AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Musica View Post
Alberto - You are quite right; I did not give enough information in my original post. I have owned my Solovox's for 4 years, and as much as I love them, I find myself more and more missing the upper and lower frequencies. I also wish they could play louder and with even more (lifelike) presence. My dream speaker, the one that could address all of that and so much more, is the new Aud 23 Cinema Hommage. It is, without a doubt, the best overall speaker for me that I have ever heard. Just flat out superb in every way. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive ($54,400 per pair) and have a very low, perhaps not even measurable, WAF!
Hi Steven,

Thank you for providing that key information. Those Aud Cinema Hommage are a sight to behold! But I've learned that WAF is good thing ... unless you have a dedicated room (or are willing to put up with spousal discord) a good looking speaker is a good thing to have. My wife loved the Sonus Faber Homage (another Hom[m]age) as much as I did --- little pieces of functional sculpture.

Alas, many horn speakers, starting with that bane of wifes world-wide -- the Klipschorn -- have been an aesthetic challenge.

But I'd say that between the Solovoxes and the Cinema Hommage there's a wide spectrum of speakers, including Shindos owns, that will give you what you are looking for -- and for less spousal discord and less money.

I have classic (wood, leather) decor with warm tones around my house, so too modern looking speakers would clash. I've "settled" for Tannoys which match our style and furniture well, sound great and, like the Solovoxes, are point sources (which really helps with imaging IMO.)

The search and hunt is half the fun, so keep us posted!

Alberto
Old 05-05-2015, 03:57 AM

What about the Volti Audio Vittora Speakers? These offer some serous build quality and great specs for tube amps. The cabinets are made from 1" thick Baltic Birch, frequency response of the Vittora System is 25Hz - 20Khz and Sensitivity is 104db.

The fit and finish is superb and one of the most beautiful speakers that I have ever seen.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM
alive and kickin'

Quote:

Riesling - That is an interesting idea about incorporating LM's replica WE 597A's. (Thank you for the link. Wish I could read German!) Pursuing that option would almost certainly involve communication with Keith Aschenbrenner (sp?) of Aud 23 if for no other reason than to get his blessing. and guidance.

You could begin by asking the US dealers first for their help (Toneimports or Pitchperfect) and their "blessing" for coupling the 597A to the PHY21LB15. I confirm from personal experience that "Rondo with 597A" driven by a Shindo chain is a winner !
The interesting thing is that this is a step that permits to take a next step (if you wish so), as the 597A can be coupled with other horn drivers (LM555 -> Hommage 22A) or even with other wide range speakers (TA-4181). Check the bottom line here Ken
Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Alberto - Your comments about spousal accord and WAF made me smile. My wife has been wonderfully supportive of my audio passion (addiction?) - I have three very good systems, none is in a dedicated room, and two are in semi-formal rooms (living room and den). So I have tried my best to make certain that the audio equipment both sounds good and harmonizes with room aesthetics. And so, the search and hunt (aka fun) continues!

Beowulf - I have seen photos of Volti speakers and read many good things about them. But they would be too big for our living room.

Riesling - Thanks for the additional information about incorporating the replica WE 597A's. I assume that the 597A's would simply be placed on top of the Solovox enclosure; not sure about the sonic consequences of drilling into those cabinets! Anyway, the next thing I plan to do is audition the new Aud 23 Hommage Ken speakers, which I believe my dealer is receiving very soon.

Thanks again to all of you for your replies and suggestions!

Best Regards,
Steven
Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
alive and kickin'

No need to vandalize your precious Solovox.

You can put the 597 on top of the Solovox, on the floor, on the inner side of the speakers, on the outer side, behind the speakers... in order to get the best result in your given room and main listening position

this is my actual favorite constellation

Last edited by riesling; 05-09-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Yes, there is always a problem with the highs with widerange speakers. Not many have solved this and when, it will become too much expensive.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 PM

I have owned the PL in field coil for the last year and have wanted for nothing. The 753 have a 15 inch woofer rather than the PL's 12. I would expect them to sound tonally similar and if so, I would highly recommend them. The PL are even more coherent than the single driver Lafite I owned and have much more presence. No contest. I can't compare these exact two speakers you asked about, but I've owned both speakers of similar design. I'd never move from the PL as the Latour are too big for the room.

How about the 604 in field coil as a possibility? You can get it in both the Latour and Petite Latour cabinet size. Kevin bought it in the Latour cabinet.

Quote:
Bill (Loop4fun) - I have talked with my dealer about the 753's. They are still made, but my dealer does not carry them. Before I would consider a long road trip from Ohio to New York to hear them, I am hoping to get some feedback from people who have heard them. I do like the way they look, and another plus is the fact that my wife also likes the way they look!
Best Regards,
Steven
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Riesling - Thanks for the additional information about incorporating the replica WE 597A's. I assume that the 597A's would simply be placed on top of the Solovox enclosure; not sure about the sonic consequences of drilling into those cabinets!
Please do not put the 597A on top of the Solovox.
The volume difference between both drivers is to much....

My advice: 1m behind, but the on the same horizontal level like the Salabert drivers.
You can choose between the Salabert or outside...

The highs from the LM597A are in the beginnig very strong. After 6-7 months they moved to very smooth highs...

Kind regards

Last edited by privilegia; 05-07-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 PM

At this point I have pretty much ruled out the replica 597A option.

I have heard the 604's before. I liked them, but I recall overall preferring the Solovox with all of its "shortcomings" . . . :->

So next up for an audition is the Hommage Ken's as soon as my dealer gets them in.

Unless of course I just do what my wife fears is inevitable - order a pair of the Cinema Hommage and a pair of the D'Yquem's! And a preamp upgrade, too! :->

Best Regards,
Steven
Old 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM

I think better and worse is always subjective, and more correctly is "better suited" or "worse suited" in high end audio. I have a hard time taking a blanet comment like "brand x is better" very seriously.

I was taken with the shindo. Others may not be, but it's at the top of my list.
fight the good fight