AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Semi-audiophile

This arrived at 7:25 EST.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (90.6 KB, 302 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by jdandy; 12-01-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 12-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

. . . . .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Semi-audiophile

Here's one with it on the shelf, which I took care of last night. Today I plan to do some listening. And while I wouldn't say I'm deeply excited (last night I felt very matter-of-fact about the whole thing), this AM there is a sense of anticipation which may well grow as the day goes on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0196.jpg (90.3 KB, 216 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by jdandy; 12-11-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Semi-audiophile

Having begun to play more familiar material, my demo/reference CDs in particular, I'm prepared to add another descriptive to my short list for the MCD500. Not only is there more ease in listening, smoothness, and occasional detail I don't recall hearing before, but yesterday the term "refined" came to mind, as if the sound seemed a bit more organized.

On Eliane Elias' Cross Currents CD, the last track revealed some percussion I don't remember hearing before, at least not the way I heard it yesterday. And overall, piano sounded a bit more like piano on a CD of Beethoven piano sonatas; an acoustic guitar sounded more like one on Antonio Carlos Jobim's Wave. This is good so far. Let the testing continue, I say; just not tonight probably, as I'm stuck at work right now.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......My experience mirrors your description. When I moved from the MCD301 to the MCD500 I heard a more refined, detailed presentation with improved resolution that allowed me to hear deeper into the musical performance. The MCD500 is a fine CD/SACD/DAC. Even though it does not provide a USB input that would allowed computer audio to use the DAC, an outboard USB to coaxial converter is all that is needed to open that option for you. Pete (Vintage Pete) uses the Bryston BUC-1 USB to coaxial converter to play high-res audio through his MDA1000 DAC which does not have USB input. Sounds amazing.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......My experience mirrors your description. When I moved from the MCD301 to the MCD500 I heard a more refined, detailed presentation with improved resolution that allowed me to hear deeper into the musical performance. The MCD500 is a fine CD/SACD/DAC. Even though it does not provide a USB input that would allowed computer audio to use the DAC, an outboard USB to coaxial converter is all that is needed to open that option for you. Pete (Vintage Pete) uses the Bryston BUC-1 USB to coaxial converter to play high-res audio through his MDA1000 DAC which does not have USB input. Sounds amazing.
You mention resolution; there was another thing I noticed along these lines. Playing the Mamas and the Papas' song California Dreaming from one of those Time/Life multi-disc compilations, there's a line that I always thought said, "Well I got down on my knees and I BEGAN to pray"; but listening to the song on the MCD500, it says "and I PRETEND to pray." Interesting.

Last edited by prepress; 12-16-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: discovered typo
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

California Dreamin'

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)

California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees (got down on my knees)
And I pretend to pray (I pretend to pray)
You know the preacher like the cold (preacher like the cold)
He knows I'm gonna stay (knows I'm gonna stay)

On such a winter's day

If I didn't tell her (if I didn't tell her)
I could leave today (I could leave today)

On such a winter's day (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

Old 12-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
California Dreamin'

I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)

On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees (got down on my knees)
And I pretend to pray (I pretend to pray)
You know the preacher like the cold (preacher like the cold)
He knows I'm gonna stay (knows I'm gonna stay)

On such a winter's day

If I didn't tell her (if I didn't tell her)
I could leave today (I could leave today)

On such a winter's day
And in a performance of the song on the Hollywood Palace via YouTube, it was confirmed as well. It is indeed pretend. I didn't imagine it.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Semi-audiophile

Over the relatively short time I've had the MCD500, I've come to really enjoy it. As stated earlier, it's smoother with a bit more detail than the 301 it replaced. Not to say the 301 was bad, just that I've noticed a positive change in the sound and am convinced the 500 is better. That I was able to trade it in helped also, since I don't gain another box to add to the clutter in my 1BR apartment.

I'm also of the belief that no change or upgrade should ever be necessary. I do still wonder now and then what the Marantz SA-10 would sound like in my setup, but there's no need to pursue that. Other, more important things to address and not a lot of money to go around should take care of that. Should. I'll see.

I do wonder what the 500 would sound like with different tubes in my 2300. That wouldn't cost anything, as the tubes are on hand, just the time it takes to swap them out and re-connect stuff. That may be happening, as a re-configure is possible due to turntable issues.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Retired

Quote:
Charles.......The MCD500 is a fine CD/SACD/DAC. Even though it does not provide a USB input that would allowed computer audio to use the DAC............
Dan - That seems to be one of the differences between the MCD500 and the newer MCD550.
Based on your and Charles and some professional reviews the MCD550 is back in the mix with the Accuphase DP-430 and Esoteric K-05x for my CDP upgrade. Would like to stay with McIntosh as long as I don't feel I'm giving up anything.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag