AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 PM

Dave Brubeck Trio - BLUES ROOTS - featuring Gerry Mulligan.

Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-253716068.jpg (16.3 KB, 5 views)
Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Life is beautiful

Another highly energetic recording from that special period ('55-'65).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Life is beautiful

And I see we've posted already:

Quite an active thread!

Thank you for all interesting contributions!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Jamie Cullum - Pointless Nostalgic

If free jazz is the sun and modal jazz is mercury, then Jamie is orbiting somewhere beyond Jupiter - jazz standards with a strong pop streak and retakes on songs that are just not jazz. Nonetheless, I really like this guy for his passion, energy and developing talent. Great piano playing and a voice that I am getting fond of. Well recorded, toe tapping, recommended.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Big Phat Band - That's How We Roll

A little closer to the sun ... I think of this as big band/swing with a shot of modern pop.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Holly Cole Trio - Don't Smoke In Bed
Groove Note LP GRV 1024-1

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

Another highly energetic recording from that special period ('55-'65).
Bart, I like your taste in jazz.

I have this, but the Music MAtters 45 RPM is on my wish list.

I met Horace once at a bookstore signing in St. Louis. He autographed a CD of Blowin' The Blues Away.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Hard bop (say '55 to '65) has so many outstanding artists.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Life is beautiful

This is definitely something else:

Scandinavian landscapes, dreamy from time to time, and then some strong emotions thrown at you but not in a abrupt manner; it's touches you and then floats away again... Bizarre, fascinating. Cataloged under jazz so I post it here.

This is from Amazon:
I have owned this CD for a few years now & am always compelled to put it on & 'discover it again'. Listening to it recently, I came to the assumption that this is not jazz or classical or any other genre for that matter... just four musicians distinctly in tune with one another & with an enormous depth in their musical heritage. It also reminded me of how music, like all art, is purely subjective & how this particular style of music (almost like an abstract painting) moves me but not necessarily others. This CD is where European Baroque & Romanatic music meets the neo classicism of the 1960's free jazz movement.
The music is a journey, unstructured but never boring. The bulk of the CD sounds as it is titled.... unpredictable & beautiful. Rypdal's guitar at times conjures up images of a swirling tornado, ripping water from the guts of the ocean only to be assuaged by the sweeping melancholia of David Darling's cello. "Laila" is a case in point where the quartet open up with something I can only describe as frenzied lonlieness. It would be remiss of me & downright disrespectful not to mention Jon Christensen, the drummer. I read a review of a Thomasz Stanko Cd (From the Green Hill) where the reviewer said quite simply about Christensen that he has "become so adept at his craft that he only plays the music now" That, I feel was a profound statement, & it is never more apparent than his emotional percussive intro to "The Mother"
This is a special CD full of emotional crescendos & wonderful sounds. I would recommend other ECM releases such as Thomasz Stanko's "Litania" or Paul Bley's "In the Evenings Out There" as music with equal depth. If you are after something a little more predictable but no less beautiful, purchase Ketil Bjornstad's & David Darling' "The River" or "Epigraphs". Completely faultless!!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

If my wife were home today I could annoy her by playing this. Personally, I love it, but it's not for everyone. Nevertheless, it's a jazz classic and an important album in the annals of free/avant-garde jazz.

Ornette Coleman, "Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation by the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet"
Quartet (left channel): Coleman, Don Cherry, Scot LaFaro, Billy Higgins
Quartet (right channel): Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell
Atlantic 1364