AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Hear to listen...

Rob, when I was shopping for my speakers, I wanted to buy Sasha, but they didn't give me goosebumps...Sophia 3 did. To each his own, as they say...

When it came to color, I was afraid that I'd always wonder how cool they'd look in the custom color if I didn't get it, so I got it...blue in my case. We ended up redecorating the room around them.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
the sophia has a 10 inch bass and the sasha and all the w/p's before it had 8's right? so the 8's would be faster and lighter in tone usually. when you have less bass it makes the mids and treble more pronounced right? my concern is a 8 inch wilson is going to give me too controlled and tight bass for what i like with blues,rock and pop. was this the problem for many with the early w/p's? thanks to BillK and Ricjor1 for mentioning their room size which is so important. BillK's comment about sophia's cones in a box reminded me that atribute got a lot better when i went from slower regular 6550's to chryoed kt 120's. this change might help others who feel the same. please comment on bass and mid bass quality for sophias vs sashas and what kind of music you listen to.
I listen to "Contemporary Jazz"(Boney James, David Sanborn, Jessy J, Joe Sample, etc..) and a little old R&B. I agree the Sasha's bass is tighter and some prefer Sophia's bass. "To my ears, in my room, with my equipment(all the same equipment when I had Sophia 3's, except I had a Audio Research DAC-7 with the Sophia's and now I only have the CD player as source) the Sasha's image better, more front to back placement, easier to hear deeper into the soundstage, to my ears the Sasha's are just more musical. I try to keep things in perspective and I'm not suggesting everything is night and day, but to my ears it's noticeable.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM

I went to listen to the Sophia 3s today. I made the mistake of hearing the Maxx 3s with the DCS Scarlatti stack all I can say is wow! I took me a few songs playing on the Sophia 3s to readjust. The room was smaller than the one I heard the Sophia 2s but I was impressed I would say the bass was more controlled on the 3s and the sound was a bit more open. I told the salesman I was interested in the Sasha's too but those were at a different store. I asked if I bought a pair of Sophia 3s and later wanted to upgrade to a better model what would I lose in value. I was told store policy was I had up to a year after purchase to get full price paid towards a better model. I was told they are getting the of Alexia in soon. I'm now eager to hear that, I'm thinking since they have the tweeter and midrange from the Alexandria XLF might it be better than the Maxx in all but low end and dynamics? I'm thinking Sophia then in a year Sasha or even Alexia. I'm wondering if maybe Sasha 2 might be coming in the next year or two.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Rob, when I was shopping for my speakers, I wanted to buy Sasha, but they didn't give me goosebumps...Sophia 3 did. To each his own, as they say...

When it came to color, I was afraid that I'd always wonder how cool they'd look in the custom color if I didn't get it, so I got it...blue in my case. We ended up redecorating the room around them.

Good luck in your pursuit.
It's hard to compare different speakers, different rooms, different associated equipment. What color blue did you get Sebring or Bugatti? It's hard telling what the color actually looks like base on their web site. I watched their latest video of a guy in Redmond Washington getting the Alexias delivered and the color looks orange to me but I think it's Imola Red.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomeint View Post

It's hard to compare different speakers, different rooms, different associated equipment. What color blue did you get Sebring or Bugatti? It's hard telling what the color actually looks like base on their web site. I watched their latest video of a guy in Redmond Washington getting the Alexias delivered and the color looks orange to me but I think it's Imola Red.
He had "Classic Orange" in the video.

Blue has Sebring (if I remember correctly).
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post

Actually, Ferrari Red is a pretty cool color... if it fits in your house as an accent item. And then there's Fly yellow. Sort of "look, I've got Sashas" colors Guess you need to be a car person.

The sound will be great long after the color is forgotten.

Grab 'em while you can.
Bob
Ha! True. I think I need to start another thread before we talk about what should be buying.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
He had "Classic Orange" in the video.

Thanks is an interesting design choice for a living room That explains a lot. I glad my eyes aren't that bad yet. I thought it might be red because that color is not a selection in the I didn't see that as a color selection in the design your speaker selection of the website.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomeint View Post
I was told they are getting the of Alexia in soon. I'm now eager to hear that, I'm thinking since they have the tweeter and midrange from the Alexandria XLF might it be better than the Maxx in all but low end and dynamics? I'm thinking Sophia then in a year Sasha or even Alexia. I'm wondering if maybe Sasha 2 might be coming in the next year or two.
Wilson will replace a product quickly if a quantum leap in performance is to be had, and I suspect they already know exactly how a Sasha with the XLF tweeter would sound. Sasha replaced the W/P 8 about three years after the W/P 8 was released, and the Sasha was introduced in 2009, so…
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
You are correct, Debby! I can post a picture if you want, Rob.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 03-02-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
You are correct, Debby! I can post a picture if you want, Rob.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado
That would be cool. Thanks