AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Lamm LP2.1 Dual-monaural phono preamplifier

Lamm plans to demonstrate their updated phono stage, the LP2.1 ($8690) at CES 2014 in rm 35-111 at the Venetian accompanied by the Lamm M1.2 Ref amps, L2 Ref line stage, and Wilson Alexia speakers. The front plate appears identical to the LP2 but for the version number. Iirc, the original LP2 came out in 2002 and used 417A/5842 tubes.

Lamm will also have a 'big' room with the ML3 Sig amps and Verity Lohengrin II S speakers (killer) and other goodies.

Below is info from Lamm:
-----------------------------------------
We are coming out with a modification of the LP2 phono preamplifier – new model LP2.1. The LP2 is not upgradable to the LP2.1 as we use a different pc-board, different power transformer and different tubes. The modification centers around the new tubes (6C3P and 6C45P-E – the same ones that are used in our LP1 Signature phono preamplifier) and corresponding adjustments in the circuitry. The LP2.1 will be commercially available at the end of January-early February.

-----------------------------------------
Model LP2.1 is the next generation of the original LP2 -- the first in the line of LAMM phono preamplifiers.

The LP2.1 features the following upgrades and modifications in comparison to the LP2:
  • introduction of many technical solutions that had been implemented in the LP1 Signature (just like the ML2.2
  • single-ended power amplifier derived many of its technical solutions from the ML3 Signature power amplifier);
  • introduction of the new tubes: 6C3P and 6C34P-E (same tubes that are used in the LP1 Signature phono
  • preamplifier), and corresponding adjustments in the circuitry;
  • significantly reduced output impedance;
  • new parts that had been developed by various manufacturers since the introduction of the LP2;
  • new pc-board material
  • super low noise power transformer
The LP2.1 is a dual-mono vacuum tube phono preamplifier with two electrically and mechanically separated channels. It features a topology that brings out the most natural sound performance in the audio path, as well as graceful and sophisticated design.

The preamplifier operates in a pure class A mode from input to output. High-current drive capability, in combination with unique single-ended class A circuitry, enable the preamplifier to drive any cable and any reasonable real world load, while maintaining its practically inaudible sonic signature. When connected to the appropriate type of electronics, and especially LAMM amplifiers and preamplifiers, it assures the extraordinary transparency of perceived sound and recreation of a three dimensional soundstage in the home, recording studio, etc. without boundaries and limitations.

All amplification stages utilize high transconductance very low noise high-current vacuum triodes. No loop feedback is employed.

The LP2.1 features a very accurate passive RIAA EQ network. The preamplifier's audibly neutral power supply features a full-wave vacuum rectifier which, together with a choke-containing filter, helps reduce the hum and buzz to almost negligible levels and, in the end, ensures the verity of dynamic range without coloration. Solid-state analog voltage regulator is used as a heater supply. Other features include two sets of inputs for each channel and gain/selector switches for MM and MC cartridges.

A unique electronic protection circuitry mutes the outputs until the LP2.1 has stabilized upon being turned on; it also automatically mutes the preamplifier in case the AC line voltage drops or is interrupted, as well as at the turnoff of the unit.

Each preamplifier is carefully crafted with the hand selected components of the highest quality, some of which include military graded low noise DALE metal film resistors; 1% tolerance RCD wire-wound resistors; ELECTROCUBE and VISHAY/ROEDERSTEIN film capacitors; high frequency switching grade CORNELL DUBILIER electrolytic capacitors; FISCHER “Camac” connectors; specially selected military-graded low-noise longlife vacuum tubes; and a custom-designed super low noise power transformer.

The LP2.1 is especially effective in large systems with speakers of reference quality that make it possible to recreate the unique qualities of LPs. The LP2.1 is designed to be used as part of the truly hi-end audio system and is capable of reproducing the studio- or life-recorded musical event with reality approaching that of the concert hall. It is also designed for use in the recording studios as a reference preamplifier for the purpose of controlling the recording process itself and the quality of LPs.

The LP2.1 is available in two versions: standard and deluxe. In the deluxe version, the power supply stores more energy, all film capacitors in signal path are bypassed by polystyrene capacitors of the highest available quality, and a custom-designed massive damping panel significantly reduces all types of mechanical vibrations which, in turn, leads to a slightly more extended, coherent and natural bass reproduction.

The LP2.1 works on all world AC line voltages.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 AM

Lots of indepth information, as usual with LAMM. cudos.

But one of the most important features seems to be missing: the input impedance values.

I enjoyed my time with the M1.2ref but moved on since.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE View Post
Lots of indepth information, as usual with LAMM. cudos.

But one of the most important features seems to be missing: the input impedance values.
From the spec sheet I saw, Lamm indicates the same input impedance values as the LP2.
MM input: 47KOhms shunted by 200pF
MC input: 400 Ohms

Input sensitivity values are updated
MM input: 1.25 millivolts RMS +/- 2%
MC input: 0.125 millivolts RMS +/- 2%

Intro booklet and full specs in pdf are here.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 AM

Wel then, LP 2.1 will be perfect for a specific cartidge, which fare well at 400 Ohms.
I don't get this, a 10K+ USD MC phono with a fixed input impedance.
LAMM could at least offer a point at which the user may solder a resistor with specific value..

BAT does this, DartZeel, Atma-Sphere, CAT too. Still the most audiophile way, it skips a switch or relais.. And still no remote volume ? I could be a LAMM guy very well, but these two design choices keep me away. what do you think?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE View Post
Wel then, LP 2.1 will be perfect for a specific cartidge, which fare well at 400 Ohms.
I don't get this, a 10K+ USD MC phono with a fixed input impedance.
LAMM could at least offer a point at which the user may solder a resistor with specific value..

BAT does this, DartZeel, Atma-Sphere, CAT too. Still the most audiophile way, it skips a switch or relais.. And still no remote volume ? I could be a LAMM guy very well, but these two design choices keep me away. what do you think?
Lamm's CES handout indicates the price is $8690.

Volume control is best suited for a linestage or preamp, and not normally found on a dedicated phono stage, so no surprises there.

The fixed impedance load may or may not work optimally for any given cartridge and I agree it doesn't meet the variable loading check list feature. (I do like the way Atma-Sphere handles cartridge loading on its MP-1 preamp; you can use whatever resistor values you like and don't even need to open the lid to make changes.) Regardless of manufacturer suggestions, I've found sonic results are all over the map with different load values and often not what one would expect. Actual listening will tell the tale. Lamm certainly had success with the predecessor LP2 which also had a fixed input impedance.

I suspect a primary appeal of the LP2.1 is delivering the Lamm sound in a phono stage.
I've not heard the new unit and have no affiliation with Lamm.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 PM

I think fixed is likely best...but limits choice for sure. I'd love to know how the LP2.1 compares to the LP2 ...the LP2 was so heavily and favorably reviewed...wondering if the LP2.1 is a serious or minor improvement....
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
I think fixed is likely best...but limits choice for sure. I'd love to know how the LP2.1 compares to the LP2 ...the LP2 was so heavily and favorably reviewed...wondering if the LP2.1 is a serious or minor improvement....
I would rather stay with the LP2 with the NOS WE417A over the "normal" Russian tube. So far, I have not heard any small Russian tube that sound better than some of the most exotic NOS.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
I would rather stay with the LP2 with the NOS WE417A over the "normal" Russian tube. So far, I have not heard any small Russian tube that sound better than some of the most exotic NOS.
I am running a LP2 with with some amperex 5842's, how do these compare to stock and WE417A's?