AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
mcpaf76,
Cables are so system dependant. I suggest trying a used pair of Niagara cables.
How would you describe the sound of your Oak speaker cables?
I'll definitely look into that, used or maybe old stock somewhere, as well as the other recent models. Oak is very full sounding, relaxed without losing any detail. The Comet was as detailed but lost some fullness, due to the smaller gauge wire I believe. Also very snappy, transients had a lot more punch to me, compared to my DH labs, Silver Sonic Q10's which weren't bad at all themselves. The Oak was last thing I changed on my system and I honestly have no complaints about it now, nothing I feel needs to be addressed. Although there's always room for improvement somewhere. Cables are definitely system dependent, but the Oak's worked so well, I'm thinking a complimentary AQ interconnect could have even better synergy then what I currently have.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player

Last edited by mcpaf76; 11-15-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
I'll definitely look into that, used or maybe old stock somewhere, as well as the other recent models. Oak is very full sounding, relaxed without losing any detail. The Comet was as detailed but lost some fullness, due to the smaller gauge wire I believe. Also very snappy, transients had a lot more punch to me, compared to my DH labs, Silver Sonic Q10's which weren't bad at all themselves. The Oak was last thing I changed on my system and I honestly have no complaints about it now, nothing I feel needs to be addressed. Although there's always room for improvement somewhere. Cables are definitely system dependent, but the Oak's worked so well, I'm thinking a complimentary AQ interconnect could have even better synergy then what I currently have.
Cables are funny. I replaced Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLRs with the Audioquest Fire. In my system I prefer the Fire in every way we judge cables!
Using logic I rushed out and purchased a Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Surprise!!! I prefer the Wireworld Platinum USB cable in every way we judge cables!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I agree. Go for the silvers.
I still use AQ Sky XLRs in my system and they're excellent.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Cables are funny. I replaced Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLRs with the Audioquest Fire. In my system I prefer the Fire in every way we judge cables!
Using logic I rushed out and purchased a Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Surprise!!! I prefer the Wireworld Platinum USB cable in every way we judge cables!
Yeah it's risky I could have already found that synergy with my existing setup. Its about 80% WW right now.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 AM

mcpaf76,
Your Sopra 3's are really gorgeous. My dealer had a pair dedicated to a sweet room with VAC gear, Clearaudio Innovation Master / Shelter Harmony (now mine ), on a CMS rack -- and man they sung beautifully! Phenomenal. I even considered the Sopras for a minute before I stuck with Tannoy. The speaker cables were AQ Redwood, so that speaks very well to the synergy with your Oaks. Definitely, I agree that synergy is key and can be particularly tricky/unpredictable with cables. One brand may work best for ICs, another for power, another for speakers, etc. But it is very expensive & time consuming to keep trying things!

I've never tried going through an AQ distributor, so that's disappointing if they can't provide demos, or even a quick answer. I've either borrowed from my dealer, bought used, or bought brand new blind. AQ customer service is great to deal with for advice, and for any reterm/repair/splitting service you need on AQ cables in hand.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 AM

My experience with Audioquest's customer service has been horrible! I've been in this "hobby" for 30 years and this is the worst customer experience I've ever had.
Several weeks ago I called customer service explaining that I wanted to demo Wild Blue Yonder and Oak. I told them my local dealers didn't have them and I already contacted the local distributor several times. They basically told there was nothing that they could do. I've called, sent emails, and texted the distributor with no response. I decided to rule out their speaker cable and will audition Shunyata Alpha and Clarus Crimson speaker cables.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Whenever I've contacted Audioquest they've gotten back to me promptly with whatever information I was looking for. Distributors typically don't deal with customers directly, if they're not getting back to your dealer than I would find a different dealer. When I demoed my cables they were the dealers copies they didn't specifically get them in for me to demo.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 AM

I'll chime back in here with some random thoughts.

Though Fire is a little better than Niagara, I think you can drop Niagara into a system and get the full effect of the AQ silver line. I couldn't in good conscience tell someone they have to try Fire first at 3X the cost, even on the used market.

I haven't tried Sky but agree that they were so widely counterfeited that I'd have a hard time buying any, besides the fact that they seem to still be pretty expensive.

Wind was the direct replacement for Niagara and I tried them too. I thought they basically sounded the same as Niagara with a new connector which I didn't love. Wind can be had for a song used. For some reason it seems like a pariah.

I use CastleRock speaker cables which are all copper and sound very good. I'd like to go up to Oak but it would be short term since I want to end up at solid silver speaker cables. If you have seen a cable like Oak which is 9gauge and actually feels like it has some metal in it, it would be hard to go back to the skinnier stuff.

It is a shame that AQ has chosen to price their solid silver speaker cables such that it eliminates all but the insane and very wealthy from buying them new. I'm not wild about the copper/silver mix....maybe they do sound better as you go up with more silver but it smacks of marketing. There's been some good advice here regarding going back in time to some older silver speaker cables that can be had at a competitive used price.

Older cables leads us to AQ customer service which I think is super, but I only speaking to dealing with them directly. They are more than willing to cut up and reterminate anything at a fair price which almost no-one will do. Most manufactures stick their head in the sand in regards to the used market do everything they can to penalize or make it hard on people who buy their stuff second hand.

Dealing with an AQ rep or dealer may be a totally different issue in terms of customer service.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 PM

Thinking about trying Earth XLRs, seems like would work well with my all PSC+ Oak speaker cable

Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 AM

I would urge you to skip the Earth IC's and try some Niagara or Wind. I think you will get a smoother, more lifelike sound.

TD