AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Oppo 105 Darbee - with Modwright - Direct DSD

I've been thinking about what would be my best bet to upgrade from my McIntosh MVP881. One of the options that I came up with is the Modwright Oppo 105. I called Kristin at Modwright today (who is really great to work with) and she stated that they are announcing the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee edition today (I guess it was the right day to call!). I didn't know anything about the Darbee edition until I researched further. The Darbee edition is something that is coming straight from Oppo. For most, the improvement in picture quality is enough of a reason to spend the extra $100. But, I also discovered that the Darbee edition upgrades the DAC input to allow direct DSD streaming from a computer. That is a nice upgrade!

From Modwright, the modifications all remain the same....many talk about amazing sound quality.

Last edited by Bikeman71; 02-04-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
I've been thinking about what would be my best bet to upgrade from my McIntosh MVP881. One of the options that I came up with is the Modwright Oppo 105. I called Kristin at Modwright today (who is really great to work with) and she stated that they are announcing the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee edition today (I guess it was the right day to call!). I didn't know anything about the Darbee edition until I researched further. The Darbee edition is something that is coming straight from Oppo. For most, the improvement in picture quality is enough of a reason to spend the extra $100. But, I also discovered that the Darbee edition upgrades the DAC input to allow direct DSD streaming from a computer. That is a nice upgrade! From Modwright, the modifications all remain the same....many talk about amazing sound quality.
Calling Jeff!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Any more info on Darbee edition?

Sent from my iPod touch using A.Aficionado
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
The Architect

I believe that the ModWright Oppo 105 is an outstanding universal player, and I'm extremely pleased with mine. The Darbee edition for the extra $100 is a no-brainer, both for the enhanced video processing but also more importantly for the upgraded USB digital input which does allow for DSD processing by the DACs. The non-Darbee version will play DSD files, but only via USB connection with an external hard drive or memory stick. I don't have a lot of DSD digital files at this point, so this isn't a huge issue for me, but for the extra $100 having that option on the new player is an easy choice to make. My understanding of the Darbee processing is that it is somewhat display dependent on the level of improvement, and that is does make a more significant difference with 3-D material if that matters to you.

As far as the sound quality of the ModWright Oppo, it would definitely be a nice upgrade for you over your MVP881, both in terms of features and sound quality. I have heard both units multiple times, and while the 881 is a nice sounding unit, the MW 105 is definitely a better sounding player, especially once you upgrade the stock tubes. Be sure to let us know what you decide on...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I believe that the ModWright Oppo 105 is an outstanding universal player, and I'm extremely pleased with mine. The Darbee edition for the extra $100 is a no-brainer, both for the enhanced video processing but also more importantly for the upgraded USB digital input which does allow for DSD processing by the DACs. The non-Darbee version will play DSD files, but only via USB connection with an external hard drive or memory stick. I don't have a lot of DSD digital files at this point, so this isn't a huge issue for me, but for the extra $100 having that option on the new player is an easy choice to make. My understanding of the Darbee processing is that it is somewhat display dependent on the level of improvement, and that is does make a more significant difference with 3-D material if that matters to you.

As far as the sound quality of the ModWright Oppo, it would definitely be a nice upgrade for you over your MVP881, both in terms of features and sound quality. I have heard both units multiple times, and while the 881 is a nice sounding unit, the MW 105 is definitely a better sounding player, especially once you upgrade the stock tubes. Be sure to let us know what you decide on...

I'm not sure I understand the distinction that's being made here. I happen to have a 105D due to arrive in a couple of days and was curious.

Thank you.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
I'm not sure I understand the distinction that's being made here. I happen to have a 105D due to arrive in a couple of days and was curious.

Thank you.
I understand that with the Darbee edition, you can stream DSD direct from your computer to the Oppo. With the non-Darbee edition, a memory stick or other vehicle must be used and accessed with the menu on the 105. Basically, it makes DSD files directly available from your computer.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh, and I just placed my order for the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee. It will be completed by March 17th. You may want to give Modwright a call now if you are interested....it's not posted on their website yet, but they have an incredible deal running for the Oppo 105 Darbee Edition modification.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Hi Brent,

I didn't know about the direct streaming ability, thank you. I also have an external hard drive coming so it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference between the two.

The Modwright will have to wait until funds allow. I did have a Modwright/Music Hall CD-25 that I bought about 10 years ago and thought they did an excellent job on the player.

Regards,
Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
I understand that with the Darbee edition, you can stream DSD direct from your computer to the Oppo. With the non-Darbee edition, a memory stick or other vehicle must be used and accessed with the menu on the 105. Basically, it makes DSD files directly available from your computer.
True. In addition, all the 10X models will pull DSD from your computer via Ethernet/SMB.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 AM

Anyone compared the Modwright to EVS OPPO mod? I'm looking for a 1 box player.