AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Thase13 Thase13 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thase13 View Post
There are so many vague or subjective references ("best/optimal", "some people", "they can be tough to get sounding their best") in your question that I'm not sure how to answer. All I can say is that my experience was trouble free, my system set up with relative ease, and that I'm quite satisfied with the end results.

Of course, I can only speak for myself and everyone else's mileage may vary.
JBags,

I just came back to this thread and realized that I came off sounding a bit harsh in my earlier reply. It was purely unintentional and I apologize.

What I was trying to say is that "best/optimal" is pretty much in the eye of the beholder so what sounds best/optimal to me, might be perceived otherwise by someone else listening to my system. Regarding the "some people" part of the question, that part is pretty generic and hard to interpret - much like "they say" or "everyone agrees". I hope you understand my dilemma - there's simply not enough detail there to formulate any type of helpful response. Finally, "they can be tough to get to sound their best" could apply to any/all speakers when all of the other independent variables are left undefined. I would imagine Magico to be no different when matched with non-complimentary equipment.

Consequently, not knowing how to address the open-ended statement attached to the back end of your question I chose to answer the former by relating that I had no difficulty coaxing a sound that pleases me out of my pairing of my Magico M3s to my Constellation Audio separates while acknowledging that others might audition my system and determine that it's not their cup of tea.

Again, I apologize for the impertinent tone in my "vague and subjective" response to your question. It was not my intention to come off sounding so coarse.
__________________
Primary System: Kronos Pro w/SCPS-1; SAT LM-12 w/SAT Kronos Armboard; Air Tight Opus 1 Ermitage; Constellation Audio Virgo III; Constellation Audio Perseus; Constellation Audio Performance DC Filter; Constellation Audio Centaur II 500 Stereo; Magico M3 w/MPODs; Kubala Sosna Sensation; Shunyata Hydra Triton v3/Typhon QR, Shunyata Sigma NR power cords; Artesania Exoteryc 3+3 Rack w/Platform; Artesania Aire Floor Platform; Audio Desk Systeme Pro; Venta Kuubel XL-T

Secondary System: Aurender N10; PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player; Mark Levinson No. 526; Mark Levinson No. 534; Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; PS Audio P10; Zoethecus Rack
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 AM
Charles Charles is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I'm using D'Agostino M400 monoblocks with Transparent Audio cables. The MSB front end creates a meaty analog like sound that the D'Ag's pass unadulterated to my Magico M3's that then present it perfectly.

Cincy
You have such an elegant simple system. Beautiful! Could you comment on how the Q-sub interfaces with your M3's?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Cincy2's Avatar
Cincy2 Cincy2 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have such an elegant simple system. Beautiful! Could you comment on how the Q-sub interfaces with your M3's?
Actually, the Q-subs are not delivered yet. I'm currently using a pair of REL subs but the answer is the same. I used an audio tool to measure my room's frequency response. I had a big bass dip in the 30-50Hz region of the spectrum. The rest of the plot was really quite flat. I couldn't get rid of the suck-out with any manipulation of speakers or listening position without hurting the response in the other 90% of the spectrum. Put the subs in place. Cut them at 50Hz and measured the response a few more times adjusting their volume until I had a fairly flat response over 15-100Hz. I noticed that the overall presentation (soundstage, 3D images) improved although I can't explain why. I'm currently happy with the sound but the allure of having both Magico speakers and the Magico subs was too much to resist. When they arrive in a few weeks, I'll get some help setting them up from the Magico dealer and a Magico employee who helps with most hi end set ups of this nature. I'll post the results. Probably May before all this happens.

Eric
__________________
MSB Select II DAC
D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks
Magico M3 Speakers
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Jbags Jbags is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thase13 View Post
JBags,



I just came back to this thread and realized that I came off sounding a bit harsh in my earlier reply. It was purely unintentional and I apologize.



What I was trying to say is that "best/optimal" is pretty much in the eye of the beholder so what sounds best/optimal to me, might be perceived otherwise by someone else listening to my system. Regarding the "some people" part of the question, that part is pretty generic and hard to interpret - much like "they say" or "everyone agrees". I hope you understand my dilemma - there's simply not enough detail there to formulate any type of helpful response. Finally, "they can be tough to get to sound their best" could apply to any/all speakers when all of the other independent variables are left undefined. I would imagine Magico to be no different when matched with non-complimentary equipment.



Consequently, not knowing how to address the open-ended statement attached to the back end of your question I chose to answer the former by relating that I had no difficulty coaxing a sound that pleases me out of my pairing of my Magico M3s to my Constellation Audio separates while acknowledging that others might audition my system and determine that it's not their cup of tea.



Again, I apologize for the impertinent tone in my "vague and subjective" response to your question. It was not my intention to come off sounding so coarse.


No worries at all, and I know this hobby of ours is very subjective. In addition the way a system sounds is dependent on many factors, the room, the electronics, cables etc.

