AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:30 AM

Hi - do you have instructions on which scrws to remove to get to the hard drive? I beleive the fan must be removed as well and there are hidden screws from what insee. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Racing Hoopties

There are no hidden screws.

There are four screws and two wire clips that need to be removed to pull the HDD holder/frame out. Then a few (don’t remember how many) that hold the HDD in that frame. They are obvious.

Install your SSD in the frame and then reinstall the frame back into the Sony. 2 wire clips and 4 screws. Put the top back on, plug it in. Ignore any warnings. Go to setup and format the internal HDD.

You should then be ready to start the painstakingly slow file transfer process. It has taken me over a week to transfer my buddy’s large collection (2tbs) using Windows via Ethernet.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM

There is a Micron 2TB SSD drive on Amazon today for $319.00.

Sweet deal!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 PM

ProjectMan-

Thanks for the Micron Tip. Just installed one last night on the laptop server as the 500gb SSD I installed a year ago was almost full. Seems to be booting faster than the Samsung EVO.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
There are no hidden screws.

There are four screws and two wire clips that need to be removed to pull the HDD holder/frame out. Then a few (don’t remember how many) that hold the HDD in that frame. They are obvious.

Install your SSD in the frame and then reinstall the frame back into the Sony. 2 wire clips and 4 screws. Put the top back on, plug it in. Ignore any warnings. Go to setup and format the internal HDD.

You should then be ready to start the painstakingly slow file transfer process. It has taken me over a week to transfer my buddy’s large collection (2tbs) using Windows via Ethernet.
I followed this and had no problems. However it should be noted that a magnetized driver for the screws should be inserted for the newbs in working in a box
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Racing Hoopties

A magnetized driver can help but I think you need to be careful with them around the electronics. Glad you were successful!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-04-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Everything is loaded onto the new SSD and I'm now sitting back and listening to music.

A few observations regarding the SSD upgrade:

Boot-up time was never really slow to begin with, but is now noticeably faster. Not a huge deal for me since it takes less than 30 seconds to boot anyway.

Accessing tracks and moving thru the menu was always "fast enough", now it's instantaneous. A definite improvement.

The biggest benefit is file transfer speed. It used to take 24-26 hours to transfer 7500-ish tracks (I now have 7848 tracks). With the SSD installed, it only took about 15 hours.

The indexing time improved substantially too. Loading and indexing combined, used to take over 30 hours with the conventional 2TB drive HDD. With the SSD, both tasks were accomplished in less than 23 hours!

Sonically, it's probably my imagination, but I do hear a subtly tightening and deeper extension in bass. I need more listening time with known tracks to tell for certain. Again, probably my imagination since the tracks aren't streamed live from the HDD or SSD.

I don't know that I would upgrade to an SSD solely for the transfer/indexing performance increases since you really only do this once. Plus, adding a single CD at a time was always fast enough and you'd likely never appreciate it or even notice the speed increase an SSD brings when transferring a single CD.

All in all, the above along with the typical benefits an SSD brings (no moving parts, high reliability, less heat, no noise, etc...), I think it's worth the $320 for the upgrade.
Not a Sony guy, but I have upgraded both a Mac Mini and Naim Uniti from HDD to SSD.

On the Mac, I noticed an improvement in sound quality, most likely for the reasons cited by the other poster.

I think you understate the improvement in file transfer speed. You were transferring from HDD to SSD, so the lion's share of your time was spent by the HDD. You'll be in for a pleasant surprise when you back up your SSD to another SSD. Which brings me to the most important point in favor of SSD...

HDD fail a lot more often. This alone is worth the price of the SSD.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM

Default SSD upgrade for Sony HAP-Z1ES

I used to own this unit and loved the ease of use and the upconverted DSD sound. If Sony had gone with Tidal or Qobuz instead of Spotify, I would have kept this unit. The most time consuming issue with the unit is transferring the files to the HD. SSD should help with that process as well as the indexing of the data. But once that is done, I have a hard time understanding how the SSD can affect the actual sound. As I understand it, the data is cached so the transfer speed should not matter. Call me confused. [emoji53]

Last edited by nicoff; 03-04-2019 at 05:17 PM.