AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks guys. Ivan, yes, appreciation for Italian rolling art is certainly contagious!

Brief impressions of the two bikes. I rode the Moto Guzzi for about 45 min today and the Ducati for about an hour and a half as I already had another similar V7 from Moto Guzzi and was more or less familiar with it.

First up the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. When I first saw the images of the V7 Racer a while ago, I knew right away I wanted one. I placed an order for one right away. My dealer got 2 in and that is it. There may be more for MY2013... When I saw the V7 Racer in person the other day as the two Racers arrived with consecutive serial numbers at my dealers, I loved it even more. This bike has undeniable style, charm and a rather nice combination of what would remind people of a true vintage bike and or a Cafe Racer of the past... I had two people start conversations with me today as I was picking it up telling me about their Norton and Triumphs from years ago... The V7 Racer pays homage to the V7 Sport from decades ago that was quite legendary in it's own right as guys raced in the modified production class, aka, "gentleman's class" and then debate which bikes are better, the Italian or the Japanese around CAFE tables.

Stylistically the V7 Racer has quite a bit going on, red frame, swingarm and hubs, single seater suade saddle, a top fairing with a number plate as well as side racing number plates. Brushed and drilled aluminum side panels, throttle body guards, solid billet foot pegs, Moto Guzzi has outdone itself with this one and it really doesn't cost that much more over the V7 Classic!

Riding the V7 Racer is also a rather unique experience, it has an addicting and fun personality of lower HP but adequate torque and it feels like you are not going to break any speed records but it is so much fun just to cruise at more sane speeds and take in the scenery and enjoy the twin cylinder rumble and personality of this bike. The long throw, rather wide geared 5 speed gearbox combined with a torquey motor allows you to not sweat the details, pick a gear and go.. take your time revving the motor through the gears and watch the front end swallow up the curvy road ahead of you at a more relaxed and easy pace than usual. No need to rush or sweat the small stuff. It's just you , the bike and the road. Somehow this bike makes you feel like you really did time warped into the past. Awesome, fun bike. I like it a lot.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
Wait ... Wheres the Ducati Boots!
I'll have to check them out but I do have a very nicely worn in pair of Alpinestars boots that are so comfy!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
We are kindred souls; I was checking out all their cool apparel just last night.
Yeah, don't think I also didn't get a few sweatshirts and t-shirts!!! I have an excuse why I can buy Ducati brand stuff now.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

You can spend many thousands in the boutique shop, but you already know that.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Here are some more pics. The other day when my V7 Racer arrived. Probably the one and only time it will be next to his consecutive numbered brother. Born in Italy, shipped over together on a boat to be adopted and separated by their respective owners in the USA.

My Racer this morning, ready to ride home from Fast by Ferracci.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 PM

I did not order the 848 EVO for myself as I did not think I would want to own one. It was love at first sight!!! My EVO was actually already under contract and a guy was waiting to get financed. He did and then never came back to pick up the bike for whatever reason. I guess he changed his mind... Of course I snapped it up the moment my dealer told me it was available.

I'll get a race stand for it and Monday the EVO is going back to be treated to a new exhaust system by Termignoni. Newly designed carbon racing silencers for the new Ducati 848 EVO. The kit includes removable db killers, electronic control unit (ECU) with dedicated mapping and a high-performance air filter. Yes, 140HP is more than enough for a bike that weighs barely over 400lbs but those Termi's sound so devilishly good!

Last edited by PHC1; 04-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
Wait ... Wheres the Ducati Boots!
Don't forget a back protector! I think its the best safety addition of the past few years. The 1/8" of leather in a jacket is not enough to protect your back!

The newer honeycomb design also breaths and are more comfortable.

Last edited by tamarasue; 04-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarasue View Post
Don't forget a back protector! I think its the best safety addition of the past few years. The 1/8" of leather is a jacket is not enough to protect your back!

The newer honeycomb design also breaths and are more comfortable.
A back protector is a good idea.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM

My first impression of the Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE.

I've only ridden two other Ducati superbikes in my life and both were in the past, actually the 851 and 888, both pre 916 models. I recently rode a 796 Monster and thought it was a bit too cramped for my frame and riding style although I am sure it is a great bike none the less. Just wasn't for me.

The earlier 851 and 888 are in the distant past and I was not even used to superbikes back then so my impression was that they both scared the crap out of me. Over the years I've admired but never actually considered owning a Ducati Superbike.

Enter the 848 Evo Corse.... Wow, what a machine!!! Yes, I've owned plenty of Japanese bikes, both liter and 600cc class machines. The Ducati 848 is in many ways similar yet feels so different... Where I thought the recent Suzuki GSX-R600 was a great handling bike, the 848 is a scalpel! It slices and dices almost telepathically! You envision a line and it takes you through it. I was rather conservative today with the new tires and all but this bike's handling is orgasmic!!! The fully adjustable 43mm Showa forks up front and the Ohlins couter-spring monoshock out back makes the bike ride and handle with surgical precision and confidence inspiring sure footed-ness. Of course a bike like this needs a race track to discover the limit and the true capability.

The motor is very torquey and very powerful for such a light bike. Again, I was very conservative with the brand new bike with no miles but I already got a good taste of what this bike will unleash when I am ready to open it up. Being used to mostly the smoothness and linear power of the inline 4 of Japanese bikes, the twin will take some getting used to but I'm seriously liking this Ducati Testastretta Evoluzione Twin already. This bike has a strong character when you roll on the throttle. First gear will make the front wheel come up in a heartbeat under throttle.

As I rode out from the dealer I thought to myself, yep, another really uncomfortable sport bike.... Then something happened. Yes, the ride position is very aggressive, yes it feels like it will be similarly uncomfortable and yet somehow, everything started to gel and I actually was perfectly OK with the riding position... Hmmm... that's a new one. I actually wanted to keep going after an hour and a half but I had to get home. I am pleasantly surprised.

The Brembo brakes are simply outstanding. What else would one expect from a respected name like Brembo?

Two interesting features are the variable traction control that keeps the rear wheel from loosing traction under acceleration on less than optimal road surfaces, very nice! and the Ducati Quick Shift that eliminates the need for clutching while upshifting. I am still playing around with this feature. It seems nice but I am so used to working the clutch that I almost have to concentrate and tell my hands and feet not to clutch on upshifts, kind of counterproductive at this point.

Bottom line, the EVO has incredible looks, handling, power and appeal. Pure Italian SEX on Wheels. Love it so far! If you have ever wanted or lusted a Ducati, do it!!!

Last edited by PHC1; 04-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM

Beautiful motorcycles, but I'm especially partial to the Ducati. Just a gorgeous machine. Congratulations on your purchases!!