I know my question was a bit vague, the truth is I let a sales person get into my head a bit. I found a local Dan D’Agostino dealer so I contacted them asking for prices and availability. They asked me what speakers I was looking to pair the amps with and when I said Magico’s he started to criticize the speakers and brand. One of his comments regarding the Magico’s were that they are very hard to get “sounding good” and that the brands he carries are far superior. And instead of me realizing that he was just trying to push his products I started to have doubts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM
marsalis marsalis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
Default

You can say many things about Magcio, "hard to set up" is not one of them.
Just look at objective data; these are some of the most linear, well behaved, smooth measuring loudspeakers out there. In the real world all that translates to “easy setup”
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 AM
Charles Charles is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Actually, the Q-subs are not delivered yet. I'm currently using a pair of REL subs but the answer is the same. I used an audio tool to measure my room's frequency response. I had a big bass dip in the 30-50Hz region of the spectrum. The rest of the plot was really quite flat. I couldn't get rid of the suck-out with any manipulation of speakers or listening position without hurting the response in the other 90% of the spectrum. Put the subs in place. Cut them at 50Hz and measured the response a few more times adjusting their volume until I had a fairly flat response over 15-100Hz. I noticed that the overall presentation (soundstage, 3D images) improved although I can't explain why. I'm currently happy with the sound but the allure of having both Magico speakers and the Magico subs was too much to resist. When they arrive in a few weeks, I'll get some help setting them up from the Magico dealer and a Magico employee who helps with most hi end set ups of this nature. I'll post the results. Probably May before all this happens.

Eric
Cincy2, absolutes congrats. I would want to have the all Magico system also. I would love to hear your system especially when your Q-subs arrive. I have never had opportunity to hear a Magico. Magico M3's with Q-subs/Dag Momentums/MBL II Select/ complete Transparent equals a system that will compete with the best. You have a reference system.

____________________
Charles Updated System
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box

Last edited by Charles; 03-06-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Jbags Jbags is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 204
Default

So I just pulled the trigger and ordered the M2’s. Extremely excited. Now it’s really time to decide on an amp
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM
crwilli's Avatar
crwilli crwilli is online now
Racing Hoopties


 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bluffton SC
Posts: 7,732
Default

Why not try your big Brystons?
__________________
Main room - Sonus Faber Stradivari, JL Audio F113v2 & CR-1 Crossover, McIntosh MC2301 Amplifiers with Stillpoint Ultra SS feet, McIntosh C1100 on Stillpoint Minis, Esoteric K-03X on Stillpoint Minis, Cybershaft Ultimate 2 OP17 on Stillpoint Minis, SilenZio v.2 Audio by -E- Media Server (running ROON), GigaFoil v4, Keces P3 with Ghent PC, 9 M Supra Cat 8+ and 0.65 M Revelation audio ethernet cables.

Other - 2 Stillpoint Apertures, GIK Bass Traps, Vicoustics Waveguide panels, Shunyata Alpha Clock 75 1.5 meter BNC, Shunyata Alpha 1.5 meter USB, WW Gold Eclipse 7 SCs, WW Silver Electra 7 PCs, WW Silver Eclipse ICs; 3 X 20 Amp Power lines, PS Audio P10 & Dectet, 3 Sound Anchor stands, Powerports and numerous Noise Harvesters. Furutech Flex 50, Cable risers, HRS dampeners

TV Room Audio - Panasonic TC-P60GT50, McIntosh MX-121, MC7106, Revel F52 & C32, B&W LM1, Sonos Connect\W4S Remedy\iFI 9V Power, WW & Kimber cables, PS Audio Dectet
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Jbags Jbags is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Why not try your big Brystons?


You think? I was initially thinking of going either D’Agostino, AVM(which I hear pairs very nicely). And going to listen to others as well.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
crwilli's Avatar
crwilli crwilli is online now
Racing Hoopties


 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bluffton SC
Posts: 7,732
Default

It was just a thought.

Might save yourself some significant $$$ by finding the Big Brystons do a great job with your new speaks.

I THINK Ivan used these to drive the TAD Reference 1s to a great level..
__________________
Main room - Sonus Faber Stradivari, JL Audio F113v2 & CR-1 Crossover, McIntosh MC2301 Amplifiers with Stillpoint Ultra SS feet, McIntosh C1100 on Stillpoint Minis, Esoteric K-03X on Stillpoint Minis, Cybershaft Ultimate 2 OP17 on Stillpoint Minis, SilenZio v.2 Audio by -E- Media Server (running ROON), GigaFoil v4, Keces P3 with Ghent PC, 9 M Supra Cat 8+ and 0.65 M Revelation audio ethernet cables.

Other - 2 Stillpoint Apertures, GIK Bass Traps, Vicoustics Waveguide panels, Shunyata Alpha Clock 75 1.5 meter BNC, Shunyata Alpha 1.5 meter USB, WW Gold Eclipse 7 SCs, WW Silver Electra 7 PCs, WW Silver Eclipse ICs; 3 X 20 Amp Power lines, PS Audio P10 & Dectet, 3 Sound Anchor stands, Powerports and numerous Noise Harvesters. Furutech Flex 50, Cable risers, HRS dampeners

TV Room Audio - Panasonic TC-P60GT50, McIntosh MX-121, MC7106, Revel F52 & C32, B&W LM1, Sonos Connect\W4S Remedy\iFI 9V Power, WW & Kimber cables, PS Audio Dectet
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase