AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-29-2020, 11:23 PM

I have been happily married to the same beautiful woman for 50 years. I want life to continue the same so I plan to avoid Wilson speakers.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
I have been happily married to the same beautiful woman for 50 years. I want life to continue the same so I plan to avoid Wilson speakers.
Solid plan Bill. Latest HiFi news flash. Wilson speakers cause divorces.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Now that’s funny Serge! As you say ouch..
Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 PM

I love the sound of my Alexx's for sure and have never had anything better in my room ... as far as the looks go I happen to really love the way WA speakers looks. I'm immune from divorce over speakers as my wife loves the look of Alexx over my previous speakers the Sasha's which she always said looked like McDonald's trashcans.

George

As a side note she showed me the copy of the Absolute Sound from September when it came in with the red XVX on the cover and said I should waste no time in acquiring these ... just saving my pennies! LOL
Old 01-01-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Wilson speakers are not Magico... Magico uses lots of stiff materials in their contruction. Metal cabinets, stiff, carbon reinforced cones, as well as Beryllium tweeters, etc... Magico speakers tend to sound, well, like METAL. Very accurate, fast, detailed and very sterile in the context of many, many rooms and systems. Good luck with that type of sound long term. It takes quite a bit of skill to put together a system that would be forgiving enough to listen to a broad range of music with Magico speakers.

Wilson uses non-resonant cabinets that push the resonance points lower and lower, near 2 hertz I heard lately? So the drivers are free to strut their stuff without coloration. What are the drivers? Paper Pulp woofers, Doped Paper Pulp mids, Doped Silk Fabric tweeters... Does any of that sound like metal?

Again, we all have our preferences and we hear different not only due to age but for physiological reasons.

It would be wise to sit and spend some time with Wilson speakers under conditions that allow for a fair and honest audition if one is interested in pursuing a magnificent sound that can be just about everything one asks for.

Or not...

Go and audition a dozen of other high end speakers and perhaps one of them will connect emotionally. Wilsons as well as some other speakers, in the context of proper synergy, more than speak to me and I can easily build a system around each and enjoy. Precisely what I did with the current system that is not Wilson based.
You obviously have never heard Magico under ideal conditions.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post
You obviously have never heard Magico under ideal conditions.
Why would you boldly assume that? I have a nearby dealer that carries Magico. So yes, I have... Overture Audio in DE. Their rooms are typically good sounding rooms. Again, it is personal preference and we all tend to hear differently. I do not like speakers that are revealing to such a degree that every flaw in components and especially in the recordings are revealed and emphasized and Magico do exactly that to my ears. You may like them, I don't have to.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Why would you boldly assume that? I have a nearby dealer that carries Magico. So yes, I have... Overture Audio in DE. Their rooms are typically good sounding rooms. Again, it is personal preference and we all tend to hear differently. I do not like speakers that are revealing to such a degree that every flaw in components and especially in the recordings are revealed and emphasized and Magico do exactly that to my ears. You may like them, I don't have to.
He's right, he doesn't have to like certain speakers. Just like people don't have to like Wilson speakers just because he does. My original post was aimed at people who are very familiar with Wilson and who didn't find them to be right for them. Was hoping big Wilson fans would just ignore and move on. This wasn't meant for the "what you think are best" debate.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
I have to say Serge, your experience is different from mine.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:03 PM
George

Quote:
I completely agree with you. Also we have similar tastes. Speaker the reveal the ultimate levels of detail to me have always also revealed flaws in upstream equipment and lost musicality. Some people love the detail... nothing wrong with that. Just not for me.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I have to say Serge, your experience is different from mine.
Hope you understood that was sarcasm... No Wilson speaker has ever caused me anything but great listening pleasure.