AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred69 View Post
Hi Raidho

for sure i'll not use REF 150 and no REF 250 on my future Alexia, only KAS600 or perhaps KAM 900 (mono blocs).
They drive the bass like no amplifier can at this price. All The Wilson need a lot of power to drive the bass.

I think you're thinking of the same dealer as me in France because of Esprit cable, in september i'll shift my Kubala cable for Esprit Lumina or Gaia: Really magical sound, incredible (the only cable who can compare to Gaia or Lumina are the Tranparent cables OPUS). I listened the Gaia on Karan amplifier... Oh my god !

For the moment i use CD player from Metronome Technolgie, i'll update (but keep my metronome) for a new system like you say "dématérialisée" because this same dealer has a very good choices in theses systems !
Hallo fred69,
I dont go with a ref150 with my sasha2 too."link" have Karan like "product" on the edge the sell. Yes, is a good equipment.....You have never listen the ASI amplifier? the are very expensive (ar. 60k euro!) but you can have this great monos for 20k as second hand!

For the Alexia stay with Karan if are you happy...use a tube preampli with the Ayre or Dagostino is too a good choice....(but more expensive from the Karan..
Old 08-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Yes i know the Asi amps it sounds good but there is too much reports about troubles with this brand.

There is good chances that i stay with karan with the Alexia
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM

Sorry but pass xa can be very emotional and surely not too bright. Use them with a good preamp, the right power cable and modulation and it will reveal what he can do, really. A good example is that before, it was impossible for me to listen to jazz like stan getz or miles davis, and with those Amps it has become one of my favourites...
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspock View Post
Sorry but pass xa can be very emotional and surely not too bright. Use them with a good preamp, the right power cable and modulation and it will reveal what he can do, really. A good example is that before, it was impossible for me to listen to jazz like stan getz or miles davis, and with those Amps it has become one of my favourites...
Hi jpspock,
in a system for ME the preampli and the source are the more important "point" the have a great sound.

the combo AR (or other Tube premapli) with Pass (or SS ampli - often better if works in class A) give you amazing sound.

Repalce my preampli Pass Xp20 with a Ref5se or a REF10 give me more pleasure as new power ampli.

I like Jazz very good too.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Hi raidho, I agree with you about importance of the preamp in a system. But the amp is very important as he has to be able to drive my sasha. I made many comparaisons with the same source, the same preamp and changing of amp, like pass x.5, or xa.5 or arc ref150, or d'agostino, and each time it gave a different result... more than changing a preamp.
Xp20 is a good preamp, but a ref5se plays in another league, and with tube nos, you will be in another constellation...
Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Hi,

that's right but a good pre and source with a "middel" ampli give you again a "good sound" but if you have the best ampli available and a entry level pre and source the sound stay at very low level.....

I see you are in brussel: store like noir&blanc / Newmusic / Ludwig are in your best store liga?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

I know very well new music and noir et blanc and this from more than 30 years. I know ludwig lesser, he is new on market.