absolute best sonics from a preamp in the world then give a First Sound preamp a try. There are several caveats however. First it is single-ended only and it has no remote control. It is a tube preamp but it only has two tubes per channel and the tube lasts almost forever. I have not changed a tube in five years. Each one is custom built for each person. The owner is a master at soldering - each joint is near jewelry quality. The stepped attenuators are hand soldered for each step using Caddock or Vishay resistors depending upon the options you choose. The power supplies are separate chassis with enough capacitance for a high power amplifier.

Highly recommended if you fit the narrow profile.

No business or financial interest.

Last edited by CGabriel; 01-11-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 PM

I have owned a Ref40, Ref 10, Pass XP30 and have had the Xs for a couple of months. All excellent preamps and I could live with any one of them and be very happy. The Xs is the best of them but not by a wide margin and that is obviously one man's opinion. Ref 10 is very similar and very close in performance.